1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scottish independence: Sterling on knife-edge as City braces for Scots vote

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by poncho, Sep 15, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May we conclude that the Scots in their laziness are now the white man's burden?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, there is now talk of an English independence movement...or at least greater devolved powers to the English regions/ counties

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, here in central Indiana, we heard that no one in Glasgow has worked in years. Why should some ethnic groups on the dole get more than others? In this country, we only favor illegal immigrants and Islamists who cry sharia law when they use murder as a form of divorce (what used to be called divorce, Italian style). We judge a person's worthiness for welfare on their membership in the Democrat Party. We subsidize college education for illegal immigrants (they get in-state tuition rates) and we fund "aids" hotlines for gays so they can talk to their friends free. University professors get "grants" to find out why college students watch tv (why not?) and the super rich get government-funded docks for their yachts.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Probably never noticed it's a global policy though huh?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you may not! And do not disrupt the hard working people who make the fine single malt scotch whiskey they charge me $60.00 Bucks for (or more). you can keep the haggis though.

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh:

I wonder if Glasgow is the city involved?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ah Noooooo.....but Glasgow was at one time a big ship building town....the place was booming at one time.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your personal opinion on this situation?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just like home, people need work and/or retraining. Scotland has oil reserves & fishing & whiskey distilleries but they need industry & they need more prosperity. But its not just Scotland.....its Wales & Cornwall & Northern Ireland as well. The UK needs to reinvent themselves just as we do. Infrastructure rebuilding is always ongoing....step it up a few notches. Personally, I believe they skewed up when they got rid of Winston. :smilewinkgrin:

Or another war....this time with Rootin Tootin on the European Front & some moppin up of ISIS (With our help). That would get stuff going. And the Scots love to fight....I should know, my wife is part Scots (Sinclair).

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reckon William Wallace just rolled over?

He might say the common people have been bought by the English just like the nobility was in his day.

So. No independence.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know anything about Scottish nobility brother.....many were related to English nobility or were always in league with the Sasin. Same with the Welsh ala the "Prince of Wales "

But you are right....these people have no stomach for independence ....they remind me of many of the people in Pennsylvania (that I know so well) ....after years of working in the mines or steel mills these people are broken and too willing to live off the government dole. And this goes on generationally unfortunately.

But you will have to tell me about Texas....I hear most of the population perfers to work over living with BO foodstamps.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to derail the thread, this is a pretty good article about the differences between Texas and California. As for the Texas welfare program, let's just say it puts a premium on getting a job.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Not true. Although Glasgow has a higher unemployment rate that the rest of the UK, indeed most of the rest of Scotland, that is in part historical and structural, as EW&F has said: the decline of shipbuilding and other industries on the Clyde from the 1970s onwards, there being similarities with the rust-belt phenomenon of the American Mid-West with which you are doubtless familiar given your location. But the idea of multi-generational unemployment (as opposed to being in very poorly-paid work for generations) is an urban myth. An additional reason for the Scots being subsidised as a country is that the more rural location are also pockets of poverty, a legacy in part of the Highland Clearances. So I understand the reasons, but still think the lily is gilded!

EW&F is also correct about the Scottish nobility - most of them were from the same 'Anglo-Norman stock' as the nobility in England and Ireland and were thus as foreign and as oppressing as the ruling caste in England eg: the Stewarts (originally the FitzAlans) came from Dol-de-Bretagne in Brittany, the Bruces (or de Brus or de Braoses) from Brix in Normandy and the Balliols from Bailleul-en-Vimeu in the Somme valley.

Now, can we all join in a rousing chorus of "That's Why I Hate the French" to unite us?

#33 Matt Black, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  14. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

There seems to be a pressing desire for all ethnic groups to have independence....obviously there are multiple arguments about why this is the case, but is it not pointless when there are tiny nation states (I am thinking Pacific Ocean Islands/ Pasifika) that are never going to make it on their own, and in time will be gobbled up by larger neighbours either through economic hamstringing or the classic just barge in and take over.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hate is too strong a word....despising arrogance is by far the more accurate disposition. BTW, wasn't John Calvin French? :smilewinkgrin:

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am hoping that Mel Gibson can stay sober in spite of all this.

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Except that the Scottish form of nationalism espouse by the SNP is a civic rather than ethnic nationalism, hence why the vote was given to all residents of Scotland regardless of ethnicity.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist