1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholars vs. Laity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Amy.G, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

All of you who are advocating actions as more important than beliefs/doctrine; you do understand that this is Phariseeism, right? Right actions are ONLY legitimate, if they stem from a proper understanding of God's Word, and hence, a right motivation for the action taken. After all:

1Th 2:13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.

For the Word to work in you, you must have knowledge of it. A greater knowledge of God's Word does not guarantee Godliness, but an ignorance of God's Word guarantees a LACK of Godliness.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I must have missed it. Who are all these people advocating this.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree. Since Pentecost, Christ's Church has flourished regardless of the culture or world system at that particular time.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What if I said: "The majority of scholars/seminary professors reject Calvinism whereas it's mainly the uneducated laity that believe in Calvinism. That does seem to suggest something."

How would you react to a statement like that?

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Me too, must have missed that. BTW

Ezekiel 33: "But I will judge each of you according to his own ways."

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Amy, he might just have poor observational skills. He made this claim also:

"All of you who are advocating actions as more important than beliefs/doctrine;"

When asked to produce proof of this, nothing. When asked to produce proof of the claim you just previously quoted, nothing.

I am starting to believe he just pulls these types of things out of the air, and words them like facts without any actual proof of that at all.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    now your beginning to babble. Nobody said that. I think most people in here respect learning & learning takes many many forms. Formal education is just one.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But this thread has just again deteriorated into a Calvinist / Non Calvinist rant.... And its very unbecoming the quality of the people I assumed were above that. you folks want to go on hating one another thats fine with me but Im done with it. Chao

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a couple of problems with this statement.
    1) Before the "Roman Catholic Church" it was the "Catholic Church" and if you read the ecuminical councils and much of the early Christian writings you will find that many men were very educated.
    2) Seminaries started very early in the church. That is why for the early part of Christian history you have two primary locations of Christian education or study a) Alexandria and b) Antioch. Much Later Hyppolitus started a school in Rome.
    3)Jerome who translated the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic Text into latin used the earliest sources he could find and was very thurough. The latin translation was just that. A latin Translation.
    4) During the reformation. The reformers didn't go back to the "original greek" what they did was they went to a compilation of Greek text that came from an incomplete document of the Byzantine text. Erasimus and Stephanus used other source documents to create a here to for non existant single text of the NT into Greek. Even taking Jerome's comon latin text (latin vulgate) and translated back into Greek.
    5) The reformers broke with Rome because of abuses and teachings that were more "modern" for them than historically the problem. Which is why many held to St. Augustines teachings.

10. quantumfaith

Thanks once again TS for another clear, concise and articulate contribution to the debate.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Depends on what you mean. A willful ignorance of God's word? Yes. However, there have been many Godly men and women with a cursory knowledge of the word of God. Also I wonder about the NT believers if the first book of the NT was writen 20 years after Jesus' death and resurrection then there was only a limited knowledge of the "word" of God. What people relied on was the Testimony of the Apostles.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Nobody has advocated a willful ignorance of God's word. That is a strawman and a diversion from the actual topic of this thread.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's not a diversion if you read the rest of the post. Apart from willful ignorance of the word of God I believe people can be Godly with very little knowledge of the word of God. So I disagree in this context with the person I quoted.

14. quantumfaith

Amy, to which post are you responding?

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

"I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation." Psalm 119:99 - KJV

(wow, David knew more because he studied and meditated on the word?)

"I know more than any of you: especially the laity, for thou sentest me to seminary." "Psalm 119:99" - ABSV (Arrogant Baptist Scholar Version)

- just for fun

:thumbs:

16. quantumfaith

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Weren't you quoting 1 Opinions 119 from the ABSV? :D

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm sorry. I was responding to Havensdad's post. Not you guys. :)

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree. I was responding to Havensdad. Sorry for the confusion. I guess that's what happens when you're just a dumb ol member of the laity. :laugh:

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Steven...

Although JAMES said this, true enough, the word religion here means something like "ceremonial observance." True Christianity is first and FOREMOST right belief/doctrine. Salvation by Grace through faith in Christ...and not the "Christ" of Mormonism, Jehovah's witnesses, etc., etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.