1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC highest divorced member rate?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Link, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Link

Link New Member

I heard an evangelical preacher today say that in the US, the SBC jad the highest rate of divorced members of any denomination in the US, and the RCC and a Lutheran church had the lowest.

I think he said the percentage of divorced people in the SBC was 29%, which doesn't match the figures I've heard that evangelicals divorce at about the same rate as the general populace.

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

How about citing the source and/or location of this study/poll/opinion in order to formulate a response?

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I'm not sure about the SBC specifically, although it wouldn't surprise me that they are the highest. I have heard about Christendom as a whole be equal to if not greater than non-believers. And that seems to be substantiated.

If I'm not mistaken I think Barna had a report about the divorce rate in Christendom as a whole.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I too have heard that the divorce rate among christians is about the same as the general population. However, this comparison is misleading. Many non-christians live together and don't bother to get married, i.e. when they break up there is no divorce. I think the rate of non-christian living together relationships breaking up is much higher than for christians.

5. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Combine that with the estimate that of the 25 million who profess to be Baptist, maybe 6 million have had an actual born-again experience. The others are regular in attendance, give tithes and offerings, attend all the services, get nervous when they aren't found in church, but couldn't tell you how one is saved. Many in the latter group still spell it Babtist.

Others have never shared the Gospel with a stranger, never led anyone to Christ. Baptists are outspoken about works having no merit, but many of the fold work works, "just in case." Our Pastor preached one of the finest sermons I have ever heard on the topic today, although divorce wasn't mentioned.

Sad to say, persons of all persuasions put their personal interests ahead of God's very own plan. Think about that! I put MY interests above what GOD has planned for me! In an atmosphere like that, divorce is not only possible, it is probable. :praying: