1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Landmark Baptists? When is one practicing false religion?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bluefalcon, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Are there still any Landmark Baptists in the SBC? I know the Landmarkists have been much misunderstood for their exclusivism. I actually read Graves' book What Is Landmarkism? (or something like that) several years ago, and his main argument is that if people's religious doctrine is false or inaccurate, then their religion is false or inaccurate, even within Christian denominations. So his definition of heresy is very narrow, whereas for others it is much more broad, i.e., denying Jesus or something like that. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Yours,

Bluefalcon

2. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Problem with that statement is that we're men and I doubt any of us can get everything 100% right.Take the rapture for instance. Not all views can be right, and so only one view would be true religion under this belief. What if those who hold the right view in this hold the wrong view on some other doctrine? By the time we get everyones precise doctrinal stands disected, no one has a true religion no matter what they believe.

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I forgot the other option. Only one person, or one very small group of people ( sence we all disagree to some extent) could be right.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The typical definition of heresy is "any belief you have that I don't agree with". It's not accurate, of course. The "heresy" claim needs to not be used lightly. Alas, too many people are unable to discern between differeing interpretations and heresy. Big difference. Perhaps we should stop praying for people to abandon their heresies, and start praying for us to be blessed with the spiritual gift of discernment.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Of course, none of the views is "right" since none of them has happenned. [​IMG]

Anyone who asserts that their view about something that hasn't happenned yet is the only correct view, well, they need a reality check.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Around my neck of the woods, landmark doctrine still exists in SBC churches, but then again, the line is blurred between differing types of baptist churches, too.

7. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

So what is a good definition of heresy? Can one deny the virgin birth and still not be a heretic? Orthodoxy is the antonym of heresy, unless I'm mistaken. Denying the virgin birth certainly is unorthodox, but so was premillennialism until not too long ago. Denying the virgin birth runs contrary with Scripture, whereas premillennialism can be defended scripturally. Another question: is it heretical to deny the inerrancy of the Bible? I guess the main question I'm asking is: How off does one have to be doctrinally to be considered a heretic? Examples of what made one a heretic in the NT might be a good start.

Yours,

Bluefalcon