1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Cooperative Program Proposal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

An ethics daily artilce out today says that the executive board of the SBC is concerned enough about giving that they are making recommendations to the SBC that leadership requires a minimum contribution to the convention. I think that this is a necessary and good step - interesting to me that Perstonworld in my neck of the woods gave only 95K to the cooperative program - but of course Jack Grahm has a huge building to pay for.

Exerpts from the article follow, you can read the full article at

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=7001

Another recommendation encourages the election of state and national convention officers whose churches give a minimum of 10 percent of undesignated receipts through the Cooperative Program state and global missions.

At one time, elected SBC leaders strongly modeled support of denominational programs. In the two decades before 1977, the church where the sitting SBC president was pastor gave more than 12 percent through the Cooperative Program unified budget.

In the decade following 1979, as the focus in SBC presidential elections shifted to baptisms and biblical inerrancy, the average CP-giving percentage of the president's church dropped to 3.4 percent.

During the years of the "conservative resurgence," fundamentalist leaders now admit, support for the Cooperative Program was taken for granted.

The church of the current SBC president, Bobby Welch, has given at least 15 percent through the Cooperative Program for the last 30 years. Other past fundamentalist presidents, like Jimmy Draper, Morris Chapman and Jim Henry, also represented churches with records of strong Cooperative Program support.

Others, however, led churches only marginally supportive of SBC missions.

Jerry Vines, recently retired pastor of First Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Fla., who served as SBC president in 1988-89, once referred to himself as the "first independent Baptist to be elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention."

Yet the 2.3 percent of undesignated receipts that Vines' church gave to the Cooperative Program even surpassed percentages attributed to churches of other SBC leaders.

Bailey Smith's First Southern Baptist Church in Del City, Okla., gave 1.19 percent at the time of his term in 1980-81.

Jack Graham, the SBC president in 2003-04, led Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, Texas, to contribute $95,000 one year to the Cooperative Programs of the Baptist General Convention of Texas and the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, less than half a percent of a budget totaling $17.1 million.

Charles Stanley's First Baptist Church of Atlanta was giving about 2.5 percent of undesignated gifts to the CP when he served as president in 1984-85.

Second Baptist Church in Houston took in $21 million one year during pastor Ed Young's term as SBC president in 1993-94, while sending $105,000 to the Cooperative Program.

James Merritt, SBC president in 2001-02, led a church that gave between 2 percent and 3 percent to the CP.

Adrian Rogers' (SBC president in 1979 and 1986-87) Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, Tenn., gave less than 4 percent.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

"requiring" will go over like a lead balloon. Autonomy of the local church. The article wasn't really clear how there would be any "requiring" anyway.

SBC should be wise in its expenditures as well. The bureaucracy has gotten pretty bloated lately.

I hope they're careful...they've been getting a bit "big brother-ish" lately...and this kind of stuff won't help.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The CP is one reason I avoid SBC churches. In some ways, I line up better with them than the typical IFB church but find it completely unacceptable that a church would fund missions, education, and programs that are not directly accountable to that local assembly.

IFB missionaries probably have a more difficult time raising support. However, we know our missionaries and have specifically approved each one.

4. RandR

RandR New Member

My general distaste for ethicsdaily.com notwithstanding, I think it is only appropriate that those people (be they pastor or laity) who are being considered for leadersihp positions at the denominational level come from churches whose CP giving percentage is at or above the convention average.

I would say that should go for convention officers, executive committee members, or entity trustees.

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Rand

I'm not a huge fan of ethics daily myself - but since you cant get much straight scoop from BP you have to go to both and figure the answer is somewhere in the middle!

I agree with you on those who are in leadership should lead thier own churches to give at least 10%. Seems the SBC has been following the lead of some of these guys however!