1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Founders Youth Conference

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by tnelson, Jul 30, 2003.

1. tnelson

tnelson New Member

My son is at Flordia at the youth conference this week. He called me today and said that it was great. Also he got to meet Tom Ascol.

Did anyone else get to go to one of the founders youth conferences this year? If so, did you enjoy it?

mike

2. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

nope didn't go

the only conference I've gone to is SLU -- Student Leadership "University"... it was a week long conference in Florida... we spent the night at Sea World and the whole thing was on the "sharks" of the world(we slept in the shark room, one of our chaperones was deathly afraid of sharks heh heh heh)

3. Jacob

Jacob Member

What do they do at these conferences? Christian rock bands signing about the 5 points of Calvinism?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jacob! SBC Churches are not Calvinist! At least not any SBC church I've ever been a member of! Free Will all around!

Diane

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A growing number of them are. Check out www.founders.org. On the left you can click on "Churches and Friends" to see a list of churches by state that have openly joined the SBC Founders movement.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can go to www.founders.org/fpress/orrick.html and purchase a copy of "The Baptist Catechism Set to Music". The accompaniment is acoustic guitar, not rock.

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jacob! SBC Churches are not Calvinist! At least not any SBC church I've ever been a member of! Free Will all around!

Diane
    </font>[/QUOTE]Diane,

You need to buy the following book from Lifeway in Nashville.

Amazing Grace, God's Initiative - Our Response

Click here ----&gt;Lifeway

I think you will understand better what Calvinism really is from a Southern Baptist perspective if you read Dr. George's book.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

But guys, I'm NOT a Calvinist and don't plan on being a Calvinist. Thanks anyway.

A previous pastor was wavering and taught C/A on Sunday nights. About halfway through the course, he resigned after a run in with the deacons about something.

9. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Diane,

I know you're not a Calvinist. What I was addressing was your erroneous statement in your first post which stated - SBC Churches are not Calvinist!

Many of them are.

I consider myself to be a Calvinist and I pastor a SBC Church that has in its Constitution Articles of Faith that are definitely Calvinistic.

Having admitted that I will clarify once again what I believe is the core of SBC Calvinism as I did in a thread on the C/A Forum last month.

SBC Calvinists Believe

1. All men Can Freely Make Choices
    2. God does not force any person to do something that person doesn’t want to do.
    3. People are in Hell not because of God but because of their own unbelief.
    4. God is fair.
    5. Evangelism is Necessary.

I don't guess I should send my resume to your church? :D

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOL Well Hardsheller... To me, a Calvinist, a true Calvinist is a 5 pointer. Even I am a partial Calvinist but we don't use those terms around here. I bet if you asked my S/S class, only one or two out of 51 could tell you anything about C/A but ask them about Free Will... LOL

Diane

11. Jacob

Jacob Member

You can go to www.founders.org/fpress/orrick.html and purchase a copy of "The Baptist Catechism Set to Music". The accompaniment is acoustic guitar, not rock. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh yes...Rock music wouldn't fit into the Reformed philosophy - "too man centered" or something.

Jacob.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My preference is bluegrass. Now the Baptist Catachism with a banjo or dobro accompaniment - that would be special. :D

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Here's a couple of available topics for youth:

¶ Families Evangelizing Family Members
    ¶ True Love Waits Works!
    ¶ Abstinence and Faith Impacting Teen Behavior

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Understand. We had quite a discussion on Free Will in the Pastor's Class this morning. I held my ground admirably if I do say so myself.

Even my wife and our ex-democratic legislator sided with me! :eek:

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

KNEE JERK REACTION! OUCH! :eek: As the wife of a former Republican State Rep... I can't control those knee jerks! LOL

Diane :D

16. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

all of teh youth conferences I've gone to we had a normal singing person(not Rock... maybe contemporary) and the speakers were encouraging and strengthening our Faith(except the last time we went to the local conference they had this guy who must have gotten dumped by a girl because he was totally sexist[not Biblically] and sent the youth pastors out of the room and then told guys what they should really do with girls... dump them first, that they're all out to "get you" I was very surprised we girls didn't get up and kick him out... he was a total jerk)

We've never had a rock concert...

the one in Florida was just a conference where we studied things, no singing at all [​IMG]

Oh and I'm Southern Baptist too... and last I checked my church isn't Calvinist... and my pastor's on the Executive board of the Southern Baptist Convention. Was taught under Dr. Page Patterson(who I don't care WHAT this board says is one of the strongest men of God I've had the pleasure to get to know) and Dr. Cowen...

So I don't see how you can say all or most of us are Calvinists... yes there are some statements that parallel Calvinistic thinking... but that doesn't mean we ARE :rolleyes:

17. Jacob

Jacob Member

Certainly the Founders group are all Calvinists.

Jacob.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of anyone who is saying that. These are not the first 75 years of the SBC when it could be said that most SBC congregations were either Calvinistic or at least agreed with much of Calvinistic teaching.

19. tnelson

tnelson New Member

Speakers at the FYC in Flordia was Bill Ascol and Stan Reeves.

Next year will be Tom Ascol.

My son told me this was the best youth trip he had been on.

Also he brought me a book back: "Beyond Five Points" by Ernest C. Reisinger & D. Matthew Allen. Great book on the Doctrines of Grace.
    I think it is a good study tool also.

mike ;)