1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved by Grace not of works !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

bib

No you remember we are discussing " Saved by Grace not of works"

Now I responded to tome thing you said. Was Abraham Justified by Faith in Gen 12:1-3 or Not ?

Heb 11 uses this very incident in Gen 12:1-4

1Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

4So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

as a reference to Abraham's Faith, Lets look at it Heb 11:8

8By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Now so far you have failed to acknowledge what Paul said was the Gospel preached unto Abraham when God said to him

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Do you deny that Abraham believed the Gospel of Justification by Faith at the Time God Preached it to Him in Gen 12:3 ?

Now you show your inconsistency, you cannot make up your mind when Abraham was Justified. You just stated He was Justified in Gen 15:6

Abraham was not then Justified and accounted righteous, that was just another instance of God confirming him in His Faith.

But you are still avoiding the real issue here. You stated that Christ, the object of Abraham's Faith is what saved him or Justified .

Was Abraham Justified by Christ, the object of His Faith, before he believed ? Even before he believed and obeyed in Gen 12:1-4 Yes or no ..

2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I embrace salvation by grace through faith and not of works because works is the law and faith is believing.

You reject the scripture's definition of works and insert a generic definition. But Paul is very clear as to what he means by "works". He means "the law."

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And more specifically Ceremonial law. Jesus got on people for breaking the heart of the law which would require taking care of parents but people used ceremonial law to avoid this responsibility. What would fall under this grouping of law would be things like circumsision.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I introduced my post with comments on the 1 John text you presented to define "faith" as a work. I responded by analyzing the context to show it referred to saved people and to "faithfulness" not justification by faith.

I responded by giving two explicit texts that contradicted your assertion that faith at the point of regeneration/justification was "of works" but clearly "of grace" (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 4:16.

In response you completely ignore those texts and demand I address something completely different, the TIME of Abraham's justification.

Why should I respond to your NEW topic (time of Abraham's justification) when you completely ignore the texts and evidence I placed before you??? If that is the way this game is played then you can play it by yourself.

My take is that you are not objective or serious in discussing anything but rather you have an axe to grind and so l will simply leave and let you grind your axe.

5. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. By your logic;

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

By your logic, Jesus is telling people they can worship and love ANY god (the Greek and Roman Gods will suffice), and also their Roman lords.

You see the word for Lord is kyrios :
    1) he to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master, lord
    a) the possessor and disposer of a thing
    1) the owner; one who has control of the person, the master
    2) in the state: the sovereign, prince, chief, the Roman emperor
    b) is a title of honour expressive of respect and reverence, with which servants greet their master
    c) this title is given to: God, the Messiah

Then the verse uses the word theos for god. This means:
    1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
    2) the Godhead, trinity
    a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
    b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
    c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
    3) spoken of the only and true God
    a) refers to the things of God
    b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
    4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
    a) God's representative or viceregent
    1) of magistrates and judges

So really according to your argument - Jesus is advocating worshiping any and all gods, godesses, and rulers, not just the Hebrew God - again, according to your logic.

Can you see what a bankrupt argument you are making? Clearly we need to let the Bible define it's own terms and not impose our own definition of "works". We MUST use the Bible's definition of works - which is "the law."

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works (ergon) of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works (ergon) of the law: for by the works (ergon) of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because [they sought it] not by faith, but as it were by the works (ergon) of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works (ergon) of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works (ergon) of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works (ergon) of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
    11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
    12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Rom 3:27 Where [is] boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works (ergon)? Nay: but by the law of faith.
    28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds (ergon) of the law.

#45 Gup20, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  6. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

gup
    Its not my logic, I have presented you with the word of God. You teach salvation by works..That is a false Gospel..

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

If it is by Grace, it is no longer works !

Rom 11:6

6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Now if it [Salvation] is by Grace [which it is], then it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise Grace would not be Grace. Simply put, if being of the Election of Grace vs 5, or Salvation by Grace is a result of anything done by us, be it, our Faith, our Repentance, water baptism, confessing, forsaking sin, or running around the block bare footed three times, or whatever, it is no longer by Grace, Period!

Paul states clearly " that if it be of works [anything done by us]" then it is no more of Grace, and if by Grace, then it is no more of works, so this eliminates the possibility of it being of both ! The old saying we hear, God has done His part, now its up to us to ours, thats nothing but a lie from hell, for scripture never states that nor implies that ! Salvation is not partly by Grace and partly by works [what we do]. The scripture is plain of which of the two opposites man is saved Eph 2:8-9

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Rom 11:5-6

5Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Titus 3:5

5Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Now many False teachers, not of God, have perverted the word of Truth, and state that the grace is of God, but that the Faith is of ourselves by which one is saved, and they proclaim this even in light of the plain Truth of Eph 2:8, and so they make Faith a human condition to get saved, whereas scripture is abundantly clear that man's believing is by or through Grace Acts 18:27b

27And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through[on account of] grace:

It [believing] is as Salvation, a Gift of God that is given Phil 1:29

29For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Paul says Two things have been given to some #1. To believe on Him, that is Christ and #2. To suffer for His sake ! These sufferings have been appointed by God 1 Thess 3:3

3That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.

And so, believing was appointed as well for Christ's sake Acts 13:48

48And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

However overwhelmingly, False religion has bought into this deceptive lie, hook, line, and sinker, and so cometh to Pass 2 Thess 2:11,12,10
    11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Vs 10, they received not the Love of the Truth, which is Salvation by Grace [Election of Grace] not of works !

8. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Man cannot save himself alone but Jesus is saying in this next verse that anybody through no fault of their own that doesn't hear the Gospel can be saved by this ;the Words of Jesus:-- "Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?" And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me" (Matt. 25:37-40).

9. lakeside

lakeside New Member

In my post of #48, no other Church does this more than does the Catholic Church

10. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You teach that faith is a work. That is a false gospel.

I showed you over 2 dozen verses that directly and explicitly refute your position, but you hold to it dogmatically.

You refuse to acknowledge that Paul means "works of the law" when he says "works" which is a point I have demonstrated beyond all doubt.

When you post scripture that says "not by works" I read "not by works of the law" because it is demonstrable that this is what Paul means. While MOST of the time, Paul says "works of the law" or "works of righteousness", you pick the one or two verses where he simply shortens it to "works" and then give the definition of the Greek word for works which means "anything you do." But I have soundly refuted this point. I have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that when Paul says "works" he means "works of the law" with dozens of scriptures.

I showed you how I could similarly cherry pick words (I used the words of Jesus for example) and since Jesus didn't qualify them (love the Lord your God), it could, by your logic, mean that Jesus was saying to worship any god. But we know by the context of Jesus' life, work, and ministry, as well as the body of Jesus' words we have what Jesus' meant by Lord and God. Similarly, we know by the body of the apostle Paul's work what he specifically means when he uses the generic term "works" in Ephesians 2.

But lets look at the truth of why you refuse to acknowledge the clear teachings of scripture, SBM. You hold to some form of Calvinism for the same reason most Calvinists do - because it lets you be a lazy Christian. If God "does" everything for you, then you are free from the responsibilities of the Christian life and walk.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

gup

It is a work,.

1 Thess 1:3

Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

Its a Law Matt 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

God commands belief in Christ 1 Jn 3:23

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

A commandment of God is His Law, i dont care how you attempt to deny it or rationalize it away, you teach a accursed Salvation by works....

#51 savedbymercy, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  12. lakeside

lakeside New Member

The Catholic Church has never taught a doctrine of "works righteousness," that through good works one can earn salvation
    and, in fact, has constantly condemned the notion that men can earn or merit salvation. Catholic soteriology (salvation theology) is rooted in apostolic Tradition and Scripture and says that it is only by God's grace--completely unmerited by works--that one is saved.

The Church teaches that it's God's grace from beginning to end which justifies, sanctifies, and saves us. As Paul explains in Philippians 2:13, "God is the one, who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work."

Notice that Paul's words presuppose that the faithful Christian is not just desiring to be righteous, but is actively working toward it. This is the second half of the justification equation, and Protestants either miss or ignore it.

James 2:17 reminds us that "faith of itself, if it does not have work, is dead." In verse 24 James says, "See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." And later: "For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead" (2:26).

The Council of Trent harmonizes the necessity of grace and works: "If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or by the teaching of the Law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema" (Session 6; can. 1).

The Council fathers continued by saying, "If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification and that it is not in any way necessary that he be prepared and disposed by the action of his own will, let him be anathema" (Session 6: can. 9).

By the way, "let him be anathema" means "let him be excommunicated," not "let him be cursed to hell." The phrase was used in conciliar documents in a technical, theological sense, not in the same sense as the word "anathema" is found in Scripture. Don't let "Bible Christians" throw you for a loop on this one.

So, far from teaching a doctrine of "works righteousness" (that would be Pelagianism, which was condemned at the Council of Carthage in A.D. 418), the Catholic Church teaches the true, biblical doctrine of justification.

13. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry my friend if you detest the scripture. I teach the Bible. The Bible defines works as "works of the law" and faith as "believing the gospel." Why do I teach this? Because that is what the Bible says. If the Bible said that faith was a work, or that works means "anything you do" I would teach this. But the Bible is abundantly clear that we are saved by grace through believing in the gospel.

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

gup

The bible I read , The Spirit of God inspired Paul to use the word works, which the greek word is ergon :

business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

believing is the act of the mind or the heart !

Rom 10:9

9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The word heart is the greek word kardia and means:

the centre and seat of spiritual life

a) the soul or mind, as it is the fountain and seat of the thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavours

So , this confirms that believing is a work or endeavour of the heart or mind. So you hold a view of man being saved by his works ! I dont care how you deny it !

15. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :sleep:
    SBM, I'm done trying to get through to you. Indulging your delusions is a waste of time.

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Well, I have given you scripture !

17. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have given you something on the order of 3 or 4 dozen scriptures that explicitly refute your position, but you refuse to deal with them, or look at this situation logically or rationally. Your position is completely irrational.

Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
    9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Clearly, the scripture sets up an IF... THEN statement for salvation. IF we do xyz, then God does abc. That is the very definition of a covenant. The apostle Paul in Galatians 4:24 says there are two covenants - the Law (works) and the Promise (faith) whereby men can be righteous. Righteousness is required for salvation. Before you claim this to be works-based salvation, let me assure you that Works does not mean "anything you do." Works means "following the law". And YES, works can save you - unless you have disobeyed even one point of the law... if so, you are disqualified from righteousness by the law (works). At that point, only faith (believing the gospel) can save you (make you righteous) from death. Only by believing the gospel can you fulfill the other covenant whereby you can be made righteous. The Greek definition of ergon is irrelevant. Paul is clear in that the word ergon is used to describe the covenant of righteousness from following the law, not to be used generically as you are trying to do by parroting the definition of ergon.

IF you use your unbiblical definition of works (meaning anything you do) then YES, faith is a "work." But if you use the Bible's definition of "works" (meaning following the law) then you can see that faith is not a work, but rather believing the gospel (faith) is the other covenant whereby man can be righteous without works the law. YOU CANNOT USE THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF ERGON! This is not the intention of Paul, and scripture (which I have provided you with an abundance of in previous posts) supports this argument.

Rom 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Jhn 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father [is] in me, and I in him.

Jhn 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

Isa 7:9 And the head of Ephraim [is] Samaria, and the head of Samaria [is] Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

One last thing -- grace comes through righteousness. Righteousness is the power of Grace to give eternal life.

Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.​

#57 Gup20, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by savedbymercy
    Faith is a work, ..

Answer these questions in the order I give them to you please!

1. Is "grace" of works without ceasing to be grace? - Rom. 11:6

2. Is "works" of grace without ceasing to be works? - Rom. 11:6

3. Is "faith" said to be "of grace"? - Rom. 4:16

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Believing is an action of man !

Believing is an action of man. God does not believe for man, God commands man to believe 1 Jn 3:23

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

If you teach that a man is saved because he obeys a commandment, that is a work salvation. The word work is the greek word ergon and it means:

business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

Now, this is the word God inspired Paul to use, and this is the God given definition of the word, I do not care if you do not believe it, it is scripture !

If you say a man is saved because he believed, that is works and contrary to scripture. Rom 11:6

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

By faith works are produced, that is the "work OF faith" not that "work IS faith."

Even though you are misinterpreting and misapplying these texts, let's say you are right, faith is a commandment, a law.

Just because something is a duty does not mean you have the ability to do it! Look at Romans 7:18-19 where Paul says he has the willingness to do something but lack the ability to do it and what he lacks the ability to do is what the law commands.

Now, is faith "of grace" (Rom. 4:16) or has Paul told a lie here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.