1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholars vs. Laity part 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Amy.G, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree in your interpretation of the guy. I see a very well read & disciplined individual with the will to win. I just dont understand his desire to be in the ministry. Qualities like that are tailor made for someone in business or even on Wall Street. Speaking of which, come to NYC & I will show you some folks who are truly arrogant. Oh Lord arrogant +++ and proud of it. Most are contained on Wall, Pine & Maiden Lane in the lower quadrant.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the answer. How come neither Luke nor Havensdad could give that answer?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the context of this thread, my intention was to convey that a poor seminary student conveys poor teaching, and thus leads souls down a wrong path. "Sends" was not a correct choice of words.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I don't know...

Perhaps it is time for a thread where we explore each other's educational credentials. But, only if we can do that in a manner where we don't cut down people. We have no right to do that, no matter the circumstances of one's educational status.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has become quite evident that you are only a cyber bully looking to cause fights. Your actions are VERY un-Christ like. You cannot even accept an apology without your finger wagging and brow bashing. The fact you qualified your statement with "but" shows you never did.

At this point, I do have serious questions about you being fit for the ministry...honestly. No amount of seminary knowledge can trump your attitude, and I pray you seriously repent.

I find it quite telling you will not tell me whether or not you agree with Edwards' view on Governmental Theory atonement. Are you afraid you might admit his view is ...*gasp*...unorthodox? You can't do that, though...you have to win at all costs, right?

I'm not concerned with what people say about me to you through PM. If highly educated people feel they need to gossip about others, they don't answer to me about that. I also find it rich that someone would say anything about my intellect when I posted something so intellectually foolish from a "doctor" done via email and PM.

In my 5 years I've only had to block one person on the BB. It is looking like this needs to be done again.

#45 webdog, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guy, now your overqualified & nobody can afford you! LOL ...just pulling your worm....LOL

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am reasonably affordable. The first decent church that sends me an offer may find out just how... :thumbs:

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I concur with your statement. Seriously, this is a shame, and his attitude and demeanor are not becoming to ministry, let alone to someone in laity.

That this is the attitude so prevalent in the church is heart breaking.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for one know it's impossible, but evidently Don doesn't.

I didn't have anything to do with my own eternal destiny, let alone anyone else's.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don already addressed what he meant a few posts up (#43). Do you disagree?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a note - threads that pass 10pages are (or should be) immediately locked. Too long for people to read all the posts and respond intelligently.

If still have questions/comments not dealt with, go for a new thread. No issue.

Most, like this topic, are worth about 1 page. Two different views and then just those for/against waxing prolific; nothing new.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, Don neither confirmed or denied.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....killjoy....

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Thank you Don. You inadvertantly hit upon one of my pet peeves.

#55 menageriekeeper, Dec 7, 2010
  16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Sort of has an "ecclesiatical" ring to it.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are welcome to KISS my ecclesiastical ring, if you'd like.:thumbs:

(Fewer years in purgatory . . . )

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Exactly. On another thread I posted an article from R. C. Sproul about regeneration preceding faith. R.C. Sproul was a born again Christian who had never heard this doctrine until it was introduced to him by a professor at seminary. In his own words he called it a "strange-sounding teaching", but was convinced by the professor that it was true. And why was he convinced? Primarily because he was taught many notable Christians such as Jonathan Edwards held this view, not because it was shown in scripture. Fact is, it is not shown in scripture and no layman would ever come to this belief from simply studying the scriptures.

People are impressed by "scholars". That is good when the scholar is teaching truth, it can be very harmful if the scholar is teaching falsehood.

#58 Winman, Dec 7, 2010
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Webdog, I had never heard of this theory, so I looked it up. Funny, the first thing this article said about Edwards theory is that it was clearly unorthodox.

Jonathan Edwards was a great preacher. I live less than 30 miles from his original church and have passed by it. Although he is credited with bringing many to the Lord, he also taught error. We should never allow ourselves to be overly impressed with fame or scholarship.

I used to work with a fellow back in the 80's who was Pentacostal and almost worshipped Jimmy Swaggart. He used to tell me that Baptists like myself were all a bunch of hypocrites that go out drinking Saturday night, and then show up for church on Sunday playing the saint. We used to go round and round.

Well, when Jimmy Swaggart fell into sin this fellow was absolutely devastated. He became very depressed and stayed out of work for awhile. He dropped out of his church and fell into bad ways. He had wrapped himself all up in this man. He was crushed to believe he could be misled and deceived by someone he trusted.

Scholars are men just like anyone else, they are not immune to error. We should always examine any person's doctrine or teaching in light of the scriptures. We can't always trust men, but we can always trust God's Word.

#59 Winman, Dec 7, 2010
  20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is a straw man, though Amy. Haven'sdad, nor me, nor anybody else said that just because one has a degree it makes them right and the layman with whom they are debating wrong.

We have stated this no less than a dozen times. I don't know why you keep misrepresenting what we say. Are you trying to makes villains of us here? Because if you could convince me that someone said that on here it would cause me to think less of that person. So is that what you are trying to do? Make folks think less of us?

If not, why do you keep misrepresenting us.

We have said clearly, numerous times, that a degree TENDS to give one a leg up on the average layman concerning biblical knowledge.

Havensdad never said that because a majority of seminarians are Calvinistic that that means that Calvinists are right and Arminians are wrong. He said that it is "telling".

So is blood on the hands of a person at a murder scene. It is telling evidence but it is not conclusive by itself. That is all that you can rightly deduce from Havensdad or my statements. That's it.

Please retire this straw man who said that having a degree makes one right and the one that says that NO layman can ever be as knowledgeable about the Bible as any seminarian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.