1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC opposes CBF entering the BWA

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by go2church, Aug 7, 2002.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that the SBC leadership wants those that disagree with the current direction of the SBC to leave. I don't really have a problem with that, in fact I think it is a good idea. Let both sides serve how they feel God is leading them to, without all the fighting. What I don't understand is why is the SBC is opposed to the CBF becoming a member of the Baptist World Alliance? If you wanted them to leave, and now they want to leave, why the oppositon to BWA membership? Anyone have something to this story that I am missing?
    It also should be noted that Morris H. Chapman, SBC Executive Committee president has stated that this move by the BWA to grant memebership status to the CBF may have damaged beyond repair the relationship between the SBC and the BWA. What's that all about?

2. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Good Questions.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Control and spite.

4. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

BB
    Emphasis on spite I would think!

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Pick any issue of any kind in this world. If you have two groups that oppose each other and don't desire to cooperate, they probably don't want to cooperate on a third party basis either.

As for me, I will be glad to see the SBC finally sever its ties with the BWA.

go2church said:
    What is all that about?

PreachtheWord replys:
    They are more interested in purity of doctrine, faithfulness to Christ, and integrity in life than in the "feelings" of a bunch of lost so-called baptists.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Lost"? You are calling CBF people non-Christians?

Wow. You have no credibility or discernment. You need to get some help for your very sad attitude. (I'm being serious here.) Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in darkness.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I know that the SBC was one of the founding members of the BWA, but today I would say the CBF is more in line with the BWA than the SBC. In my part of the country the SBC pastors that I know are not supporters of the BWA.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

BB, you don't get it do you? They are not my "brothers" in Christ. They radically redefine who Christ is. Their biography of Christ is totally different than mine.

Scripture warns of those who promote false Christs. Who do you think does that? The SBC follows the Bible. The CBF follows whatever they want. Does that sound like the same Christ to you?

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s quite a blanket statement… There are some unbelievers in CBF just like there are unbelievers in the SBC and in Texas Baptist life. But most people in all of these groups are true believers, even though they may not agree with each other.

Actually, you’ve been complaining that the CBF doesn’t have some sort of creed or confession requiring a minimum standard of belief. I can understand that argument because I have some sympathy for it. But now you are claiming that the group is “redefining” Christ?

I think the gospels are the best biography of Christ for a Christian. I’m not sure what you are talking about though.

Mormons, “Jehovah’s” Witnesses, Unity, “Christian” Science, etc.

They follow an interpretation of the Bible.

CBF follows the lead of the churches who follow various interpretations of the Bible.

You’ve made a bunch of blanket judgments about the CBF (and SBC) that require a complete uniformity of thought to be valid. There are many differences of opinion in CBF and (to a lesser extent) the SBC.

Salvation is not given according to what religious group or denomination you associate with. Some are clearly better than others. You don’t care for the CBF’s style and the doctrine or some of its members. I can accept that. (I have reservations about CBF’s style and strongly disagree with the theology of some of its members.) But that does not give me the right to claim that everyone associated with CBF is not a true believer.

Your blanket condemnations are decidedly anti-Christian. A lot of CBF people will be with us in heaven. A lot of SBC people will be in heaven. A lot of Texas Baptists will be in heaven. We should start trying to get comfortable with each other here.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

One of the major problems that many SBC leaders had with the BWA action on the CBF (Can I buy a vowel? Is this an eye chart? :D ) was that Morris Chapman was apparently misled, lied to, whatever about how the BWA would approve or disapprove of the CBF attempt for entry. Apparently, the BWA broke its own rules at the request of the CBF. Obviously, there are political games being played. Personally, I have better things to do than to worry about it. Right now, one of them is nursing my oral surgery recovery :(

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting Tom, thanks for the information. I had only a short story in my state newspaper and I don't recall reading anything about WHY they (SBC) was opposed to the memebership of the CBF. If I had been treated poorly, as you say Chapman (SBC) was I would be less then pleased I can assure you. You don't happen to know why the BWA "created" a special membership situation for the CBF do you?

Hey been down that oral surgury road, take care and don't be afraid of the painkillers! [​IMG]

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surgery
    S-u-r-g-u-r-y???
    No, I am sorry that is not how you spell surgery, you are now disqualified from the spelling-bee.
    But thanks for playing, but we do have a year's supply of Pledge Furniture Polish as a parting gift.