1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SBC Pres Sounds Off on 'Duck Dynasty' Craze

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prattling mid-wife.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now let the Church say AMEN!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

There's many more things that could fill in those blanks and it wouldn't matter what they were because the best thing we can do on Sunday morning is hear the Word of God.

I went to a pastor association meeting yesterday. I arrived about 10 minutes early. I greeted almost all of the 25+ area pastors and other ministerial staff that were there. At no time was Reader's Digest, Duck Dynasty or National Geographic mentioned.

We heard the testimony of a Haitian pastor that is trying to re-open a school that was destroyed in the earthquake of 2010.

Then we heard from a GBC representative who spoke to us about the time Jesus' parents found Him in the temple being about His Father's business. Amen's rang out at the Ole Times Country Buffet. We talked about spiritual renewal for our churches. The speaker said, "Gentlemen, preach the Word of God." I don't think he said that because they aren't, but as an affirmation of what they are already doing.

I think the idea is ludicrous that there are SBC pastors out there preaching the things that were mentioned by Luter.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's happening Gib. And what do you mean going to Ole Country Buffet and not inviting me for them vittles?:laugh:

And if you don't mind me asking, who is the Haitian pastor? We've been doing some work down there but outside Port-au-Prince. Is his church in the city?

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen.:thumbsup:

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words, swing your sword somewhere there isn't a battle.

What an idiot.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    every time someone posts here the truth abpout Homosexuality though, you keep not accepting that from the word of god, but lable others as being hateful, not showing love pf jesus, wrong etc

Truth is that it is a sin that the church cannot condone and accept as a viable 'alternate lifestyle!"

And many times when christians rightly attack the president policies and wreong decisions and unbiblcal practices, we get labeled with ole "you must hate Black people", no, hate the unchristian stand and policies made by this professing to be Christian President!

And abortion is a sin, and yet why is it that in Black churches and others, they go along with those who actively support and promote it? Isn't that hyprocisy from the Pulpit?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaacs agenda is the same as Luters, they do not want a black President criticized so they work to shut it down. Then they throw in some insignificant item like Duck Dynasty so as to provide cover for their own political agenda.

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

Pastor Abraham. No last name. He's from Léogâne. Baptist 4 Haiti have been working with him. Our church was there this summer working with their orphanage.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

One, I think that's a load of horse hockey, not because of its truth or lack thereof, but because of its misplaced emphasis. Two, I think you have passed judgment on Luter based on politics and not theology, and that is not how we are to judge a pastor. I've heard Luter preach -- he came to my church in May -- and his is theologically sound and biblically based. 'Nuf said. Don't care what his politics is or whether he publicly supports the Great Pretender or not. He doesn't preach politics from the pulpit, he preaches Christ.

#30 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have tried to judge my post separate from the op. I never said he was anything other than theologically sound. My post in in reference to his spurious claim that men are preaching about duck dynasty and other things. I said nothing about his theology or how he preaches.

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

His comment is sound, regardless of how you took it. Do you not agree that the best thing a pastor can do on Sunday morning is preach the Word of God? If so, what would you have him preach?

He never mentioned Obama. He never mentioned politics. It seems you're the only one who took that away from it, and frankly, that puzzles me greatly.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you have not actually read the op.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nothing but pure silliness. You've never read anything wher I have said that homosexual sex acts were anything but sinful. You have heard me say that we need to stop making hem and other certain sinners modern day pariahs.

who asked the church to condone it?Truth is that unless it is taking place within the church, speaking of it from the pulpit outside of what Scripture says really doesn't do much other than manifest this us against them scenario that those outside the church already think exists. So why affirm that?

You get labeled as that because the face of "we don't like Blacks, Hispanics,gays, pro-abortion, drug addicts, Democrat, liberal,etc, etc" is the face that the evangelical church with the help of the media has painted for itself.

If the church mentioned the bad policy and then made a beeline to the Cross and showed why Jesus Christ and His love are the answer instead of going on and on and on about how we can't stand a President and his policies, perhaps folks wouldn't associate us with hate and all things negative?

And as is the case on this board, unless someone says focus on his policies, the comments are ABOUT him. Just look at mitchell's comments

Sure is. But that's not unique to "black churches" ( I hate the terms black church/white church).

Does your church go along with the gluttons?
    Does your church kick out those who don't tithe and thus steal from God?

The church is ripe with hypocrisy across the board.

But that's what happens when we focus on issues and not the love of Christ and that leading to our love for others.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Gonna have to do some digging because I think I know who you're talking about.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

Which one? Of the thread ...

... or yours?

Which you followed up with ...

You were the first one to mention politics, in post #13, though Zaac touched on it and probably started the thread derail you completed by connecting Luter with Obama. Neither was applicable. It wasn't necessary for either you to bring up those subjects. They aren't germane to the discussion, and detract from the very valid point Luter made. But thanks for playing.

#36 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Next SBC President

[​IMG]

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luter mentioned politics. But of course you would know that if you had actually read the entire article in the link of the op. It is right there in the first paragraph.

It was very necessary to bring it up. No one out there is very few if anyone out there is preaching either of those things. It was a silly statement. And I have news for you. If you do not like my posts there are several options for you.

1. ignore them

2. put me on your ignore list

3. Accept that there will be varying viewpoints.

Thanks for playing.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Man, there's something wrong with you. You keep talking about race when ain't nobody even talking about race.

The man is calling Pastors to preach the word of God yet you imply he has a racial agenda?

Yet we wonder why Blacks and anyone who isn't an evangelical conservative often think there is hate coming from our evangelical churches.

When you got folks in the evangelical church with the title reverend trying to rile folks up over race, it's not far fetched that folks group us as people who hate as opposed to people who preach Jesus and His love for us and others.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I took Luter's comments to mean that pastors should forego the jokes, stories, latest news headlines, ect and stick to preaching the word.

I came out of an SBC church where the pastor did those things in EVERY sermon. There was very little preaching from God's word. So I know it happens.