1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Seminaries (cont.)

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JGrayhound, Feb 16, 2003.

1. D.R.

D.R. New Member

oh BTW, as a side note -- I am planning on coming to Southern Seminary eventually to get a Th.M in Theology, because they do have the best theology program in the Southern Baptist Convention (basically because it's the only one that teaches strictly Reformed theology). I know I am going to hear it from you Arminians for that one. [​IMG]

WE HOLLA
    dr

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I have not had the pleasure..yet, to sit under his teaching. However, he and I are members of the same church and he will be teaching one of our upcoming adult discipleship classes.

3. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

So you go to Open Door, right?

Neal

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Yup! I'm the Director of the Men's Ministry there. [​IMG]

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Cool! I work with some guys at UPS that go there and my pastor used to go there before he started pastoring our church (Dwayne Beddingfield). I am the youth minister at Glen Royal Baptist. Small world! :D

Neal

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Cool! I work with some guys at UPS that go there and my pastor used to go there before he started pastoring our church (Dwayne Beddingfield). I am the youth minister at Glen Royal Baptist. Small world! :D

Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hey Neal,

Has Dwayne told you about our up coming Men's Retreat to Ft. Caswell? I believe that he is planning on coming with several of the Glen Royal men. Dr. Pete Schemm will be the main speaker. The theme is "Is Prove Yourself a Man" and the dates are March 14-15, 2003. Also we will take a half-day trip over to Wilmington to tour the U.S.S. North Carolina Battleship.

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

This faulty image proves once again that one of SBTS's strongest suits may also be one of her greatest weaknesses.

8. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I would love to be able to do full time seminary. Unfortunately we have only a sattelite office from Goldengate here in Phoenix. I am working full time and interning at a mission church. Fortunately there is Seminary Extension. It gives me the option to study when I have 15 min or 3 hours available. But I heard that NOBS is best (of course that is where my cousin went so I may be prejudiced)

9. D.R.

D.R. New Member

SBC by Grace,

Why is my perception of Southern faulty and why is it a weakness as well as a strength? I feel I am fairly right about it teaching strictly Reformed theology and I think that is the reason why it is considered in Evangelistic circles to be the best of the Big 6. After that comment I am interested in your thoughts on the matter.
    DR

10. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

The Theology faculty is not strictly Reformed nor do they teach strict Calvinism. That is a misconception about SBTS (one that I believe Mohler is trying to downplay).

I have spent 6+ years in the ThM & PhD programs (Systematics & NT), so I know most of the profs in these fields well. Many of them are Reformed in nature (even though they may not be 5-pointers), but there does seem to be somewhat of a balance (particularly in biblical studies).

I believe this "strictly Reformed" image of SBTS is something they must shed to minister to the average SBC church. The moment a seminary is perceived as strictly Calvinistic, they have lost the pulse of the pew people. The Calvinism bug is prevalant at Southern and its bite leaves certain fledgling students with an arrogance and isolationism that turns away those of a differing persuasion. Mohler seems to be taking strides to move away from this "my way or no way" mentality that plagues some in the Reformed camp. It is this spirit that could hurt SBTS inwardly.

SBC seminaries should be centers of learning for those on both ends of the Calvinism/Arminianism spectrum. They must allow for diversity on this issue. If a seminary becomes recognized as solely a Calvinistic institution, they will set a course that guarantees damage. Rumors have already surfaced of some of the big names in resurgence circles discouraging their students to attend SBTS b/c of this image.

Balance is the key. Mohler is smart enough to recognize this fact. One can only pray he is able to correct the faulty image before it becomes destructive.

11. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Dr.Mohler wants this seminary to be as Biblical as possible. He is a Calvinist, and has not softened his stance. There is no doubt that he wants people to feel accepted here, but as long as their view can be supported Biblically. Most of the profs are Calvinistic (or lean that way, at least) but by no means do they force feed it to the students- in fact it is rarely mentioned. But you can tell it is a foundational concept that many hold.

It is without a doubt the most "reformed" but it is not a reformed seminary nor is it strictly Calvinistic. Some will play-up that aspect, it is not accurate. While most Calvinists in the SBC would want to attend here, Southern does not exclude those who disagree.

I know some hard-core Arminians (or anti-Calvinists) will try and steer people away it really doesn't matter. SBTS has seen an amazing amount of growth the past 5 years or so, and it is the fastest growing of the 6 schools. So, this effort by some has had little impact on thos who choose to attend. The PhD program here is incredible (as you should know, SBC by Grace) and is highly competitive. It is not feeling any effects of poor-mouthing.

Calvinism w/in the convention is growing and likewise those wanting a strong, conservative (calvinistic-leaning) theological training have a place to go. It juts happens to be the best SBC seminary and the most-respected academically. (is that a coincidence?? hmm)

12. D.R.

D.R. New Member

I would like to know where you get your numbers regarding Southern being the fastest growing. To my knowledge, NOBTS carries this distinction and is now growing at the rate that southwestern is declining. Next year we will be the largest evangelical seminary in the world, a major jump from being the 6th largest about 10 years ago.
    DR

Also when I said that there theology was strictly Reformed, I did not mean that there was no Arminian influence, just that men like Shreiner, Ware, and Nettles and others were strictly Reformed and teaching theology there, as opposed to most Southern Baptist seminaries where one or more departments are Reformed or not Reformed. The influence of Reformed theology is evident throughout the school, not just in one department, like here in New Orleans.

13. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Yes, there is a strong reformed (little 'r') influence. But, it is not "strictly reformed".
    Those godly men you mentioned have had a great impact on this seminary and evangelical scholarship. They are the cream of the crop in the SBC, that is for sure.

Re: enrollment increases....I have no numbers to show you, but I was just echoing what I have heard. I will try and investigate it a little to see the numbers. You are right that SWBTS is dropping like a rock.

14. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you suppose the infighting among Baptists in Texas could be the main cause of that???

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Could be. But the increased success of SBTS, NOBTS, and MWBTS are probably better explanations.

16. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

TomVols, I think you are right.

I can't say for sure why. Often times these things are cyclical. The Texas situation probably does not help the seminary's situation.

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

You guys are blessed to be able to attend a SBC seminary of the caliber we have now!!!!

An old SBC guy who wishes he could have been born a lot earlier or a little later. [​IMG]

But don't worry....I was smart enough to straighten myself out after I was corrupted in the cemetery! :D

18. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I know and I am very thankful to be able to attend now!

Neal

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member