1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sbc

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Nov 4, 2014.

1. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

No, and the title of the article is misleading. The WJC article is even more clear that the SBC did NOT cave on their Biblical stance on homosexuality.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the address at the conference. Mohler talks about his attending Anita Bryant rallies as a teen back in the 1970s and hearing Jerry Falwell; how it was too bad they didn't know what he knows now, about theology and 'human sexual affective profiles' and such:

http://youtu.be/Iq3EiToCylQ?t=29m22s

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Hyper-Paranoia is why you shouldn't be taken seriously. By the way, do you like Twinkies?

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

From the dialog that I am hearing, homosexuality is like alcoholism; There are practicing homosexuals and recovering homosexuals.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you want to read an interesting blog written by a man who lived in the homosexual world for years and then was saved. He still struggles with same sex attraction but has clearly set that on the altar and is not pursuing that attraction. He's got some really solid things to say about this subject.

http://www.moorematt.org/

It might be interesting for some of those in ministry to read.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Not a perfect analogy, but close enough to convey the idea.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/46000-transformation-of-a-homosexual-what-change-looks-like

"In a recent conference on homosexuality put on by the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission in Nashville, I was shocked and deeply saddened at the absence of those who could speak on the topic of "change" for the homosexual. Where were they? They were all sitting in the audience, ministry leaders who have been on the front lines of helping the homosexual for decades, uninvited to share about the power of Jesus Christ to heal the brokenness that causes homosexual confusion.

The message was loud and clear: "Dude, if you come to Christ, there's no hope that you can change, so get ready for a life of celibacy, 'cause it's your only option." Meanwhile, dozens of former homosexuals, many now married with children, sat in the audience unable to share the truth about the power of Christ to transform lives. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Baptist leaders were spending hours "dialoguing" with leaders of the so-called "gay Christian" movement. It broke my heart."

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT read!!!

Being gay is a large part of their identities because society has pushed them there in some regards. I remember telling some gay people in a conversation we had several years ago that it would be an incredible testimony for someone who had been in a gay lifestyle to say "Yes, being gay is a large part of who I was, BUT I love Jesus so much that I'm willing to lay down even who I thought I wanted to be to COMPLETELY follow Him".

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't think we should present celibacy to people as though it's a bad thing. A lot of gay and straight folks have had enough sex to last a life time. A little celibacy might be good for them until God says otherwise.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed something here...I don't understand the idea that the SBC is now open to accepting sin into the fellowship.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Hop in the wagon with us Jon cause several of us didn't get that. :laugh:

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Count me in the group that does not understand.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry to be getting at this so late...but

Was anyone here at this conference?

Or are we just slinging stones without cause...again?

Because I was there.

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good. I, for one, was not there.

I was simply addressing the myopic viewpoint that righteousness will be judged according to how Judith lives

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Found him for you! LOL :thumbs:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly have no problem with being civil toward homosexuals but what do we do with Romans 1:28? "...God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

What do we do with the God gave them over part? Can they come back? One can overcome alcohol by simple stopping the habit but a homosexual..., can they stop?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does the alcoholic continue to have desires to drink alcohol? Can the homosexual stop the habit of sleeping with the same gender? Yes to both.

19. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started ministering to the Homosexuals in the late 80s while in seminary, the greatest travesty of well meaning Christians is just how uncivil that they are to the people who are deceived by this sin. If not for the grace of God, it could be any of us. BTW, many of them can quote scripture much better than some pastors that I know.

Yes, homosexuals can be freed from this horrible sin. I Cor. 6:

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor [f]effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

#39 Marooncat79, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the alcoholic continue to have desires to drink alcohol? Can the homosexual stop the habit of sleeping with the same gender? Yes to both.

annsni, the difference being is the Bible doesn't speak of an alcoholic being "given up on". Yes, they can quit their lustful ways but are they still given up on?