1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Annual Meeting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preachinjesus, Jun 14, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it's that time of the year again. This year the Southern Baptist Convention is meeting for their annual hoe down in Phoenix.

In case you haven't been following it (honestly I haven't either save watching twitter updates) it's been a lackluster year.

As of today the total number of registered messenger is 4,065.

So what do you think? Let's talk it up. Is this a sign of the future? (Also if you will please identify if you're SBC or not. This is open to everyone.)

2. idonthavetimeforthis

I've watched it on the web this morning for a while. Would like to watch David Platt preach tomorrow.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am a member of an SBC church.

I am willing to bet that nobody wants to go to Phoenix where it is 115 degrees.
    The President (who is our infallible popenator) even put out a memo to DRESS CASUALLY
    and to not wear suits because it will be hotter than [insert your southernistic expression here].

#3 Jkdbuck76, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been a trend toward less attendance at SBC convention. But, there is lots of reasons why it's down. (1) the economy means there's not expense money to go. In our ass'n, 4 pastors who always go, including me, can't afford to go. (2) many pastors would rather go to a church building conference rather than a convention that is basically a business meeting. (3) they have shot themselves in the foot because they have done away with all the evening meetings, so they meet for a just a few hours each day. Why go to all that expense for just a few hours. (4) Alot of the huge attended meetings were when the battle was going on between the liberals and the conservatives in the convention. Baptists love to watch or participate in a fight, so why go? :laugh:

Next year, it's in New Orleans... I'm saving up for some real gumbo!

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not going. Really haven't followed it much. I'm busy enough in my own church doing VBS this week!

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few thoughts:

1) Younger laypersons will not generally be able to attend due to cost, time, job responsibilities, etc.

2) Phoenix in June....are they serious???

3) It is difficult to be motivated to attend a glorified business meeting.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Pheonix is too stinking hot in April, but June? I couldn't believe it's being held there.

Economy stinks too. My husband (secular business) has quite a few conventions to go to annually and for the last several years cuts out more each year.

Times are tough and things just have to be cut. I do think that these cuts on what can and can't be done at the individual level will change the face of how things are done large-scale in the future. People will get used to not going even if the economy every does truly rebound.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can think of a few things less painful then sitting through a church business meeting in Phoenix in the Summer. Who's idea was that!!!???

How about squeezing lemon juice onto a paper cut, gargling vinegar, eating bakers chocolate and dropping a hammer on my toe just to name a few

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I'm not a member of the SBC, but:
    You can find the entire article here:

http://www.christianity.com/blogs/J...com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06/14/2011/

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would be better to go to a biennial meeting or a quadrennial meeting.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I personally agree with less regular meetings. Biannual is fine.

I also believe the convention should be more central. No SBC should be held more than 2 hours west of the Mississippi (okay, Maybe Dallas or San Antonio would be okay). There are plenty of Midwestern cities that would be great venues.

I haven't been in a decade.

However, there's more going on here. Denominationalism is sliding, therefore the vestige of denominationalism is sliding.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that was the rule than those on the Left Coast would be at a disadvantage getting to the meetings.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

So you alienate 2/3 of Southern Baptists by having it in the Mountain or Pacific timezone?

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not have it in areas with more temperate climates? If you are going to have it out west, surely you can not have it in Phoenix. Next year..New Orleans? Then Houston?

Baltimore and Columbus, OH come later, but, wow, that is a rough stretch of climate.

16. mandym

mandym New Member

I am here at the convention and I can tell you that there are 4780.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Two probably stupid questions from an ignorant Brit:

1. What is the usual attendance at the Annual Meeting?

2. Why does a smaller number attending necessarily mean that this year's meeting is "lacklustre" sorry, "lackluster", seeing as how I'm quoting?

For geographically reasons, it's probably needless for me to say that I am not SBC.

#18 David Lamb, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would venture that the economy is playing a huge part in the "decline". Our state deaf association meeting attendance was up a tad over last year's, but nothing like the 300-400 that used to attend in the early 2000's.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly he is right about the demise of the SBC, possibly he is wrong. However where does the demonization stop? Once you have demonized one group of people ... who is next?

It kind of reminds me of the famous quote of Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) and, I believe, was first published in a book entitled, The Thought They Were Free.

#20 Crabtownboy, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011