1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Executive Committee proposes ouster of church over homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist Believer, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, they have not revealed that information.

According to the church Web site, he is the minister of music, and has been since these things were made more public.

I do not know if the local association has addressed it. I am not a member of that local association.

I am not a member of the Southern Baptists of Texas or a messenger to the Southern Baptist Convention.

I care. Do you?

I'm guessing that if the church in question was a Baptist General Convention of Texas church, Baptist Press would be all over the story.

Now that they've created a precedent for disfellowshipping churches, it can probably get fast-tracked.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then that creates a problem in condemning anyone for personal perceived inaction.

By status I mean his recovery from his past sin.

Then how can anyone intelligently speak to whether or not the "SBC" has not acted on it?

You do not need to be a member of the SBT. And you can ask to be one of the messengers if this is so important to you. Do not sit back and condemn the convention for inaction when you your self can initiate action but do not.

I am concerned that a church may be acting wrecklessly.

Your suspicion is most likely founded in your bias.

There is no need to set precedent. It is part of every association and state convention. It happens more than people generally know throughout the country,

#63 Revmitchell, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. The issue is that he is serving. He has a major character flaw. He is not a person of good reputation in the community. He certainly doesn't fit the standards for a New Testament minister.

A 30-year history of these same actions does not disappear quickly.

The church is in good standing with the association, Southern Baptists of Texas, and apparently the Southern Baptist Convention.

Apparently a minister has to be gay before anyone gets concerned.

Actually, you would.

There have been a number of other people who have sounded the alert over sexual predators in Southern Baptist churches (including this minister) and SBC officials have steadfastly refused to do anything citing either (1) local church autonomy or (2) accusing those who raise the issue of being "liberals" just trying to attack the SBC. (You yourself used the defamatory and condescending label of "libbies" earlier in our conversation to describe those people.)

Why should I expect to get a better hearing?

Here's a place where we agree. The church is acting recklessly.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is repentant, of being gay or sexual predator, then what is past is irrelevant and he would qualify. But I have no way of knowing where he is at.

This is nothing but an assumption based on personal perception rather than grounded in fact.

This is the false accusation I am concerned with. It is unfounded and with out any basis. But you make an attempt to defend this church who brings in gay members and condemn the other church. Even if your suspicion is correct about the other you are doing exactly what you condemn the SBC for.

Not at all, the motion to disfellowship with Broadway came form someone from NC.

The SBC is not a denomination. It has linked to sexual predator lists on its sites and made itself available to assist in researching who these guys are. But individual churches need to do their own work. If a church brings on someone who is a sexual predator no on can be blamed but themselves. The church are not vicitims of the convention where that is concerned. And it is liberals who raise try to make an issue out of it and present the convention as being responsible when such ideology is preposterous. Usually they do it in defense of homosexuals being in the church much like you are doing.

I did not say the church is acting wrecklessly. I said i was concerned they may be. I, nor do you as it appears, have enough info to make that determination.

6. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

It seems to me that many on this forum are quick to accept (if not approve) the deviant behavior of homosexuals while attacking those who insist on following the plain teachings of the Bible. Those engaged in the homosexual (or any other deviant practice) should NOT be allowed to become members of a Baptist church, nor should they be allowed to serve in any position in the church. And yes, the SBC has every right to disassociate themselves from any church for any reason. It is a voluntary organization.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily. The requirement is "blameless," not "forgiven." So he can be forgiven, but that doesn't mean he is blameless, and therefore doesn't mean he is qualified.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

agree with seekingtruth and pastor larry.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You define blameless incorrectly. It refers to current sin not past and repented sin. No one would qualify by your standard. We never hold someone's past and repented sin against them. Never

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No it doesn't. It refers to testimony of a man's life. A man who has sinned in the past or present can still be blameless.

Let's use some examples:

A man commits adultery, repents that night. The sin is past and repented of (your two ideas). Is he blameless? No.

A pastor molests a young man. He repents and is forgiven. The sin is past and repented of. Is he blameless? No.

A pastor goes out gets drunk, makes a scene in a local restaurant, repents and is forgiven. The sin is past and repented of. Is he blameless? No.

Blameless deals with testimony, not perfection. No one is perfect. Many people are blameless ... that is they have controlled their lives and their testimony so that there is no major blot.

Standards for a pastor are higher than for a church member. God set it up that way.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with your well-stated assessment.

I will concede that I would consider a man for pastor even if he had some significant problems in his life many years before, but, as a minimum, had repented of the sin, found mastery in his life over the sin, and had demonstrated in the long term (a decade or more) that he could live a blameless life. But this is not absolute and would definitely be on a case-by-case basis.

I wouldn't even think of supporting a man for church leadership who had a history of being a sexual predator without a VERY long (much more than a decade) documented history of control in this area. Sexual issues like the ones we are referring to go very deep and are often signs of a sociopath. There's a lot more about this man's family history that I don't want to publicly share because it will hurt a lot of people.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thinking about this situation, I realized that this minister's sexual behavior is very similar to Bill Clinton's.

So, on sexual ethic issues alone (not political positions), do you think Bill Clinton is blameless and suitable for inclusion in a ministerial staff?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not see a change. But I would never say never.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture does not bear out your personal definition of blameless. The greek language does not bear this out. And no one not even PL can live up to it. Because now you have to qualify sin. In other words is PL's sin bad enough or good enough for him to be Pastor. An impossible standard and unscriptural.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above statement is in direct conflict with the statement below.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my addition comments are my modifications on his opinion. Fundamentally, I think he has made a very strong case and I believe it. However, I don't want to be legalistic about it and leave room for grace in certain situations.

You're just grasping at things to criticize aren't you?

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taking another ministry position a couple of months after leaving the previous one because you were guilty of being a sexual predator (with videotaped evidence of your crime) in violation of an agreement you made with your former church is not a sign of repentance...

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would agree. Again i would neither defend nor condemn the individual you speak of as I know nothing of the situation.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it wasn't intended to so much criticize as make an observation. You addition is impossible to line up. It is in direct conflict with what PL said.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you are seeing it in terms of absolute law instead of in terms of character issues (which is the way I think most people interpret the passage regardless of the way they might interpret some of the specifics). Looking back at your posts, I sense that you are commendably interested in grace and redemption for those who have fallen in sin, so I suspect you are seeing Pastor Larry's point-of-view as the antithesis of your own.

I didn't get the impression Pastor Larry was interpreting the passage as absolute law (although I encourage him to correct me if I've misinterpreted him), but as a practical, pastoral issue of character and standing in the community.

If a person is held in contempt by the community for legitimate sins (as biblically defined) against themselves or others, they are not blameless. If a person has rehabilitated themselves (in truth, has been transformed through discipleship to Christ through the ministry and power of the Spirit) and has won back the confidence of the congregation and community over a number of years, there may be a possibility for that person to provide leadership in the congregation.