1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC local associations - DOM

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was talking to my DOM yesterday and we were talking about titles. He doesn't like to use DOM because in essence he is not a missionary. Also the word Director indicates authority - as as autonomous Baptist churches - there is no authority over a SBC local church.

So what would be a good title to replace DOM with?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Office Manager or Regional Representative. That's what they are anyways.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Which of the offices in Eph 4 do you think best fits that ministry position?

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I had a thunk. Do all DOM's do the same thing?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Office manager? :confused:

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Our state actually restructured and we don't have DOM's anymore...we have "Regional Strategists" (and fewer of them covering larger regions.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what we did and they are called "Church Planting Catalysts". Some associations are keeping their DOM's but they are funding them themselves with no funds coming from NAMB. The other associations are having to restructure to meet the needs the DOM provided.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know track is to call them "Executive Directors."

FWIW, a really good DOM can contribute to a growing and vibrant group of churches in their area. I've seen great DOMs who help foster new church starts, revitalize old declining churches, and bolster existing churches. On the flipside, a mediocre or bad DOM doesn't hurt churches...they just don't matter.

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

That's been the format adopted here as well. Although I don't recall what they call them. The positions are filled by a pastor in the region. He keeps contact with the other pastors in his assigned region for prayer, accountability, and other needs. These men are tasked with, to put it simply, shepherding the shepherds.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Certainly a more scriptural method than the current role of the DOM's that I have known.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, what part of scripture do you find the role of DOM?

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I don't find it anywhere in scripture. That was my point. There is scriptural precedence for an older pastor mentoring and encouraging younger pastors but none for a position such as DOM.

I'm not trying to start anything here. Salty asked a legitimate question and I'm just trying to answer honestly.

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thy used to be called "Associational Missionaries". I've been involved in SBC life for over 20 years and still haven't met one who was worth the salary. So I'm probably not the one to suggest a title because the ones i'd suggest wouldn't be complimentary.

I don't see lots of other titles we use such as "Youth Pastor" or Associate Pastor or even Senior Pastor in scripture, so just because the title isn't mentioned doesn't mean it is anti-Scripture. I think as it could work, it could be an older pastor who can help local pastors and churches. Just have never seen that before.

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

For those that say office manager or administrator, there may be some truth there - but only "some."

In the association where I am - and I think this is the aim in a lot of places - this office exists to bring churches together in an effort to spread the gospel, but also the DOM is like an "elder brother" to the associational pastor.

I am most grateful for those less tangible functions of the DOM that are so valuable to me personally as a pastor. And although there are administrative functions, I would never be so insulting as to call that office "office manager."

15. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

When Paul wrote to, encouraged, and instructed Timothy as well as many others - perhaps? When he encouraged churches to be generous to other churches and missions?