1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Satanic Symbolism....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 17, 2009.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

No I didn't, but you can continue pressing forward with that thought. I am sure with enough time you will manage to repeat yourself and your point.

Okay, your bible has no symbols on it. I got it.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As was the original KJV decorated with pagan symbols (and additionally containing heretical books).

HankD

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My books on symbols are where I usually live, which is not where I am. I am with a friend while massive renovations by the landlord go on where I rent the basement right now. So I can't look it up in those books. When I go over next time to get my mail, I'll try to remember to look it up but I can't guarantee that I will remember. I will try, though.

Here again, there is probably mainly theory and guessing as to where this symbol began. We know for sure it was used to represent the Trinity.

The reason you see it on pagan sites is that many Neopagans like what they consider to be Celtic culture and symbols because of Celtic paganism being an influence on modern Neopaganism. This does not make this symbol a pagan symbol although they may like it. And no, they would not necessarily know much at all. Their knowledge of history and symbols is not really any better than anyone else's. Some sites may make claims for a symbol, stating a history or whatever, but often it is incorrect.

Personally, I view this symbol as one of those that can be used by Christians because it is still seen as representing the Trinity to many people.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Originally? I checked Wikipedia and we both know they are right.....

5. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

That is far more comparable I believe to the op than days of the week or symbols found on the bottoms of sneakers the crazy youth of America are wearing.

How would I go about verifying said information though.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Again, I ask, what's the problem with displaying a triquetra? My wife has a silver one on a chain which I gave her as a gift.

7. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Bad move buddy, bad move.

It is my unceasing pursuit of furthering my education and continuing forward in expanding my horizons.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Given that you began this thread with on the premise that use of the triquetra is bad, I question your sincrity.

Again, I ask, what's the problem with displaying a triquetra?

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Is this a real question

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes. Again, what's the problem with displaying a triquetra?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Imo, in regards to the issue in the OP about the symbol being on a Bible, it does not matter what it originally was (I looked at Wikipedia as well and they said it "presumably" had religious meaning in pagan religions).

When that Bible was printed, however, this symbol was being used to represent the Trinity. It is not a Satanic symbol on the Bible.

Imo, and this is not directed at you but is a general statement, Christians can get too concerned about symbols; meanwhile, real New Age stuff creeps into the churches through energy healing and mystical stuff.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have to purchase a First Edition AD1611 KJV photographic facsimile (you couldn't afford an original unless you are very rich) from:

Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.
    PO Box 3473
    Peabody, MA 01961

On the third page you will see a photographic reprodution of a pictorial engravement of the AD1611 AV First Edition containing several Pagan symbols mixed in among Christian symbols through out the page.

At the very top of the page is a sunburst with a human face in a halo.

There is also the crescent moon of Islam.

On the top of the pillars just above the representations of Moses and Aaron are several other symbols, one of which appears on our dollar bill: the Great Pyramid with the all-seeing eye of Horus-Isis.

I am looking at it right now.

There is also a section between the Old and New Testament called "The Bookes called Apocrypha" with no explanation that they are not inspired books.

To be fair, the current Articles of Religion (not included in the AD1611 AV) of the Church of England explain that these books are "non-canonical", however one is not told that in the AD1611 First Edition KJV itself.

These Articles of Religon numbered from 6 to 10 to begin with under Henry 8th who formed The Church of England which broke from the Church of Rome to allow Henry to divorce and remarry (The Pope said NO!).

In the early years of the Church of England the 10 Articles of Religion dveloped by Thomas Cranmer in 1536 did not contain a reference to the Apocrypha as non-canonical. At the time, the Church of England approved of "prayers for the dead", a teaching found only in the Apocryphal Books.

These original articles also included the "The necessity of baptism for salvation, even in the case of infants" and a condemnation of anabaptists.

The "Real Presence" in the Eucharist.

The necessity of honoring Mary.

The approval of the use of images.

Today there are 39 articles of Religion which must be accepted "on pain of death for academics or churchmen". I don't think they currently enforce this penalty but some did forfeit their lives for disobedience.

Paul Bunyan (Pilgrim's Progress) spent 12 years in prison awaiting his fate because he preached the Gospel and taught Bible truths to the people without a license from the Church of England and for speaking against the Articles of Religion (such as the necessity of baptism for salvation).

He never came to trial.

HankD

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

if the cross and other christian symbols have pagan origins, how about them? are they off limits for christians too according to the op? To be cosistant the op would ahve to complain about other pagan symbols and words he uses everyday, but eh has swept those away.

14. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Are you asking me a question and then referring to me as if the comment was directed about me and not towards me.

I understand why the cross is used symbolically for Christians. But please provide the many other examples, not the most obvious. Thanks

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some examples.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Rereading my post it is obvious I was not speaking to you.
    I already showed proofs and gave links with lots of info.
    if you nobject to pagan symbols in christianity, you'll have to do away with the cross. otherwise your just picking on a translation, nothing more. And in that case this thread is in the worng forum, it is about a transation, thats it. If it is about pagan symbols, then you need to be consistant.

17. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Sorry about that, I thought..
    was directed towards me, my mistake.

I think your comparing apples to oranges and I am being true to the original post. HankD actually brought up the best example thus far and one that I am researching. Like I said, the meaning of the cross changed for obvious reasons in the eyes of those who followed Christ and those who follow Him today.