1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC WON'T CONSIDER NAME CHANGE

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rsr, Jun 18, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not that they are not wanted. They have segregated themselves from the rest of society and have enjoyed their own litle group of worshipers. They are transplanted southerners and have not assimilated into society. They have not welcomed the locals to their local church.

2. delly

delly New Member

gb, is it really because they haven't welcomed the locals or, as some posts suggest here, the locals have not welcomed them because of the Southern in Southern Baptist. Southerners are often ridiculed for our Southern accent and ways. I know that is a fact because I have been North of the Mason-Dixon line and was made to feel like I was as dumb as a post. I did not feel welcome nor wanted and it made me very sad. To make things worse, I was alone with no one to talk to about it. I was certainly glad to hit that Tennessee line on the way home.

Here in the South, when new people move into the community, it is our custom to welcome them. Now, I know this probably doesn't happen in some other regions but it sure would be a nice gesture to make as Christians.

Since we now know that the word Southern is offensive to folks in other parts of the country, would do you expect these people to do, deny their heritage? Southerners don't do that. Just ask my brother who has lived in Napa, Cal. since 1963. He still has his Southern accent and is proud to be from Tennessee. His friends and neighbors don't seem to mind at all. With his cheerful nature he has assimilated very well. I, on the other hand, am very shy and I'm sure I would not assimilate quite as well as he has.

It's not easy being the new guy on the block. Some parts of this country are like living in a foreign land. I can vouch that New Jersey even has it's own foreign language that no Southerner can understand. lol

All I can ask is: what have you done to make these people a part of your Christian community?

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Westerner. My family was too busy fighting Indians to worry about what was going on back East. (Ok, they were living in Western Minnesota and Iowa, but that was the frontier back in the day. Ever hear about the Great Souix Uprising?) I look at an organization calling itself Southern XYZ as a interloper trying to "educate" us poor benighted Westerners.

4. delly

delly New Member

So Bro. Robertsson, churches should just stay in their own regions huh? Especially Southern ones. I take that as; Them Southerners better stay away from us cause we don't want them here.
    It must just be terrible for you when companies send their Southern employees to your region.

Whatever happened to the Great Commission? It say Go ye therefore and teach all nations; not Go ye therefore and teach everyone except you own countrymen because they feel like you are too dumb to teach them anything.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but don't be surprised or shocked if folks from outside the South are not all that comfortable with such an ethnocentric appellation. And in the case of some folks in the old North, it's like waving the bloody flag. Y'all aren't the only folks who lost kin in the late unpleasentness.

It has nothing to do with immigrants from back East. Though I wish they'd stay back there, housing would be cheaper. We do have a dislike for SBC (which bought Pacific Bell) and the new owners of the Bank of America. So, it's more like a dislike for carpetbaggers.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not only do we Southern Baptists have a name that doesn't do much for our missions efforts in the Northern and Western Climes of our Country - We also have an attitude that compounds the problem.

The idea that if a town doesn't have a Southern Baptist Church then there is no evangelical witness in that town is offensive to all who are followers of Jesus Christ.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I guess we're uneducated, too. I had to look this up!

Quit talking over my head! :D

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just tried to be exact in my words without causing unnecessary offense.

9. delly

delly New Member

I had no idea it was wrong to take pride in where one was born and raised. Oh well, at least we know where we stand with the rest of America. Yes, I may be ethnocentric, but that also seems to apply to everyone here; even you, Squire Robertsson. You seem to believe that you can be proud of your heritage but I have no right to be proud of mine and that is a very un-Christian attitude. I have defended my home and my culture.
    Now that I know where I stand as a Southerner, this will be my last post on this subject.

I have only this last thing to say.
    You will never take me alive. hahahahahaha

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have nothing against your region or culture. But we are not talking about which has the best weather Boloxi, Miss. or Santa Cruz, Calif. Nor are we talking grits or hashbrown potatoes for breakfast. Nor are we talking about was the late unpleasentness the War Between the States or the War of the Southern Rebellion. The question is not should pickalily be served on beans.

I do plead guilty to ethnocentrism. As far as I am concerned civilization ends when I can't find fresh San Francisco sourdough french bread at a Safeway supermarket. But, we are talking about an organization which has, in the Providence of God, grown beyond its regional home. We are further discussing why to some this regional name (rightly or wrongly) can be a hinderence. Though when all is said and done, we have more problems with a the Hylesites' ethnocenterism.

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen on Hyles.

And the Squire has said well what I so obviously failed to get across in repeated posts. How this became a discussion about the relative merits of the South versus other areas, I can't say.

Pass the okra, please.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Evangelism is not about the local welcoming you. It's about winning people to Christ and discipling them.

I spend my time discipling people and if they want to sit in their easy chair then I want no part of that lifestyle. Where I live there are people from al over the US. Even those who come here as SBC soon want no part of them. The SBC folks have done nothing to participate with the other evangelical churches. In fact they have refused to participate in anything. The general comments I here is that there is something wrong with the SBC churches.

If you start winning people to Christ it won't take long and people will start coming to your church. The SBC has come here with "all the answers" from Nashville but it doesn't work and the locals know it. The DOM from the SBC met with me and asked me to pastor a local church. I told him I was not interested because the folks at that church were too stuck in their ways and didn't want to change. They did not know why their church is not growing. Two years ago I met with the leadership of a church that was dying. I suggested ways they could grow but when it came right down to it they didn't want to pay the price and work. They were comfortable enough to do nothing and watch the church die.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again speaking as a West Coaster all of whose family lives within a days drive of the low tide mark of the Pacific Ocean, theoritically, when a SBC pastor comes to town such Baptists he may meet in said town will be of a variety of Baptist lineages. Some will be out of the American Baptist Convention, some out of the Conservative Baptist Assoc, some out of the Baptist General Conference, and some out of the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship. None of these organizations have any SBC DNA in their make up. And for the unsaved, there is the matter of The Late Unpleasentness and Bull Connor.

14. RandR

RandR New Member

Is it just too simplistic to suggest that churches who feel the "Southern" nomenclature would be a hinderance (but who wish to participate in SBC cooperative missions, etc.) not include the word "Southern" in their name?

I don't see Rick Warren or David Jeremiah worrying about such matters.

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's become a common strategy, but it doesn't affect the name of the convention.

16. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brethren, I regret if we West Coasters seem a little harsh in our opinions on this subject. We only sought to plainly set out that our view of the limitations of the adjective Southern in the cnvention's name. We did this in the face of someone who took us as modern day Shermans and Grants.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I could refer to Krispy Kreme donuts here ...

When we use the term Southern Baptist, you know what to expect. When someone says American Baptist, I know what not to expect, etc. I agree with RandR. If a church doesn't want to use it in their name, no problem!

18. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Diane,

Good post and good point.

In Great Falls, Montana, I was pastor of the First Southern Baptist Church. We decided the name Southern was an asset since we were located in a military town and a lot of Southern Baptist Air Force people would be able to tell at a glance that we were what they were used to and looking for.

In other towns in the West the name Southern was a turnoff.

It's up to the church to use it or not.

19. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

GB, it's distressing to see that your experience with SBC churches has been so bad. I want you to know however that there are many SBC churches that are working and witnessing - reaching out to the lost world. There are many SBC churches that are embracing change where needed. And although there are several churches of many varieties on the decline because of disobedience and apathy (and the SBC doesn't have the corner on this market), there are good numbers of SBC churches that are growing in Christ and in number. Many of these churches are on the west coast. Perhaps you haven't had much experience with these particular fellowships.

I hope there will come a day when you're looking from the outside and see something more vital than you're seeing now on the west coast. I pray for that, and for the churches that have contributed to your low opinion of the SBC (lack of) influence on the left coast.