1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Santa Claus: The AntiChrist?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JTornado1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

This morning, the teacher in my adult Bible study class told us, "Santa Claus is the Antichrist." He further stated that kids worship Santa and they write letters to him asking him to heal their mother, etc. The teacher says that Santa has a god-like status: He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good.

So does Julian Assange and Homeland Security!

The teacher said he tells kids in front of their parents there is no Santa Claus.

One of the class members stated that when she was a kid, she viewed Santa Claus the same way she viewed Mickey Mouse.

The teacher told her that kids are taught that Santa is everywhere. "So is Mickey Mouse," she replied.

I stated that when I was a kid, I thought of Santa Claus as a guy in a red suit with reindeer who gave kids presents once a year. I didn't view him as a god.

The teacher then said that when he visited a church, the church members sang Christmas songs. One person stood up and sang a Christmas song with Santa Claus in it, and the teacher turned around and walked out.

Any thoughts?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is carrying things too far...

Santa Clause is a harmless cultural icon that stands for goodness. We have far too few of those now. Why work to eliminate another.

We know whom we worship, and that is Christ the Lord! Christ calls out good men to love others, love children, give good gifts, etc., all of which are exemplified in Santa.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

That last bit likely only insulted your Bible study teacher instead of giving him a scriptural basis for your beliefs.

As for the stuff about Santa, sometimes he is treated like a god. He might even in some cases be viewed as AN antiChrist (as opposed to THE anti Christ). However, I can't really figure out why Santa was being discussed in Bible Study. As far as I know there isn't a book called "I Proper Holiday Traditions" in the Bible. What was the purpose of discussing Santa during Bible study?

My second thought is that neither you Bible study leader nor the group knows each other very well nor was either side showing the love of Christ to one another. Not only did your leader take things to far, but so did the group. The lack of respect in both cases may have irrevocably harmed your group.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

We teach our young children the real reason we celebrate Christmas, and that Santa is just a fun little made up story that some people believe. We also tell our young children to have respect for other people and it is not their place to tell other children that he is not real.

Of course I have to laugh how proudly my four year old daughter will respond to an adult who asks her about Santa bringing her gifts. She unashamedly, (and almost with a look of how could they as adults believe) answers them with "Santa is not real".

5. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

Not to worry. Next Christmas the teacher will get a lump of coal in their stocking. :smilewinkgrin:

6. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

That incident in which the person stood up and sang didn't happen in Bible study class but at a church he was visiting.

We were studying Luke 22 and 23, and the teacher started talking about Santa Claus, which had nothing to do with the lesson. He's denounced Santa Claus to the class before.

I don't think the class was disrespectful. I think the teacher needs to keep his opinions to himself. He's gone off topic before to tell us his opinions about subjects that have nothing to do with the lesson.

#6 JTornado1, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The thought comes to mind; when we are known more for what we are against than what we are for, we may have lost the true nature of the gospel.

Like repentance is "turning from" something and "turning to" God, so too is our education. We can preach against all sorts of things, but that in no way furthers the gospel. We should model Paul, John, Peter, and the other writers of the NT and point "to" Christ. All those other beliefs will fall by the wayside as nothing more than they are -- cultural issues that do not effect one's salvation.

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

The responsibility goes back to the parents. We teach our children and build the traditions that define Christmas and any other holiday. Looking at the Old Testament Jewish holidays, they were all teaching opportunities. Our holidays today should be as well.

If we explain how Santa can be a picture of Christ, coming into our homes and giving us gifts, that is good. If we fail to teach what Christmas is really about and let the world define it for us, then we are failing to educate our children.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can tell you right now that Santa is not the antichrist. I have pictures of myself to prove it :)

It's actually a great tool to use with kids to explain the many "omni's" of God and to emphasize giving, what is required to receive a gift and how that all pertains to salvation.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Maybe it's time to find another bible class to attend.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"Earth to Sunday School teacher. Earth to Sunday School Teacher. This is reality calling. Please come down from the North Pole. Your Sunday School class needs you." I agree with Robert on this one. He needs to climb down from his soap box and join his class where they are by helping them to apply God's word to their lives in practical ways. Most have much greater concerns than worrying about Santa.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is what burns me up. If he feels he has the authority to usurp the parents' authority, he has no business teaching anything.

If here were to do this to my children, the next kid he tells it to might see a few teeth missing...

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That is NOT true! Santa is not the ani-Christ! He's SATAN! Just rearrange the letters and beware. BEWARE!

Okay, my real thoughts. Y'all need a new teacher. LOL

I always told my kids Santa was more of an idea, a representation of what we should all be doing as Christians as far as giving to people, but my one didn't believe me and insisted he was real. :laugh:

You don't even want to know what my 16 yr old daughter just said about Santa. :tonofbricks:

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know why this is such an issue. Surely Santa has been commercialized however I tell my kids about the real Santa Clause or Saint Nicholas. And each point of The commercialized Santa I hit on. For instance
    1)Santa wears red suit because it reflects the red Bishops clothes St. Nicholas wore as bishop of Myra.
    2) Presents are important because not only does it put us in rememberance of the three gifts to jesus or God's gift to man but also Nicholas came from a wealthy family and sold his wealth and gave to proceeds to the poor. St. Nicholas attempted to obey Jesus in every regard.

And that this is an honorable way to honor a man who gave his life for Jesus Christ to be included in the Christas story as personifying the Spirit to which God Gave us Jesus and Jesus of himself to us.

And my younger one not able to understand all this I let them watch the vegitales version.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Good thoughts! That's twice today! :D :thumbs:

Gina, we do want to know what she said!

I agree though, a new teacher might be in order.

#15 menageriekeeper, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010