1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholar Against Women Pastors

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JFox1, Jan 7, 2007.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

PC in PC(USA) stands for Presbyterian Church.

2. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know; I was only joking, but most of your posts seem to be pretty PC...

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If not being a Fundie makes me PC, then all's the better.

4. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

AMEN!!!!!!!

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That's a false dichotomy often made on the BB and everywhere, in fact. Most christians are between the fundies and PCers.

What does fundie mean anyway? It used to mean those who hold to the fundamentals of the faith. Now it means all kinds of things - non-Christians use it to bash what they consider to be "extremist" Christians. I you think Jesus is the only way and the Bible is God's word, most nonbelievers will tell you that you are a fundamentalist. Some fundies are KJV only. Others are legalistic. I try not to use the term as it has become pejorative.

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Judging by the media a "fundie" is anybody who we are supposed to hate because of their narrow hateful view be they a fundie Christian, a fundie Muslim, or if the exist a fundie Hindu. They are poor deluded souls who are too narrow minded to embrace the truth of "tolerance" and being true to your cultural context.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

This is true. There are even Baptist pastors who share this view.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yes, because allowing other viewpoints to exist, and being relevant to the culture in which we live is clearly Satanic...

:laugh:

9. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Now you're getting it.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Go to dictionary.com, and look up the word "sarcasm."

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

S''ARCASM, n. [l. sarcasmus; Gr. from to deride or sneer at, primarily to fly or pluck off the skin.] A keen reproachful expression; a satirical remark or expression, uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe. Of this we have an example in the remark of the Jews respecting Christ, on the cross, "He saved others, himself he cannot save." (Source: 1828 Webster's)

sar·casm /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahr-kaz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms. (Source: Dictionary.com)​

Are scornful, contemptuous, taunting, sneering and cutting remarks something you want to advocate for?

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If the shoe fits.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Fair enough. I believe I called you Ms. Pizza twice to highlight your effeminate worldview and this was wrong and sarcastic. I apologize.

Though I am not guiltless of using it, I do not advocate for its use.

“Sarcasm is the language of the devil, for which reason I have long since as good as renounced it” - Thomas Carlyle​

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I think thats really nice when people apologize for being grouchy with one another... it shows good character..

15. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

I went to a church where the pastors wife taught the congregation during Sunday School but I couldn't help notice how much like preaching she made her "teaching" sound. She left no room for discussion and it felt like a sermon instead of a teaching where we could ask question and such like you would during a normal Sunday School class.

I felt very uncomfortable have a woman speak over a group of men, especially a group that had 3 ordained ministers one being myself the other her husband, the pastor, and one other who was a member of the church.

I fervently believe that a woman should never preach nor teach in the presence of men, God always provides a way for his work to be done by His Word and even in situations like mission fields its still not biblical for a woman to teach over men.

Some may disagree with me but thats ok the Bible is clear.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
    34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

This is very clear and it is not old fashioned it is the Word of God and I will never understand why some woman just cant stomach this and they still say they love the Lord?

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

All women are not the same you can not lump all of us into one group. I have no desire to be a pastor or preacher, or take over a man's roll.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

St Paul honored female pastors and deacons who had the gift to do the job. His churches didn't have a fixed or appointed or elected leadership. The Holy Spirit made the selection. The "Pastorials" were probably written after Paul's death.

18. music4Him

music4Him New Member

No disrespect Rev Lowery but when you wrote...
    I have been to many a Babtist church and sorry to say I have never seen a woman teach/preach a Sunday school class. But the men that did take over the Sunday school however sound just like that woman you described. And whats more most of the doctrine they taught was their veiw.

Billwald said...

Yes Amen! Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. :applause:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Umm - other than Pheobe, who was a servant of the church, who else did Paul honor? I certainly see NO female pastor in Scripture anywhere - a woman who had leadership over others and/or taught the congregations.

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Throughout this entire thread the ONLY reasoning given for supporting women pastors was anecdotal examples of women who were good at it.........of course, the one man that said he has a woman pastor was rude and sarcastic and from what I can see in other places this is his MO most of the time........not a very good recommendation for her pastoral influence.

However, the Bible does NOT say that women ought not teach the men in the church because she's more stupid, or has no talent or is "less than equal." The BIBLE (which we would all claim is our rule of faith and practice) says that the men have a specific role and the women have a specific and different role in church. The woman's ability to expound upon a Bible passage is not in question. I know many women who can do that.........Ive come up with Bible studies myself! I think that any Christian who is actively studying their Bible should be coming up with ideas they could impart to others. This does not automatically mean they are Biblically qualified to be the pastor of a church.