1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scary Things Happening at Liberty

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whom it may concern:

You have got to see this. Dr. Falwell and Glen Beck. Is "saving America" more important than "theology," i.e., the Gospel of Jesus Christ? I would, with the 4th of July coming this week, like to hear your response to this blog and quote. It is quite telling to say the least!!!!

I would say "enjoy," but I think we need to re-prioritize as ministers of the Gospel. It is hard to separate patriotism and the Gospel sometimes in America.

Please get back to me with wise and timely responses.

http://ncbaptist.blogspot.com/2010/...ghtsOfAnNcBaptist+(Thoughts+of+an+NC+Baptist)

Let me know what you think, please.

"That is all!"

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On first reading, it is quite disturbing.

However, the issue may simply be of a lack of clarity. Although I do not agree with him on every issue, the chancellor may simply be reflecting that on moral issues, it may be more effective to cooperate with those with whom you disagree on other issues.

Consider this: I am pro-life. I would be happy to cooperate with a pro-life individual who does not believe in God on this issue. His lack of faith would not be a deterrent to cooperation.

That does not mean that our differences are insignificant, but for the issue at hand, it is more important that we agree on abortion policy.

I think that if questioned, Falwell would clarify his intended meaning.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is the case then he really mispoke:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that he meant that there are bigger issues now than when his father led the Moral Majority.

I do believe he could have phrased it better.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beck mentioned, this week I think it was, that we all have to get together to save the country, suggesting all faith's come together for that common good.

In my mind it comes down to whether one thinks we have to save the country as a mandate of the Word. It will come to a balance for each individual between serving God and how involved we can get in the civil end of things without hindering our service to God.

Beck has been stirring in more and more "religion" in his radio show. Pushing the Mormon stockpile a years food type stuff and using Scriptural references to illustrate his points - sounding more like a preacher than comic that he purports to be. I've turned him off more than once in recent days - he has commented he has to do what he has to do - me too and that means shutting him off

6. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Let me note a couple of things about Liberty.

I have been concerned with some of their political activity for years. Jerry Sr. was encouraged to engage the culture by Francis Schaeffer, and we know that Jerry dove in head first.

Jerry Jr. is a person I like personally. He is a man I respect. However, he is not a theologian, he is a lawyer. As a result, his theological prowess is not as developed as his brother or his father (though, I would not say they have/had a strongly developed theology).

The quote is disturbing. Yet, when I attended Liberty I heard many quotes I believed were disturbing. Jerry Sr had a knack for saying outlandish things to get people's attention and most were on purpose. Yet, I couldn't help but love the man. Jerry Jr. is not as purposeful in his speech and I suspect he lets the event and his excitement to have him grasping for what to say. I hope this is just that situation as I would not expect him to really think a political cause is more important than the Gospel. I have always been concerned with their political involvement in some issues and the vastness of their involvement.

As for Glenn Beck, I think he is a funny entertainer and at times makes some good points. However, his Mormonism is disturbing as is some of his political viewpoints. Yet, if you ever get the opportunity to listen to his More On Trivia, you will bust a gut. I, personally, do not like any of the major radio talk show guys for intellectual stimulation. Most are entertaining but I find their talk shows are often a better exercise in teaching the various fallacies of logic.

7. Siberian

Siberian New Member

Only if we want our priorities to line up with God's.... There are several ministers that I know who are, if one can judge by the preponderance of the things they say, more concerned with American politics than they are with the gospel, personal holiness, and the glory of God among the nations.

I love America, but saving the moral fiber of America is not my calling as a minister of the gospel. Would God be pleased if the majority of hell-bound Americans became more moral?

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say the statement is misguided and dangerous. However Jerry Falwell Jr.'s statement only reflects what many modern evangelicals think and practice. They are willing to hold hands with any "conservative", regardless of that person's beliefs. It is clear evidence that modern evangelicalism has drifted away from the New Testament.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As an alumnus, who was blessed to be heavily involved with the leadership of the school, it is more clear that for the current leadership the lure of politics is far more enticing than the work of Gospel.

After this Beck business, the Caner trouble, and a few other matters of ongoing concern I have withdrawn my alumnus dollars (not that it matters it isn't much) and have written letters of protest over the actions. I am thankful for many professors, students, and leaders who continue to persevere for the Gospel...but the growing fascination with politics is distracting the school in its chief ministry.

I love my undergraduate institution, it is impacting the world. We just need to get the leaders off TV and back into developing church reviving strategies.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree with Siberian's recent post as well as Martin's. Spot on, both.