1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Executive Committee proposes ouster of church over homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist Believer, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two areas to consider. One is the Pastor who has fallen into sin. Scripture does not forbid a return to the pulpit after repentance. How that happens has to be looked at case by case. Second, the man who was involved in public sin prior to conversion. Blameless indicates the current state of his walk not past.

Well hopefully he will clear that up.

Setting time frames is difficult and rather personal opinion. But repentance is repentance.Period

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

First, yes, Scripture does bear out the definition, even in the Greek. Since you brought it up I will quote from the NIGTC by George Knight: "The general characteristic of the bishop is that he must be ἀνεπίλημπτος** (1 Tim. 3:2; 5:17; 6:14; in 3:10 and Tit. 1:6 the synonym ἀνέγκλητος is used), “irreproachable,” in the sense of not open to attack or criticism (see LSJM) in terms of his Christian life in general and in terms of the characteristics that follow in particular. By God’s grace the pattern of the bishop’s life conforms to both the general and specific characteristics and he is not objectively chargeable."

The NAC be Lea says similarly: To be “above reproach” demanded that the overseer be a man of blameless character. The same word (anepilēmpton) is used of widows in 5:7 and of Timothy in 6:14. It may serve as a general, covering term for the following list of virtues that should distinguish a church leader. The etymology of the word suggests the meaning not to be taken hold of. It describes a person of such character that no one can properly bring against him a charge of unfitness.

Second, we can all live up to it. It is not an impossible standard. That's the call of sanctification.

Third, it doesn't qualify sin. We all recognize that not all sin is alike. Stealing a 25 cent pack of gum and stealing a $50,000 car are both breaking laws of stealing, but we treat them very differently. If a man has constant habitual sin in his life, he is likely not qualified, particularly if that sin is public. If a man has a public sin of great magnitude (not that he ran a red light one time), but of a great nature that affects his ability to gain the respect and ear of the community, he is not blameless and is disqualified (see. v. 6).

Paul, on numerous occasions appeals to his own character.

Repentance is repentance, period. But repentance does not always bring restoration. There are consequences of sin in this life. A man who commits adultery may take years to regain the trust of his wife, if he ever regains it. He is not blameless to her, even though she may (and indeed must) forgive him.

Let me ask you: If a man has been convicted of child molestation, and he repents and is saved, is he qualified to pastor? Does he have a good testimony with those outside the church? Obviously he doesn't, and he isn't.

Would you leave your toddler in the nursery with a man who molested children last night but then he repented of it? Of course not. And that shows that you get the point.

The standard to be a pastor is not simply forgiven. It is to be a model of a Christian so that he can say with Paul, "Follow me just as I follow Christ."

It may be that after years of faithful Christian living, a man might regain the status of blameless. But we can't dumb down the word. It means what it means.

When someone says "blameless is about his current" state, that obviously doesn't make sense. It obviously reaches back at least a second, a day or two, and then where do you stop? When does someone regain a blown testimony?

When a pastor stands to preach, he preaches out of his life. If he has no life to imitate, then he has no grounds to preach from. See 1 Thess 4:4-5 on this as well where Paul says, "You know what kind of men we were among you." He is appealing to his past testimony with the people.

#82 Pastor Larry, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Back to the Broadway situation ... I have insider knowledge that suggests that Dr. Patterson has been gracious, helpful, and forthcoming to those faculty and staff who are members of Broadway. I hope that is not a duplicitous stance. It seems to me that now that this action has been taken by the Convention, even though the customary practice is for faculty to be members of SBC churches, Dr. Patterson may have, or choose to exercise, the discretion to exempt these persons on the basis that they joined an SBC church in good faith and did not remove themselves from that church. Pastoral considerations would, I hope, think of churches as communities of faith and not merely outlets of the SBC; they are not like McDonald's or Starbucks, where you just go to the most convenient one ... churches are families. And once one has grafted himself on to the family called Broadway Baptist Church, how could compassion expect him to go join somewhere else? In fact, I would suppose that the pastor of the "somewhere else" might not even want a reluctant new member.

What do readers think Dr. Patterson and/or the trustees will do with this situation? I'd like to think they will do nothing!

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

There are always critics of the SBC who are quick to point out that it tolerates churches in its fellowship that are calvinistic, or charismatic, or have women pastors, or have homosexual members, etc. Yet when the SBC makes a decision to no longer accept funding from such churches, it is criticized for its action.

The SBC is "damned if it does and damned if it doesn't."

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The local newspaper covering the Broadway story apparently confirmed that there were one or two active homosexual men serving on a committee. My primary source at Broadway did not seem to have knowledge of that situation.

No one has said what that committee is, but I have real issues with members who participate in inappropriate sexual relations providing any sort of leadership to the congregation or its ministries.

My spirited defense of Broadway was partially based on incomplete information. As far as I could tell, the relevant information regarding the committee membership did not appear until the Convention.

I still have concerns about the way the SBC has hidden behind the autonomy of the local church when it comes the sexual predators, yet is very happy to take act to "preserve the reputation of the convention" when it comes to homosexuals.

It needs to be consistent, one way or the other. Now that the SBC has set a precedent of acting to "preserve the reputation of the convention", I hope they take definitive action to reduce the ungodly scourge of sexual abuse by Baptist ministers.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good to hear.

By all accounts, Dr. Patterson can be very kind. Both Drs. Patterson have helped take care of a professor who is a member of our church when he was going through cancer treatment last year. Dorothy Patterson went over to his home every day with food to make sure he was provided for.

As much as I dislike many of the things Paige Patterson has done and is doing, he does have a number of virtues.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And at the end even all those standing in opposite fields are son, daughters, husbands, wives, moms, dads, grandmothers, grandfathers, etc.

While I too have issues with a great many people, I absolutely praise God for our shared humanity. :)

8. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have insider knowledge that Dr. Patterson was asked about this issue directly. His first response was that he would not pursue these faculty members and force them to decide between their church and their job at the seminary. The next day he said that he could not guarantee that they would not be forced to decide. He may have been referring to his trustees who could vote to force the issue regardless of what he might want to do. So, we'll have to wait and see how the situation works itself out.

Tim Reynolds

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between has and had. Repentance, like salvation, needs to have some evidence of it.

This is a problem with people not God.

I would not get wrapped up in the timing.

This is a huge problem in the church today. We have far to many people who are treated like second class kingdom citizens because the church will not let go of their past. It is a sad thing to be sure. And when I talk to people about this issue who are neither saved nor attend church they most always ask "what about forgiveness".

You have not show that it supports your own interpretation.

The word blameless speak to whether or not the man can be found guilty of current sin. Can he be arrested, accused of a current crime.

It makes clear sense tho those who sit and give it any thought. Is there a sin that is current, unrepentant, and unaddressed.

This fails to address my point. A man with no godly character has no business in the pulpit. It serves no purpose to use the extreme example.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The SBC chose to accept CP money from a church that brought in the Mormon bishop to teach each year for about 25 years.

11. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Ro 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Ro 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Ro 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Ro 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Ro 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

12. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

My insider source reports that indeed there has been an understanding all around that the seminary (president? trustees?) would expect the charter provisions to be kept strictly in this case. Apparently several of those involved are already in the process of moving to a particular church, a relatively new one, which espouses inerrancy and is in general sympathy with the SBC outlook, but which does not hold with the punitive style. I prefer not to reveal the name of that church at this point.

I continue to feel grief at the ongoing rigidities in the SBC, but am glad that I can operate in another frame of reference now. All I really need from SBC is for Guidestone to stay solvent!

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heartily agree with this text, and I have chosen to highlight a few sins in red that are often indulged here on BaptistBoard.com.

Wouldn't it be a good thing if we would as zealously disapprove of the things highlighted in red as we do homosexual relations? Or are we content to be idolators by only embracing the parts of the word of God that don't apply to us?

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is so difficult to understand about the homosexual agenda. No one is trying to make maliciousness a political and national norm. No one is campaigning to make gluttony or many of the others as a human rights issue. But they are doing that with homosexuality, they are now beginning to do that with childrens rights. And if anything else listed ever became a political national agenda then such a focus would be placed on them as well. But then of course you already knew that.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your words, "the homosexual agenda", show that you think all homosexuals buy into the same agenda. Just like Jesse Jackson doesn't speak for many black people (although he wants you to think he does), homosexual activists don't speak for most homosexuals.

Really?

Have you turned on the TV lately? Both the Democrats and Republicans embody it every day. Turn on Rush Limbaugh or read the political section of this forum and tell me what you find.

Sure we do. The "pursuit of happiness" is written in the U.S. Constitution and many U.S. Christians somehow believe it is written in our Bibles too.

Homosexuals have God-given rights.

Children have God-given rights.

But fundamentally, we aren't talking about a national (secular) political agenda. This thread is about homosexuals in SBC churches. My point was that the SBC leadership is understandably vexed about homosexuals being members of committees at Broadway Baptist Church, but does not seem to be concerned that we have large numbers of pastors who are malicious, backbiters, despiteful, implacable, unmerciful, etc... Paul lumps those sins and others together with homosexual relations are evidence that people are in rebellion against God. Moreover, Paul depicts these things are "works of the flesh" in Galatians.

Of course, so many of us are guilty of those sins, we don't want to get rid of people who habitually commit them. In fact, historically, they seem to be the marks of people who have gone far in SBC leadership circles.

16. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

...I think somebody just got zapped by the third rail! ;)

17. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I will add that not all sins are equal. Sexual sins are particularly heinous in God's eyes. :)

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ever wonder why?

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually that is your assumption however I did not say that. And this seems to ignore the actual agenda that works to seep its way into our schools, government, and churches.

One has nothing to do with the other and certainly misses the object of my point. Try again.

Not to be homosexual

They are to be reared by the parents not the UN

It is all the same.

It is your unfounded assertion that no one is concerned but the homosexual agenda is clearly on a much larger move and will have a greater impact than the others. Having a nigger concern for a bigger problem is not equal to no concern for anything else.

Hyperbole with no foundation.

Sour grapes

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure you did, you said, "the homosexual agenda". The article "the" is a part of speech that indicates singular specificity. You may have written the sentence poorly (that is, you may have intended it to mean, "a homosexual agenda"), but that does not mean I made an assumption. I am taking your words seriously.

I'm not ignoring anything. You seem to think I'm trying to get everyone to overlook the sin of homosexual behavior. I'm actually trying to do the opposite - I'm trying to get everyone to pay attention to the other sins Paul listed and treat them at least as seriously as homosexuality.

I'm making the point that we tend to interpret the Bible in a way that allows extraordinary grace for our besetting sins and interpret the Bible harshly regarding sins that do not beset us.

Frankly, Christians who are characterized by malice, backbiting, spite, anger, etc. is, in my opinion, a bigger problem than homosexuality. There are lots of religions and viewpoints that oppose homosexual relations, but Jesus specifically calls the world to judge the validity of our faith by the way we love each other, not by what we are against, but that we are characterized by loving relationships (John 13:35).

Hardly. You look in your mirror and I'll look in mine. There's plenty of it to go around. If you don't see it, you're in bad shape.

The grapes aren't especially sour, but what if they were? It doesn't make any difference what I think about it. What is true is what is important.

Galatian 5:19-21 says:
    Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Note what is in red. Folks who attend the SBC tend to get worked up regarding immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, and sorcery, as well as drunkeness, carousing, and "things like these" instead of "enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, [and] envying". Why do you think that is true? All of them are condemned together. In fact, in the political environment of the SBC, persons who were constantly involved in strife, outbursts of anger, disputes, and factions were seen as valuable leaders.

And frankly, there are people here on Baptist Board who seem to go out of their way to disagree with others, just for the sake of disagreeing with those with whom they believe they have philosophical or theological disagreements.