1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Schuller Daughter Now Co-Leader of Crystal Cathedral

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea wouldn't want to quote him directly that might ...I don't know present facts. There is no context in which those quotes can be reconciled with scripture. Schuller is the epitome of hyper liberal and his gospel is another gospel. Defending him destroys ones credibility.

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Crystal Cathedral is a member of the Reformed Church in America. From the Crystal Cathedal -- what we believe ---

"Words from Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Founding Pastor.
    About God
    God is the Holy, all-knowing, all-powerful Creator and the Ruler of the universe, present everywhere.

God is the Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

God is our Father and provides for all the needs of our bodies and souls, in this life and the next.

About Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ is fully God, and the only begotten Son of God, born of the Virgin Mary.

The only sinless qualified Savior of humankind, He gave His life as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of the world (substitutionary atonement).

Taking the punishment of our sins, he died on the cross.
    He bodily arose from the dead, appeared to multitudes, ascended into heaven, and is alive forevermore, seated at the right hand of God the Father.

He is King of Kings, reigns with God the Father, will return to earth, and will be victorious over all evil.

About The Holy Spirit
    The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son, three persons in the triune God.

He is “the Comforter” who dwells in our hearts, convincing us of the truth of Christ’s teachings, convicting us of sin, and helping us to do right.

About Our Relationship with God
    We are designed for everlasting life, but we are by nature sinful, and cannot make ourselves good; therefore we are separated from God.

We can only be made righteous (holy in the sight of God), by accepting God’s forgiveness for our sins through trusting in Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.

We will be given newness of life and eternal life because of faith in Jesus Christ.
    When we know Christ, we can fully glorify God on Earth.

About the Bible
    The Bible is the inspired (“God-breathed”), perfect, complete Word of God.

It is our only guide to show us what we should believe and how we should live.
    It is for everyone to read so that all may know God, and hear Him speak to our hearts and minds.

About the Church
    The Church is made up of persons of every race, generation and background who trust in Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church, and the members are His Body, equipped with spiritual gifts (God-given talents and abilities), to live successfully and to carry out Christ’s mission on earth.

Children of church members are called "children of the covenant." Their baptism is a sign and seal of this covenant relationship and of their membership in the Christian church.

The church meets to worship God, to grow in the faith, to encourage one another, and then goes out into the world to make Jesus Christ known.
    Christians bring God’s redemptive presence into all areas of life and culture."

Doesn't sound very liberal to me.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cannot get any more liberal than that.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's actually not a quote from Christianity Today Magazine. It's a quote from a book, which CT quoted. That quote is taken out of context.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no context in which it could be any different but when you have nothing else the old "its taken out of context" is a good back up.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not a big Schuller fan (or even a Crystal Cathedral fan), but context is eveything. Otherwise, I would be pulling out my eye when I sin or murdering my banker because he charges interest.

Regardless of his statements in/out of context, you can view the church's statement of faith on their web site -- including their response to the new age movement and a link to their Christian school. Seems pretty standard. However, my guess is that an RCA church (especially in California) may seem liberal to Baptists (especially from the South).

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context indeed. As an example, compare the actual words of Schuller from his broadcast announcing his son's departure and the manufactured quotation a prominent Southern Baptist blogger used in a gossipy critique of the elder Schuller:

"In the early seasons I was called to start a mission, not a church. There is a difference, quite a difference. The church is a gathering of people who share a faith, ritual, creeds, etc. I have utmost respect for the church as an institution. But a mission is a place where you do not try to preach and convert people to an institution.
    A mission is a place where you ask non-believers to come and find hope and feel love! I will probably never preach a sermon on some of the creeds of our denomination because we are a mission first, we're a church second." ---Actual broadcast

""I was called to start a mission, not a church," Schuller told his audience Sunday. "There is a difference. . . . You don't try to preach. . . what is sin and what isn't sin. A mission is a place where you ask nonbelievers to come and find faith and hope and feel love. We're a mission first, a church second."" ---the "quote" as cited on albertmohler.com

Using on the manufactured quotation, the blogger proceeded to ask the rhetorical question, "Was the younger Schuller ousted because he was preaching sermons the father considered to be too biblical in content?"

#27 Jerome, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009