1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBTS/Boyce Extension Program

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Johnathon E, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Johnathon E

Johnathon E New Member

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first post here so I apologize if I post incorrectly. I have been a lay minister for 17 years but have recently taken a position as interim pastor. I am looking to continue my education through the extension program at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and Boyce College. I was wondering if anyone here had been through this program before or had any thoughts about the quality of education at SBTS and Boyce in general.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and time! Thank you,
    Johnathon

2. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Jonathon,
    Let me start out by thanking you for your dedication to serving our Lord. It goes without saying that SBTS, as well as Boyce college, are excellent schools. What kind of extension courses are you referring to...taking the classes online or taking classes at one of the many extension centers. I am just curious. As for my answer: any training that you get from SBTS is probably worth pursuing. I look forward to your response. by the way, let me be the first to welcome you to the Baptistboard. I am new here myself, but it is a wonderful bb.
    God bless you,
    Your brother,
    Crucified

3. Johnathon E

Johnathon E New Member

Thank you for the welcome and your quick response, Crucified.

:type: I am looking into the online extension courses at Boyce. It allows you to take the biblical courses online and complete the basic requirements (math, history, etc) at another local school. I have a year and a half of college (education major) under my belt so am I hoping those credits are still good and will be accepted for my basics. If not I will have to retake those at the local community college. My plan is to first acquire my associate degree and then go from there as the Lord leads. I would love to work my way up through seminary though!

I'm glad to hear your endorsement of the school in general as well.

Thanks again,

Johnathon

4. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Johnathon,
    You should have no trouble getting credit for the core courses that you have previously taken...assuming that the college was accredited. The local Community College route is an excellent plan to fill in any gaps that may still exist. I see a great deal of wisdom in how you are approaching the matter, starting with the Associates and then reassessing the Lord's leading.
    Back to the issue of Boyce/SBTS, its reputation for excellence is well-established. It did have a rather rough period in the seventies, but those days have thankfully passed. A great number of people count it among the finest seminaries around...especially when you compare the price for Southern Baptist students to other great conservative evangelical seminaries. This can be stated for any of the major SBC seminaries, but I am not sure if they provide as useful an online undergraduate program. Liberty is another excellent online undergraduate program that you could check into. Still, I am certainly not trying to steer you away from Boyce...it is truly an excellent school. God bless you and I will be praying for you, your studies and your ministry.
    Your brother,
    Crucified

5. Johnathon E

Johnathon E New Member

Thank you, and I for you!

Johnathon