1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholar Against Women Pastors

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JFox1, Jan 7, 2007.

1. bmerr

bmerr New Member

pizza,

bmerr here. My condolences concerning your friend. It is an unfortunate fact of life that some people emphasize certain portions of the Bible to the point of fanatacism, and their followers commit horrible acts while claiming the Bible as their source of authority. The above mentioned murderer was completely out of line with God and His Book.

In Christ,

bmerr

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bmerr,

What do you do with 1 Corinthians 11:5? I realize that I am not going to change your mind, just thought I would point out the preaching on the part of women was a normal and expected part of the early church at least according to Paul.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

But isn't this carrying out the theology of folks like Jack Hyles (who says that women preachers and bossy women are an abomination) to its logical conclusion?

If women are bad seed to some "Christians," then killing them is doing God a service, is it not? Especially if they go so far as to answer God's call on their lives to preach the Gospel...

Igf a point of theology does not bring life, that point of theology is suspect to say the least. I cannot find one instance where this phobia over women in the pulpit is life-bringing.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this statement struck me as funny.

Wasn't it Adam that did not take the lead? If he had been active in his leadership role, he would have yanked that apple out of Eve's hand! Instead, he took it and ate. I think he definitely failed in his leadship role.
    Just an observation. :)

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Quite an accurate observation, Amy. If we are to believe the Creation Hymns as historically factual, we must admit that the Scriptures clearly state that Adam was there with Eve through the whole exchange with the serpent.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not only did Adam fail in leadership responsibility, he blamed the woman and God.

"The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate."

And us women are still taking the blame to this day! :laugh:

And, yes, they were together when the fruit was eaten.
    "She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate."

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1 Corinthians 11:5 says "but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as if her head were shaven." I don't see any preaching here, so there's no conflict with what bmerr is saying.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I looked up prophesy in Strongs and it means: to speak from divine inspiration.
    Women are allowed to do this. Although if it is divinely inspired, why would they need permission?

I also looked up preach. It means: to declare good news. The gospel.

Preaching doesn't seem to have the divine inspiration that prophesying does, so it appears that prophesy is God speaking directly through a person, but to preach doesn't require a direct revelation from God, so anyone should be allowed to preach.
    Am I making any sense? I'm not sure if I've worded this right.

Women were not forbidden to prophesy (as if they could be, since it comes from God), so why would women not be allowed to preach, since to "preach" means to declare the gospel of Christ?
    Preach and teach seem to mean different things.

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All Christians are of GOOD SEED. All Christians fail from time to time and All Christians fall short of the glory of God while trapped here in this body of death. This does not nullify the word of God concerning His order of authority. And any murderer is NOT a Christian, this includes hating another as well. Anyone who "hates" women pastors is NOT a Christian. We will all answer to Christ at the judgment seat of Christ.

God Bless!

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Denyong someone the ability to follow the calling of God on their lives is tantamount to hatred.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If it is contrary to the Word of God, I doubt it's God calling them to do it.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, Ann!

13. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

The thread is getting a bit out of wack guys,

Some ppl will do what they want and they dont care what God thinks!

Some female well meaning Christians are feminists and they think men should be subordinate and women have all the rights a privileges as men and maybe to an extent in this day and age thats true but its not true in the eye's of God!

Women should be subordinate to there husbands period! But, only in as much as the Church is to Christ as stated in the Book of Ephesians.

Folks women are not to have authority over men thats what the Bible says and if you don't like it tough get on your knees and pray about it! Ask God to help you to be the women you are suppose to be not the woman you want to be!

Remember ladies is not what you think is right or who is right! God is right and His Word is Perfect!

Women have more power now then ever in all of history and still its not enough, women have all the rights that men do and then some and it has even been stated that God is a women....................How far will this go?

Women are not to hold leadership roles in a church or to have authority over men in matters that pertain to God no matter what they be named, called, or whatever its not proper according to the will of God and His Word!

Women get mad all you like its right there in the Bible to read!

Do I think a woman can preach?
    Sure as long as it is not in a position of authority or in a congregation with men in it!

Do I think its sexiest?
    No its proper according to God!

Do most women think its sexiest?
    You bet they do!

Are those women submitting there lives to Jesus?
    NO WAY, cause they cant!

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

:rolleyes: Havent we had enough??

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Um...Rev Lowery...I think you mean sexist.

Unless you think a woman preacher is the sexiest thing you've ever seen.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, now THAT was a funny misspell. I don't care who you are.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of men or women, if the job of Pastor is really endangering the life and dying the death by torture as we read in the history of the True Believers churches, I wonder how many people would still pursue the job title Pastor. Why do the church people try to receive the honor one another, and seek not the honor that comes from God only? ( John 5:44)

Here is some answer about this question by William McDonald who is 97 year old but still preaching and writing books, in Sacramento, CA.

Should We Hire a Pastor?

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/page.php?page_id=1688

The Church loved by Christ

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/series.php?series_id=23

The most of the hireling pastors say that they are too much busy for the Lord. However, in reality they prohibit the laymen from doing the work for the Lord and often try to monopolize the work for themselves.

For example, they believe that most of the sacraments should be performed by the pastors only. So, they are busy in Baptism, in presiding the Lord Supper, preaching the sermons every week, visiting the patients at home and at hospitals etc.

They may expect some great reward from the Lord and say to the Lord, I have done this and that and was so busy while I served the Lord.
    However, the Lord will tell them, when did I tell you that you should monopolize the service for me?

For example, I am not an elder, but baptize the new believers, and sometimes break the Bread for the congregation at the Lord Supper which we perform every week. I sometimes stand up and pray for the public at the worship service. Not only myself, any grown up, mature brothers at our chapel conduct the Baptism and Lord Supper. We know that we are all honorable guests purchased by the Blood of Jesus Christ and the LOrd Jesus is the Host of the Supper. No human pastor is in the service but Jesus Himself is our Pastor. We have done this way during the past 180 years but have encountered no problem at all.

We have proven this is the most effective way of preaching the Gospel even during the Soviet Russian regime, and even today we have good fellowship meetings in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran where the big churches are difficult to survive. In KUwait we have churches with more than 200 attendants. As we followed the NT teachings God has blessed us so much that we have many great believers such as J.N. Darby, CH McINtosh ( Pentateuch), David Livingstone( Africa), Hudson Taylor ( China), Erich Sauer ( Germany), George Mueller(Father of Orphans), JOseph Scrivener( What a friend have we in Jesus!), Harry Ironside, and so on.
    Most of the books by them are found here:

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/author.php

We do have full time workers ( elders) and part time workers, and tent making workers too. But the full time workers are not superior to the part time workers or to the tent making ministers. They are all equally taking the burdens. Moreover the elders may use the pulpit only for about 30% of the chances, the rest is shared by any of our grownup brothers and visitors.

Sadly many churches hire the hireling pastors and then assign all the jobs for the Lord to them, then the laymen and laywomen are sitting in the pews and just listen to them. It is quite convenient for the fast-food churches serving the fully cooked instant foods. They have no chance to nurture the Gifts of God!
    Pastors do not stir up the Gifts of the believers. They may feel the growth of the Lay people endangers their positions! Because they are sitting in the seat of Jesus Christ.

More than anything else, we should remember that Jesus HATES the doctrines of Nicolaitanes! ( Rev 2:6, 15)

Why do the women pursue such Pastor jobs? Are they ready to drink the Cup to be given by the Lord? OR DO THEY LOVE THE RESPECTS FROM THE HUMAN BEINGS?

#96 Eliyahu, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Slow down, rbell! You've already earned two posts on the thread Humorous Quotes by BB Members today! :laugh:

18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If this is truth, then if a Christian claims that God has called them to preach the acceptance of homosexuality and to be an advocate for it, to deny them the ability in the church to follow "God's call" would also be hatred, and I guess hatred for God Himself.

First you must establish from the scriptures if what a person claims is a call from God could really be a call from God. As was said, God would not call a Christian to do something that He has clearly revealed in His word was a no no.

So you can argue the scriptures about women's roles in the church, but your comment about hatred is only an opinion. Unless you have scripture that tells us that denying a Christian's claim to a call is hatred regardless of God's word being in oposition to the claimed call.

God Bless!

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, I tried.

20. music4Him

music4Him New Member

You are correct. Although we come under athority to God not to pastor a church. We can preach and prophesy.

BTW, The men in church had a 2 week warning that I was going to preach and they showed up anyways.
    Ijust get tired of the stereotype of all preachers should be male. Pastors of churches should be, but there are still (like it or not) women preachers. :flower: