1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholarship

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A few more years beyond you to know that sometimes winning an argument is not all that important.

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Won't say? What's the big secret? You asked me and I told you. Now you want to keep your age a secret? Why? Hiding something?

As for "winning an argument." I think you better go back and read the thread again. There is no argument. Askjo made a false claim regarding the NKJV. I showed him why his claim was false and recommended a better concordance/lexicon as a resource. He then claimed the concordance/lexicon I recommended was wrong. I have tried repeatedly to get him to defend his claims but so far he has failed to do so. It is obvious there is no argument.

Perhaps you are callous enough to allow him to remain in his error, but I am not. I understand my calling is to be a teacher of God's people and to bring those who have fallen into the pit of error back to the truth. If you don't want to do that, fine, but don't look down your self-righteous nose at those who are willing to go into the fray to defend the faith once delivered to the saints.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Skan, arugment means no win!

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think my life will demonstrate clearly that there have been times when I stood for the truth. Once it cost me the job as pastor of a church that wanted to live its error and let the Mormon bishop come and teach while others at the state level and in the association stood by and watched telling me there was nothing they could do.

It seeemed to me that your argument was going no where and it was a case of "yes you are, no I'm not" type of communication. If the person will not argue the facts after you point out to them the error of their ways there is little you can do to get them to respond. My thought is that we must use speech that is gracious as is written in Col. 4:6, "Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." I am gulity myself for posting at times words that are not very gracious.

In my opinion I think you are overstating the argument about the concordance to a degree. I don't remember you giving him any information about the compilers such as Kohlenberger and Swanson. As I recall you told him that you didn't care about them and that he was to take your word for it. Perhaps he is hard headed. But belittling him will not win your point either.

I have read some of your other posts and noticed the names you have given the moderators and others.

Are you the only person who is always right? You have called others liars and ignorant. Just remember what scripture says, "Indeed , there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins."

I know there are times you disagree with me. You have the same right as I to disagree with you. But there are times I am in complete disagreement with you and after arguing the point you do not concede then there is no point in badgering you any more because I disagree with you.

Eccl. 3:7b, "A time to be silent and a time to speak."

I honestly appreciate many of the things you write but I think you could be a litle more gracious with your words.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I am not willing to give up on Askjo that easily.
    Just how have I over stated the argument? I can give you a list of over 100 errors in the old Strong's, the verse in question (Genesis 2:18) being one of them.
    I didn't. The only reason I mentioned their names was to identify the author's of the Stronger Strong's so Askjo would not confuse it with other similarly titled works.
    Take my word for what? That I don't know them and don't care about them insofar as Askjo's accusation of my obsession with them? What are you talking about? I made no claims at all regarding them, only regarding their work, which I said corrects many of the errors of the old Strong's. I stand by that statement.
    I don't think he is hard headed. I think he is afraid he will be rejected by his KJVO friends and church if he admits he was wrong in his assessment of the NKJV.
    I have never made such a claim.
    Yes, when they lie or post that which is ignorant.
    I have never claimed otherwise.
    I am not so willing to abandon Askjo as you seem to be.
    I will do whatever it takes to expose his error and bring him to the place of understand regarding the KJVO position. If you chose not to participate, please feel from to ignore the thread.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

..........does ANYBODY besides me think this sounds a little familiar?

Does anybody besides me think that maybe both are wrong because we are supposed to be mature and strive to be Christlike which does not mean petty arguments which have NOTHING to do with attempting to "help" someone learn the truth?

It is my humble opinion that the truth cannot be crammed down someone's throat. Does anybody on this board actually think that one of the two above will change their minds based on the other's grandiose persuasive powers? :rolleyes:

Is it POSSIBLE to put the "ego" on the shelf and debate the subject without personal remarks. I certainly hope so, otherwise non-christians are going to think us Christians are nothing but a bunch of JERKS! Sorry, but for once I'm going to call it like it see it. :eek:

7. shane usry

shane usry New Member

Phillip, I think one of the most overlooked sins, often intentionally I fear, is waste of time. That seems to apply here. You think?

8. shane usry

shane usry New Member

GIRLS!...GIRLS! WE ARE GONNA MAKE YOU SIT RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER IF YOU DON'T STOP IT! :eek:

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Good point and I fear that it is one of my major sins, also. . .

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

The funny part is that the title of this thread is "scholarship".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

In parody of reputedly the wisest man who ever lived, inanity of inanities all is inanity. He would have been describing scholarship, I think.
    :cool:

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course this only applies to scholarship that occurred after the Great Awakening and beginning of the Age of Reason.

It could not possibly apply to scholarship firmly rooted in 1000 years of Roman Catholic domination in all branches of academia.