1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved by Baptism

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tulpje, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

tulpje,

Since Baptism is what saves you, you are saying that the woman I mentioned in the above post is now in heaven because her son poured a glass of water over her head just before she died? Granted she had no idea what was going on but nevertheless she was baptized.

Just wondering?

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tulpje:
    Wow! there has been a lot of activity on this post in last few hours. I got lost. It's simple. Baptism saves you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tulpje, your displaying blind faith here. Much like the Mormon who prefers to believe that the Book of Mormon (Joseph Smith) is scripture, and not be aquainted with the full facts.

UNP
    Adam

3. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Adam, ever hear the saying "Pot, meet Kettle?" I can just as easily say that your blind faith is in the Church that tells you that 1 Peter doesn't mean what it says.

BTW: What was your question I didn't answer?

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Sir Ed ]

4. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Ummmm.. No, I don't believe in baptism of the dead.

5. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

She wasn't dead though, she didn't die until later at hospital.

6. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Killisa, It was Jesus that saved her through his blood. Did she believe?

tulje
    (little tulip)

7. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

You said Baptism saves, so what does it really matter if she believed or not? I truly doubt she believed if she lead a life of drunkenness and then ended it by committing suicide by taking sleeping pills.

8. tulpje

tulpje Guest

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa..... This is a whole other issue! I'm sorry! If the woman took sleeping pills and comitted suicide, she went to hell cause she had unrepentant sin. the first sin was not havding faith in Christ and the second sin was self murder. she may very well have been saved. That is not the issue at all.

9. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Kelissa, if our sinful actions are what keep us from Heaven then no one will get there. :(

10. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

Sir Ed
    I afraid you have misunderstood me, I don't think it is our sinful actions that keep us from going to heaven - only the rejection of Jesus Christ and his salvation offered freely to all (well in a sense that is our sinful actions, but not like you thought I meant).

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Kellisa ]

11. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa..... This is a whole other issue! I'm sorry! If the woman took sleeping pills and comitted suicide, she went to hell cause she had unrepentant sin. the first sin was not havding faith in Christ and the second sin was self murder. she may very well have been saved. That is not the issue at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:confused: :confused: :confused:

12. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I think the problem is miscommunication.

I don't believe anyone is saying that baptism itself will save anything. I believe the infant baptism group see baptism as opening the door to possible salvation.

If you are not baptized, then salvation is not possible. If you are baptized, then salvation is possible, if you accept Jesus as Lord and do the Will of God.

In other words, baptism saves from an Arminian perspective.(correct me if I'm wrong)

13. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Tuor, If you are not baptized, then salvation is still possible. No where does Scripture say that God limits himself to just Baptism.

14. tulpje

tulpje Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife and I moved to Florida from Wisconsin. Florida is a highly Baptist area. One of the questions we get asked often is where in scripture does it say that people who commit suicide are going to eternal damnation/hell? Of course "Thou shalt not Kill", but they ask what if the person asks for forgiveness right before the suicide. I would like to quote passages. I use Judas's example, but the language is not there. Please help.
    There is no statement in Scripture that explicitly states, in so many words, that people who commit suicide are damned.

When God forbids murder, he forbids self-murder as well as the unauthorized taking of someone else's life. Suicide, in short, is sin. Like all sin, it leads to eternal damnation or hell if not accompanied by repentance that includes reliance on the substitutionary work of Christ. It is thus fully damnable (when accompanied by impenitence) and fully forgivable (when accompanied by saving faith).

Under normal circumstances it is assumed that the suicide is a fruit of unbelief and despair, so very little hope can be entertained regarding the spiritual state of the self-murderer. It is an act that is incompatible with Christian faith and the fruits of faith. The seriousness and sadness of the situation is compounded since suicide normally leaves little or no time for conscious repentance and a trusting return to the promises of our dear Savior. To assume that one who intentionally kills himself is nevertheless saved is therefore presumptuous.

From www.wels.net Q&A

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir Ed:
    Adam, ever hear the saying "Pot, meet Kettle?" I can just as easily say that your blind faith is in the Church that tells you that 1 Peter doesn't mean what it says.

BTW: What was your question I didn't answer?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kettle- how are you? ;)

"On the contrary, I disagree with your blatent disregard for taking scripture in context.

Equally as much I could say to you that woman are SAVED by giving birth to children. After all that is what scripture says right?"

16. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"My wife and I moved to Florida from Wisconsin"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mary, for a minute there I was about to get really scared ;) :D :eek:

17. tulpje

tulpje Guest

I would like o point out that it took the wells Q&A 3 long paragraphs to say what it took me one itty bitty paragraph to say hehe

tulpje
    (little tulip)

18. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Adam, I think I no what verse you are referring to but could you give me a book and chapter. Gracias.

Tulpj, to assume that one who intentionally kills himself is not saved is just as presumptuous.

19. tulpje

tulpje Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:

Mary, for a minute there I was about to get really scared ;) :D :eek:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    hahahahaha

20. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

If possible please let's move a discussion on suicide to another thread. This one is about baptism. Thank you.

UNP
    Adam