1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Santa or no Santa???? Why do most lie to their kids about this?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 21, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Santa or no Santa???? Why do most lie to their kids about this?

A lie is a lie.. sin is sin right?

Then why do so many parents tell kids that Santa will bring them toys and that if they dont behave they wont get any toys from Santa ext..... ?

I just tell my daughter that for the Glory of God we were able to get her some gifts but that its his Glory and that we dont need just one day a year to celebrate his birth. We have to celebrate that every day.

What are your thoughts?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

I don't think most people lie to their kids about Santa. When asked, they usually tell the truth.

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah.. but in the mean time while a child is growing up they say.. Santa is coming... behave or you will be on the notti list or something like that :laugh:

4. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree, that is not a good thing to say to kids

5. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I don't mean to come across as a Scrooge, but what is the big deal about Christmas? Why do people celebrate the birth of Christ, especially as a religious observance? Whose idea was it?

6. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Yeah you do come off as the scrooge :laugh: just kidding. Well, I think its a great Holiday Season and Why not celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ. I think we should celebrate it every day in fact but the fact that once a year we can all come together and celebrate him his Birthday Bash.. thats awesome. I dont tell my kids about Santa though.. I give God the Glory for the toys and stuff and I make it clear that we should celebrate his Birth 24/7 :jesus: :godisgood: :thumbs:

7. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

I mean, I understand what is being celebrated, I just don't understand why. Col 3:17 says that everything we teach or practice is to be by the authority of Christ, yet I see nothing in the NT that commands, implies, or is an example of the early church celebrating Christs' birth as a religious holy day. Of course, it's tradition around the world, but based on what?

8. readmore

readmore New Member

Col 3:17 says that anything we do must be found in the NT? Are you sure you're interpreting that correctly?

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Even if we allow a man made tradition for yearly celebration of Christ's birth -- does "SANTA" help that idea? OR is SANTA derailing that thought as would SATAN.

10. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

First of all, Santa is a myth. It's something fun for children. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you choose to discuss Santa with your children and they choose to believe it, what's the harm? Most children tend to grow out of Santa. They eventually realize he's a myth and it was just all for fun.

Stop attacking Sanata for God's sake!

Secondly, why does everything have to be found in the Bible for it to be true or right for that matter?

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

If no ones noticed, theres a lot in our lives that are not in the bible. First thing that comes to mind is no one in the bible own a personal copy of God's word, we do, then of course theres birthday and anniversary celebrations, cars and computers, and the list could be endless. Look around your life, your home, how much is not in the bible.

12. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

To do something in the name of someone means to do it by their authority. God has never allowed man to make up his own mind about how to worship Him. Jesus is a King over a Kingdom.

To please God we must have faith (Heb 11:6). Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Rom 10:17). To worship in a way not prescribed by God is to worship in vain (Matt 15:9).

Many celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, or holy day. Since there is no authorization for such, many participate in vain worship this time of year.

God's word is truth (John 17:17). What other standard could one trust for what is true and right?

What do you mean, "Santa's a myth"????:eek:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...what a tortured interpretation.

Santa is one issue. Celebrating the incarnation is now wrong? That's just silly.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ho ho ho.
    If that were true, the everyone would worship him perfectly. That ain't the case, bud.

15. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

Quite! And I have nothing more to add in regards to that.

16. GodlyWoman

GodlyWoman New Member

Sgt. Fury, are you implying that I worship Santa Claus? If so, you are in grave error.

And please stop spuing Biblical verses at me. If you want to debate Santa Claus and why most lie tot heir kids about it then do it! Otherwise, leave it alone already.

Santa Calus DOESN'T take away from God. If you believe it does then you're insecure about your beliefs and faith. You should only worry about your salvation and not other people's.

If you don't want to bring Santa into your world of Christmas celebration, fine. But please don't ruin it for those who do.

IMHO, you're making a BIG issue out of this when you don't have to. You're like the Pharoisees - self-centered and overbearing.

You should be loving, considerate, and tolerant. Instead, you follow the Bible like it's everything, and, as I said, have become like the Pharoisees!

It's sad, but you're ver closed-minded and not open to civil discussion so there's no reasoning with you.

#16 GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I guess we're one of those families that lies to our kids. They believe in Santa Claus and that's just fine with us. We believe in him, too.

I've even stood in for him in parades and at the childrens' hospital.

Children are children for such a very short time. I'm not going to be the one to take that away from them.

18. Link

Link New Member

It's ironic, isn't it, that Baptists and various Protestant groups would be against praying to Mary or St. Nicholas, or writing prayers to them. But if your kids write a prayer to St. Nicholas asking for toys, it's okay. A lot of the Santa Claus stuff is a carry-over from Roman Catholic saint veneration. Parts of it are pagan legends that got mixed in.

St. Nicholas may have been a very righteous man. He lived in Asia Minor around 200 AD and was very generous. Legend says he gave away his fortune as dowries for girls who would otherwise have been sold into slavery, and possibly ended up in prostitution. It is said he was a miracle worker, too. If you read about him, he bears little resemblance to the fat guy with reindeer that we read about.

My Mom told me a story of a 7 year old girl whose parents told her there was no Santa Claus. She then asked, "Is Jesus real?" She didn't tell me and my younger brother about Santa like she did our older sister, after that. She just told us there was a real man named Nicholas who was really good, but that the Santa in the red suit who went down the chimney was make-believe. Even some two-year olds can handle the idea of pretend. They know Spiderman and Frosty the snowman is pretend, so putting Santa in the pretend category.

19. Link

Link New Member

double post

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Santa Claus IS REAL! I am Santa Claus! I ate the cookies on Chrismas Eve...I knew if my son was good or not for the most part...I put the presents under the tree...and I AM REAL, and NOT A LIE!

You people need to get a life! :BangHead: