1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBTS Degree Online w/ only 16 Days on Campus?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RG2, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I wish more schools would just eliminate any campus requirement. These classes are expensive enough without trying to figure out how to pay for travel and other expenses of on-campus requirements too. Even if you can get lucky and get offered a crash course/seminar option your still looking at an unnecessary hardship on families that are already sacrificing so much for their education.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a thought... I'm not opposed to online education, but does this mean that we are going to have a glut of seminary educated people and not much to do with them (similar to the many number of PhD programs and thus PhD's w/ no job)? That would be a good problem to have, but I wonder if the quality will diminish too. Just thinking out loud.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I don't think it'll be an issue, if the reports of the numbers of people leaving the ministry are true.

6. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    +1, on this.

I'm also not worried about quality diminishing because it's an online class. I would say that in an online class it becomes a lot more difficult to simply slide through a class than it is with a standard lecture class. Assignments are usually more pointed and require more work. Discussions usually require that every student write something on the subject, instead of the standard small group of outspoken people that tend to dominate a standard class.

I know the diminishing quality of education in general, especially when it comes to seminaries, has been beat to death on this board so I won't rehash anything that hasn't already been said. I will say though that I don't believe that a shift to hybrid or online classes will be the reason for it.

#6 RG2, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  7. Siberian

Siberian New Member

As for too many seminary-trained people... The mission field is huge!
    As to quality, not sure why it would diminish just because there is more training available.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good! Maybe some will finally make it to the North East (but I doubt it)!:smilewinkgrin: