1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBTS Professor: NIV May Not Be Word of God

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jerome, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't the opposite true about 150 years ago in that they gave more credibility to the LXX rather than the MT. If I recall right Hebrew was not taught much and the LXX was relied upon.

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I'm glad you came back to this conversation.
    You didn't. I'm sorry that it wasn't clear and you misunderstood my post. I was merely commenting upon what authors of apologetic books or 'Bible survey' book write. I had just used your quote as the jumping-off point.

I was hoping you would address my questions that: If the meaning of the superscripts are unknown (or uncertain), AND if they are placed incorrectly in our English translations (Thirtle's theory) then how can they be helpful?

#42 franklinmonroe, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I'm not planning on spending a lot of time on this but I did a little checking into the Hebrew of the Psalms as found in the Dead Sea scroll fragments. In those Psalms in which the DDS actually preserved a superscript they are nearly always in full agreement with the MT reading. However, it seems there are a few variants of the Psalm headings between the DDS and the MT.

For example, at Psalm 33 (page 522) in Abegg, Flint, & Ulrich's Dead Sea Scrolls Bible English translation from 4QPsq there is a superscription "Of David. A Song, a Psalm" that is supported by the LXX but not found in the MT.

The MT is a rather later and standardized text as compared to the DDS or the LXX. Why should they be excluded (especially where they are in agreement)? That is, if we are to be concerned about the removal of the word "Selah" from the main text to a footnote, shouldn't we we be equally (or more) concerned about including all genuinely original text?

#43 franklinmonroe, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011