1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sandra Day O'Connor Warns Of "Beginnings" Of Dictatorship...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Morning Edition, March 10, 2006 · Newly retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor took on conservative Republican critics of the courts in a speech Thursday. She told an audience at Georgetown University that Republican proposals, and their sometimes uncivil tone, pose a danger to the independence of the judiciary, and the freedoms of all Americans.

Listen Link

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==With all due respect to O'Connor she is clearly not listening to both sides. I think both the democrats and the republicans are guilty of all of that. Democrats are just as nasty as the Republicans (and visa versa). Both promote big government and thus threaten freedoms.

O'Connor's statement is just further proof of the nature of politics. It leads to blindness.

Martin.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sandra Day O'Connor Warns Of "Beginnings" Of Dictatorship"

She did no such thing.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's strange, isn't it, how the title of this thread proclaims something completely different than the actual words Justice O'Connor spoke?

Listening to her comments, I gathered she was countering some of the recent comments made about getting the Judicial branch out of the business of legislation from the bench with which I follow agree. That - legislation from the bench - actually is one thing that does threatened our freedoms. Legislation is the business of Congress. I can understand that the Judicial branch - especially the Supreme Court - does not desire to go back to their original purpose for such would give up power than have taken over the years that was not theirs to have.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I find it strange that the titles to most legislation proclaim something completely different than the actual legalities contained in the text.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I find it strange that the titles to most legislation proclaim something completely different than the actual legalities contained in the text. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, not to take away from my point, but I don't disagree with your statement. I'd much prefer that legislation stick to one subject and not be permitted to have added on unrelated items - pork - added on to them.