1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved in the Old Testament

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

How EXACTLY were people in the Old Testament times saved?

Did this only include Jews or Gentiles, too?

Biblical evidence?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By faith.

Habakkuk 2:4
    Rom. 1:17
    Gal. 3:9

Ruth was a Gentile who became an Israelite by faith.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Faith in what? The coming Messiah? If so, are they covered by grace of Christ as we are?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith in Christ. Abraham rejoiced to see Christ's Day. John 8:56

And yes, grace through faith.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abel had faith in Christ, and by it he offered a more excellent sacrifice than Cain.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It was not faith in Christ. As we can tell by simply reading the OT, they knew nothing of Christ. Abraham's rejoiciung to see Christ's death is a reference to the fact that Abraham lived on. The better sacrifice of Abel was not about Christ; it was about Abel's heart attitude.

They were saved by faith in God and the sacrifice of Christ was the basis for their forgiveness.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

By faith looking forward to coming Messiah

Genesis 22:14, "And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen."

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you pastor Larry, we see eye to eye. ;)

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I believe this to be true to a certain extent, but even though Abraham realizes that God will provide the sacrifice--It doesn't appear that everybody who is faithful in the Old Testament even realizes the coming of a Savior and even some of the prophets may not completely understand what they mean when references are made to an upcoming Messiah.

It is clear that later in the Old Testament days that a Messiah was definitely expected by the Jews due to the Prophetic writings, but I'm not sure this was the case back to the beginning. I think Pastor Larry makes a good description of it. (Maybe certain individuals were aware and had figured it out, but I don't think the majority, before the books of the prophets were written had an understanding beyond faith in The God of Abraham.) IMHO

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What verse in the OT tells anyone that they are saved by looking for a coming Messiah?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean Abraham was not told of his seed through whom all the nations would be blessed? Paul told us plainly that the word is singular meaning Christ. And Abel was not told of the seed of the woman that would crush the serpent's head?

The Apostle told us that the Gospel was preached unto them, Heb. 4:2, therefore those under the OT who were saved were indeed saved by grace through faith in Christ.

13. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

Faith imputed righteousness to the Old Testament saints. They believed that God promised salvation to those who place their trust in him and were obedient to his will. Today, it is that same faith, focused through Jesus Christ that brings salvation. You could say that the cross is the center of all time. The OT saints looked forward to the promise as we look back upon the promise.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

But, you do not believe that all Old Testament people knew that a messiah was coming, do you?

I take it from your article that they did not, but still saved by faith and obedience.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

GodzThunder---I am dancin' a jig around for what you just said [​IMG] [​IMG] ---God bless your heart.

"Abraham rejoiced to see My day and he saw it and was glad."--Jesus Christ!! Now boys---explain this one---if there were no mention of Messiah and a coming Christ---that would mean that this statement by Jesus makes Jesus a liar!

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

blackbird, I have no problem with Abraham, but is this true for all those saved during the OT?

17. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Abraham rejoiced to see the day of Jesus when Jesus was born in Bethlehem. He saw it from heaven.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Again, this I have no trouble with. Back to my original question though is how did the ordinary person in the OT become saved?

19. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Abraham did not have a clue about the cross. He saw Jesus' day from a heavenly perspective, probably after the incarnation. Not even the 12 "looked forward to the cross". Even after it happened they did not understand right away. They did not believe the first reports of the resurrection.

The cross was indeed a future event but it was a mystery to OT saints. They believed that God would do what He said he would do, period. You can find a promise of a redeemer, you can even find a shadow of God providing a lamb, you can even find prophecies that describe a "cross kind of death". YOU CANNOT FIND THE SACRIFICE OF JESUS ON THE CROSS IN THE OT!!! IT IS NOT THERE. I repeat Pastor Larry's challenge, show me one OT reference...

Oh wait, I forget that the amil CT approach reads the NT back over top of the OT and redefines and thereby denies the clear statements of the OT to make it fit their theology.

Salvation was always by FAITH, and it always involved the shedding of blood. BUT the content of faith has varied from age to age and from Biblical Covenant to Biblical Covenant. This is consistent with a CLGH approach to the Word of God. It is not consistent with the practice of allegorizing the passages that do not fit ones theology.

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK then, I’ll try this one though, I’m wondering if David might have known. He sounds like he’s on the track in Psalms 22 esp. 30-31 and what does free spirit mean in Psalms 51:12.

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit

Taking it back in the Strong’s Concordance:

Free mentioning: generous, noble and prince in part, and spirit mentioning: breath, sensible, figuratively life, By resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being.