1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Pastor/Staff Search Committee Profiling

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by PastorLynn, Dec 23, 2004.

1. PastorLynn

PastorLynn New Member

Lately we have been reading in the news of the pros & cons of racial or ethnic profiling by law enforcement and especially the Department of Homeland Security, & the TSA.

But I would like your opinion on pastor search committees surveying their church and drawing up a profile of what the church wants in a pastor instead of just prayerfully seeking God's guidance to their next pastor or ministerial staff member.

I would have posted this as a poll but it would not allow the length of the questions. So here goes. Please keep your answers brief and to the point.

1. Does your church survey the members to discern what they want in a pastor or called staff member?

2. Are you now serving, or have you in the recent past, served on a Pastor or Staff Search Committee?

3. Are you a DOM?

4. If so, do you recommend profiling to search committees in your Association?

5. Do you approve of or disapprove of profiling? Why?

6. Can you cite a Biblical reference or authority for profiling?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Lynn

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. N/A
    5. No
    6. No ...

There is a lot of profiling happening. For whatever reason, profiling is USUALLY not in the best interests of God's Church (except for the Biblical mandates) Most profiling is done to reduce the number of applicants to screen: I.e., have you pastored, do you have a degree, are you married, etc ...

I do not like it, but, I do understand it.

3. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

1. No, but the committee was chosen to be representative of the Church.
    2. I am now on my second Pastoral Search Committee.
    3. DOM? From your next question I assume the means Area Minister. No.
    4. N/A
    5. Personally I don't approve of profiling. Actually,it depends on what you means by profiling. Are you only referring to racial profiling? What about sex (i.e. calling a female Pastor)? What about a Pastor who was divorsed for Biblically correct reasons (e.g. his wife's adultry) and remarried? We did not pursue an otherwise excellent candidate due to the divorse issue. (That was by no means a unanimous decision.)
    6. Again, it depends on what you are profiling for.

4. PastorLynn

PastorLynn New Member

Straight and Narrow by profiling I mean, age, pastoral experience, number of degrees, married, children, great pulpiteer, what college and/or seminary he attended, great teacher so on & so forth.

DOM = Director of Associational Missions.

Merry Christmas yall

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes to all. How is the world could you NOT "profile" what type of pastor your local body is searching for?

I work with many churches in this area. I have been a "gatekeeper". After asking one hundred pertinent questions AND evaluating doctrinal statements, we cull out a list of 50 possible candidates to 5 - a workable number for the pulpit committee of the church to consider.

Questions that immediately profile are:

Education
    Experience
    Family
    Race/Ethnicity
    Marriage/Divorce
    Eschatology
    Church government
    SBC/CBF controversy
    Women in leadership
    Finances
    Criminal record
    Elders/Deacons

I do not believe ANY of these (and many more) are BAD questions. I have found them most helpful.

The LAST thing I want to do is recommend a pastor who is a-mil to a congregation that is pre-trib. Or one that believes in strong pastoral leadership into a church that is deacon-run. And even ethnicity/race is important in some of our rural congregations as contrasted to multi-ethnic urban groups.

6. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

why did u signify this pastor being affiliated with the sbc?

7. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

Dr. Bob,

Just curious. Do you care if the prospective Pastor is born again. I noticed that "requirement" was not on your list. it should be at the top, #1, not even a close second!

I know, I know..but you know what happens when we assume. :mad:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

You have to be very careful with profiling for employment purposes, it could be seen as discrimination. We are currenly looking to fill a possistion that would be youth minister, leading education department and something else(don't remember) we aren't a hugh church so these jobs are not overwhelming. There are somethings you can not ask(age, race, etc), or use to decide employment.

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Pastor Lynn, We should certainly pray and seek God's guidance, but He has entrusted us to use discernment and wisdom in our service to Him.
    I am a search committee member,

{good news, Dr. Bob}

entrusted to find a pastor who can work with our church

What you are doing is profiling the church, not the pastor.
    You need to find out if the man will fit in with the areas in which your church is led to work.

If he doesn't, he will not be around long.
    He will be constantly frustrated and there will be friction in the church.

If you hire a man led in direction A to pastor a church going in direction B, you may find yourself headed in direction X in mass confusion.

MR

10. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

You will not find consensus among the membership on what they want anyway.

What you need to do is determine what kind of church you have, then you can search for your pastor.

What is the main focus of the church?

Teaching?
    Evangelism?
    Community outreach?
    Worship?

All churches fulfill the great commission with various emphasis on certain areas. All Christians are not the same and neither are all churches.

I guess we could toss all the resumes in a hat and pull one out.
    If you want a scriptural method, this fits the bill more than profiling, but I wouldn't toss any names in the hat that didn't fit the church.

MR

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It WAS a basic assumption, but boy are you right! Need a detailed testimony of regeneration experience.

Mea big gulpa

12. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

14. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

My thought would be, along the lines of staying on topic, this fellow would not fall within the guidelines of the profile in Paul's letter to Timothy.

Yes, PastorLynn, there is a Biblical example of profiling. That is exactly what God told us to do in 1st Tim. 3. He also told us to examine our deacon candidates to see if they fall within the profile God gave us of deacons.

We have a profile and we are expected to make sure our leaders fit it.

Nowhere are we told to simply pray for God to send us the right man.

MR

15. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I understand that some profiling (salvation experience, ministry call experience, doctrinal issues, etc.)is necessary to the search process. These matters enable us to weed-out those who are suspect in any of these areas. Even beyond these matters, it is wise to examine other issues, too, such as credit history, relationships with family, perception of the candidate in his previous and/or present place of service.

However, I question the practice of profiling based on issues such as age, education, number of children, and maybe some other matters that don't come to mind right now.

For those of you in Alabama who receive the Alabama Baptist newpaper, don't miss this week's issue. It has a very good editorial in it regarding the age issue.

The bottom line is that we don't want to do anything that would impede the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It just might be the will of God for a church to call a man who is over 50 years old, has no formal seminary training, and who has no children...or maybe has 12 children! God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. Amen?

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a link to that publication?

17. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Try thealabamabaptist.org

It appears that the site has not been updated to include this week's edition, but keep a check on it. It should be updated in a day or two.

18. BuckinghamPastor

BuckinghamPastor New Member

I believe that God will use "congregtion surveys" to help develop a pastor's profile, if the church is prayerfully seeking God and His will.
    One negative example of profiling is churches that will only consider candidates with Dr. before the name. I am sure there are many others.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many churches want a Paul or Jesus who will push them out the door to work and do ministry?