1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved? How can we know?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by His Blood Spoke My Name, Feb 28, 2007.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe God plays tricks on people? Do you think Jesus suffered and died on the Cross, accomplishing the whole of salvation so that His sheep would have to wonder about their salvation? It is as clear as day in the Bible that if you believe that Jesus is Who He said He is, that He died on the Cross according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, then you are saved.

How do you know that the blood applies TO YOU? The evidence of this is recognition of the significance of what the blood means. If you believe in the Person and Work of Christ, then that was the whole point of His death: to draw you to Him--for you to recognize who you are and Who He is.

Does this make any sense?

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

AM, this is the most concise explanation, of what saving faith is, that I have ever read. Well done. Flesh and blood hath not revealed this unto you.

Lacy

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that we could take God at His Word, stop worrying about our standing, and freely focus on service.

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we have to have Christ incarnate tell us so, or can we just rely upon His inspired and preserved written Word?

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not Lacy, but I can give a couple of verses, or so. The emphases are all mine, to draw attention to them.
    I dunno'! It sure doesn't sound to me like any lack of assurance on the part of Apollos, John, Paul, and Peter. In fact, I think I'd call this "full assurance" promised by Jesus, the Apostles and the Holy Spirit, and Scripture.

Ed

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We can also rely on the indwelling Spirit of Christ.

John 15
    26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.

7. amity

amity New Member

I won't be asking again. If you still don't understand my question, there is no point is pursuing it any further.

8. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

That was not the reaction I expected. I guess i'm thick headed, but I tried my best to answer your question. I apologize if I missed the gist of it.

Lacy

9. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

BTW, I noticed in your profile that we are neighbors. (Central Texas) I teach in Killeen (actually out on Fort Hood) and I lead the worship at First Baptist in Nolanville. Small world huh?

lacy

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Everything that everyone has said is based upon believing (faith).
    I say that ever how much absolute knowledge you have is ever how much "faith" you have. If you had enough faith, you could move mountains of which we none have.
    Do any of us have enough "faith" to never doubt ourselves. I never doubt God but I do doubt myself at times. That is why we have the valleys and why we have the mountain of God of which He lifts us up on when we are in need. There is no shame in doubting, it keeps you humble and serving the Lord much better than if all were rosey all the time. There is a purpose in all things and they all work for the good of the Lord.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I have 100% absolute doubt in myself. That is the whole point. I am not trusting in any part of myself. There is no shame in doubting my self. In fact we should be ashamed for ever trusting ourself.

OK there seem to be (at least) two very distinct languages being spoken.

Are we talking about doubting ourself or doubting our salvation.

lacy

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Doubting if we are who we profess to be. Are we really one of God's children or not. You must realize that all of the Apostles doubted themselves of whether they were the Judas or not. "Lord is it I". I am not going so far as to make faith void, and everyone of you based your arguments upon belief. If you have never doubted that you are really saved then you are a better man than I am.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to die on what I have inside of me, and next week I am going to have to put it to the test, so it is more than just words with me and I am sure with you also.

#72 Brother Bob, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we all have/had doubts about salvation. This is simply the weakness of the flesh, but it is not ideal. There is nothing pious about full assurance (based on the Word of God), and on the flip side, there is nothing righteous about doubting, either.

Sometimes we don't "feel saved." Since we will never be perfect in the flesh and will struggle with sin, we will struggle at times with "feeling saved." We can never be satisfied in this regard. Remember, salvation is not about who we are but about Who He is and what He did. We will all be the better if we focus not on our standing but on our service. You will struggle to serve if you don't settle the stand.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Paul thought so. Peter believed so, and the Church responds so.

These but scores nay hundreds of verses that speak to our assurance and expectation (hope) of salvation in the promise of God through Christ His Son.Can you really read these and say there is nothing personal to these promises. Can you see that God sent His Son that those who are His are set with confidence their course. The disciples doubted ONLY before the resurrection but please show me one INSTANCE where after the resurrection they doubted Ever again but we know they finally believed. They did not beleive until after the resurrection and it was in the face of their risen Lord that doubt was turned to confidence and NOT in death. That is the very reason for the verse...1Cr 15:55 O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

Again Paul in the same chapter
    When the Jewish people asked Peter "what must we do [to be saved]. Peter didn't say 'Hope for the best and the God who is just will deal it out in the end.' Peter said with assurence:]
    HOw does one belief though differ with that of the devil who believes exactly in who Jesus is, what He did, and all about God. If he believes why is he not saved (besides the fact that the atonement was for man only). It is because he will not submit to the truth of what he knows - he rebels constatantly agianst the truth.

Salvation is evidenced by a changed life, regardless of babe or not.
    I parphrase thin in my verse quote. I live for Him who died for me.

Those who ARE saved (Jesus stated) seek to do the will of my father and since you do not his will you are not His. (paraphrase). There is no desire to LIVE IN sin but still at war with the flesh and able to sin BUT again, not to live in sin.

Jesus speaks of this change, Paul speaks of this change, and even Peter references this change, just as John also speaks to this change.

We CAN KNOW that we are saved for that is WILL of God, that you may know Him, and call Him Abba - Father.

#74 Allan, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short answer: you take their word for it, and let the Spirit do the rest for you.

Personally, I am very careful about calling anyone brother or sister, outside of the church I belong to at any given time.

I prefer to call them sir, or ma'am, or their first names.

16. Disgruntled UK Baptist

It's not based on experience, Amity, it's based on His word. Nothing else.

You quoted a song so i will give you one back

I need no other argument
    I need no other plea
    It is enough that Jesus died
    And that He died for me.

17. Disgruntled UK Baptist

Amity, this is serious. If you are in any doubt at al, and clearly you are, ASK God to show you. Seek Him. When you know, you know. I'm not going to quote lots of scripture at you because you need to know the assurance yourself and perhaps it's a bit different for every one of us. But when you know, you know.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think I know as much that I am saved as anyone on here but as Aresman said, we get pretty low at times and that is just

the nature part of us. If we walked around in the Spirit all the time and were never in the flesh then maybe there would never

be a doubt but we are not in the Spirit all the time. Some seem to think they know more than the Apostles did. They going to

be a whole bunch that thinks "they know it", without ever a doubt, and say Lord we did many wonderful works in thy name and He will say "Depart".

Work everyday for the Lord and make it as sure as you can. I am willing to die on what I know and don't know. When

we wake in His likeness, then we will be satisfied.

2Pe 1:10Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Mat 26:22And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

#78 Brother Bob, Mar 1, 2007
  19. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Explain this statement.

Show me a verse where an Apostle doubted his salvation. Or rather, show me where an apostle expressed that the Blood of Christ may or may not have satisfied his sin debt.

And the promise of new birth to those who believe was in any way an uncertain promise.

lacy

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Bob, they doubted BEFORE the resurrection NOT AFTER.

Find ONE place in scripture AFTER they had seen the risen Lord and new all that He said was truth, that they EVER doubted again. We actually see them facing death and torture with assurance and confidence in that they were PARTAKERS WITH CHRIST.

They did not know him fully and didn't understand that He HAD to die. It wasn't until AFTER the resurrection that He revealed all things concerning Himself and His death to them.

Let me clarify something though about what I mean by 'doubt'.

One happens usaully due to guilt. You did something and wonder "how could I have done that if I were really saved?" in hind sight.
    The other is under the preaching of the word or study and you seem to argue with yourself about how sure you are that you are saved. Here you must be careful, for it is the Spirit of God convicting you of you REAL lostness.
    Guilt is not the same as conviction, for guilt is cast out in the light of truth. But conviction is only appeased by obedience.

One says "if I'm saved why did I...?" and the other "I know I'm saved so why is this bothering me..."
    One is the publican...and one is the pharisee...

Paul says concerning the Lords Supper in I Cor.

Examine yourself to KNOW whether you ARE IN the Faith...

#80 Allan, Mar 1, 2007