1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sciencetologists vs Christians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I was watching "The Today Show" today, and they are doing a little series on "unusual" religions, and today was "Sciencetology." It has been heavy on my heart since then for several reasons.

1) What are we doing wrong, as witnesses for Christ, that people who are reaching out, desperately searching for something that will bring them peace and inner joy, turn to a science fiction writer and embrace his fiction as a religion?

2) How can these people who say they want something that will "clense the turmoil of their soul," miss Christ and turn to fiction?

3) Why is it that people will point to Christians and tell us that we are wrong and mean to say our faith is the only truth faith, but they do not point to people like this and tell them that they are wrong and mean?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tex

Hollywood and modern marketing has corrupted the way americans think and behave ... So, they are looking for corrupted versions of Jesus ...

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

TexasSky,

1. We are terrible at meeting them where they are. If they were to search inside our churches, they would find Jesus. But unfortunately, they aren't looking inside our walls, and we're not very good at taking Christ outside the walls.

2. Because of #1, they haven't been introduced to Jesus.

3. Have you seen or heard the Christians that seem to always have the public's ear? I think they're mean and wrong, and I'm in the family with them.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The church of Scientology is a cult and as such, those who get in it have a totally different worldview. They do not see reality the same way they do.

It is not that people are seeking truth and stumble on the "wrong" belief, it is more that people do not want a God who judges sin. They don't want judgment. There are thousands of things to choose from that offer this kind of god, or that offer a philosophy where you are the god (Scientology does not really have a God -- they refer to a vague type of principle or being but it's very minor).

The church of scientology offers power -- MEST -- power over matter, energy, space, and time. Self-empowerment is a popular religion and is growing.

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I ditto everything Marcia said. Oh, and

I don't know about this. I think Tom Cruise has been taking a lot of heat for some of his outspoken scientology views of late.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1: "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths."
    ---I Tim. 4:3-4

#2: "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish..."
    ---John 10:26-28a

#3: "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you."
    ---John 15:18-19

Tell the whole truth, in love and compassion, and God the Holy Spirit will move in a person's life as He sees fit.