1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC spokesman disavows statements by former second VP

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by gb93433, Jun 8, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (ABP) -- A Southern Baptist Convention spokesman said June 4 that a former official who is praying for the death of President Obama is out of the denomination's mainstream.

Roger "Sing" Oldham, vice president for convention relations with the SBC Executive Committee, said he believes most Southern Baptists are committed to praying for the well-being of the president and other governmental leaders, as instructed in Scripture.

Oldham said the January issue of SBC Life, a newspaper sent free of charge to all Southern Baptist ministers, carried an open letter from Richard Land, president of the SBC Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, congratulating Barack Obama for being elected America's first black president.

http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4136&Itemid=53

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I thought there were already 2 other threads on this?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

reminds me of some BB rule or something, now just what is that.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw a thread on imprecatory prayer but not the response of an SBC spokesman on what a SBC pastor said.

This thread was started shortly after the news came out. People should know that the SBC does not usually support people who have poor theology.