1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Pres. Seeks Input on New Name for Denomination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Denomination??? What school did you almost go to?

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why is everybody afraid of the word 'Baptist" these days?

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But then every time they did something that OTHER Baptists churches didn't agree with, it wold reflect on those OTHER Baptists that were never Southern Baptist in name OR philosophy.

They must keep some sort of distinction, maybe like a sub-title.

We IFBs wouldn't want people to think we are part of that association!

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

How about

SOUTHERN BAPTIST

What in the world is so wrong with that name?????????

5. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I don't mind getting rid of the Baptist name, but it will not happen. What is wrong with the name? Outside of immersion as a believer, it has lost its meaning. Honestly, when looking for a church recently, if it had "Baptist" in the name I was more reluctant to go to it than one who plainly advertised their doctrinal beliefs. I looked based on doctrine, not names. Yet, they will not get rid of the name Baptist. If Baptist truly had some solid doctrinal meaning left, I may be reluctant, but the name is meaningless.

Secondly, Southern is a horrible name as it denotes a regional organization and is a barrier to others outside of the South.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

See------------thats my whole point!! SOUTHERN Baptists now touch the 4 corners of the Earth----------theres probably not a country where SB are not being a witness right now

If the world is gonna get offended at the word "Southern"----well---they can just build a bridge and get over it

Personally---I believe it doesn't matter what we change our name to--whatever name we choose isn't gonna make one itoa of a difference in where someone spends their eternity

Personally---I am offended at AT&T ----- but thats not gonna keep me from answering my phone everytime it rings!!!

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonathan Merritt, the "Creative Director" at his dad's [former SBC president] "Cross Pointe" church, on the Paul Edwards Program last week:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bingo!! I wonder how many pieces of fried chicken were consumed while discussing this issue. If we just have to change the name, I would retain the word Baptist for sure and maybe add the words New Testement in some fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.