1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC to ban speaking in tongues?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchBoy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

This one caught my eye... :rolleyes:
    SOURCE

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

What a terribly sad thing it is to have a "gift of the Holy Spirit" banned in a christian denomination.

But its not surprising. I was sitting in a bible study at an SBC Baptist church a few years ago and the pastor said that if anyone began using a private prayer language in tongues during the worship service he would have a couple of men kick them out of the service.

And he said that if someone in that room spoke in tongues he would jump through the window.

On the other hand there is a Baptist church that I fellowship with regularly whos pastor has said more than once from the pulpit "...if God puts His hand on you and you feel like shouting...then you shout! If you feel that you have to jump then you jump! And if he gives you a tongues prayer language then you pray!

Praise God there is hope in ALL denominations.

I have great respect for Baptists, and I agree with them regarding so much, but regarding this issue this really is a crying shame.

Mike

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mike, on this issue at least, you and I are on all fours [​IMG]

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What needs to be considered, is that if the rule is passed, and speaking in tounges in missions is banned, the churches that want to are free to leave. The actual Denomination has no control over the local church, its buildings and who they choose to be affiliated with.

If those churches then either form their own Baptist Denominaton, or affiliate with one of the Bapticostal denominations, then we will soon see which group was actually correct, when after the fact the growth of each group in new converts can be measured.

It would be interesting though to see which group Rick Warren would go with!

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

1Th 5:19-20
    Quench not the Spirit.
    20 Despise not prophesyings.

Hummmmm... Looks like leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention's international missionary branch need to read their bible.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this kind of ban would be dangerous.

I don't personally speak or pray in tongues, and I'm not so sure about the validity of the average expression of "tongues," but I'm not willing to ban it outright when the Bible specifically speaks of it.

7. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I see hope here! It is exciting, and I will show you why!

When a denomination feels it needs to ban somethong, that means the thing has begun to happen in their midst, and they want it to stop!!

I see it as a positive thong! The HOLY SPIRIT has begun to move in the churches. They don't understand it, but they see it enough to think that it is a threat to them.

We need to pray for them. All intercessers unite, and pray that the reason this outpouring is happening will be revealed to them and they will understand it is a move of God!!
    Peace,

Tam

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

There do seem to be a number of "Bapticostals" in the SBC. Pastor Ron Phillips has been preaching this way in his SBC affiliated ministry for quite some while.

http://www.ronphillips.org/

9. Pete

Pete New Member

"It's really all a question of stripes and spots." Ursula's Mum, George Of The Jungle.

I'm all for seperate denominations on this one. If people want an AOG/CLC/ETC I'ld even use my taxi expertise to direct them to one ;)

10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Ditto for me.

But on the other hand, I've heard Pentecostals rip other churches and denomonations because they aren't a "Holy Ghost" church or speak in tounges. And I've also been to petecostal/charismatic services where people just run around the pews and roll on the floor and writhe around for 2 hours with no order whatsoever. Speaking in tounges with no interpretaions whatsoever. I've seen people pysically standing on the pulpit. I've no doubt that some of it is valid, but also no doubt that some it is not.

Just some thoughts.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I say it's about time, as there is no such thing as a "private prayer lanaguage" (Jesus told us exactly how to pray), nor the need for tongues in the Church. If I'm on a hillside in Mexico, and there is someone who does not speak english with me, and God lets me begin speaking his language in witnessing to him, I'm all for that.

12. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

AMEN to that!

Personally, I think it's refreshing that a denomination has some discernment that this phenomemon is not of God. There is plenty of documentation that this is a false teaching. I fear that many have been led down a path of deception because it feels good. Christianity is far too much into the ethereal experience of God, rather then into the Word of God and into relationship with Him.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

They can not ban what goes on in the local church. Each church makes their own decisions.

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yes, like all sorts of other anti-biblical teachings.

15. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Not anti-biblical, just anti-baptist.

Peace,

Tam

16. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

Well how 'bout that! :D

Mike

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aren't they the same? ( :D JK)

18. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

This is the danger of those un-biblical institutions called "denominations." they can not only control a church's ministries, but also their buildings, pastors, and everything else. :D [​IMG]

19. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

An official ban would be counter-productive as has been stated previously...

It would force many to make the difficult decision to leave or ot leave churches they have been apart of for years...

The Bishop on Guam did the same thing and even went so far as to demand that no Catholic attend Charismatic Meetings...

So many left the Catholic church on Guam that at least two congregations were formed...

As a Pentecostal, I would never pray in tongues while visiting a baptist church because I will honor my brothers in that church.

The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet... And, I believe that all "Gifts" are under similar control of the Gifted Ones...

The failure to excersize both respect and self-controll is a valid complaint the non-Pentecostals make against us. IMHO.

It would be counter-productive in another way...

It would force Pentecostals to denounce the move causing more un-neccesary friction...

Further weakening Christs Prayer in John 17 for all believers to be one as He and The father are one...

Mike Sr.

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Tamborinelady,

Good post...and some great points in there.

Lets pray that this fruit will bloom abundantly.

Grace and peace,

Mike