1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture and Tradition

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45674
    Posted: August 9, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
    I'm also encouraged by Benedict XVI, who seems to have inherited John Paul II's humility as well as his loyalty to foundational doctrines. On Jan. 22, 1998, when he was still a cardinal and the grand Inquisitor (yes!) of the Roman Catholic Church, he declared that their archives (4,500 large volumes) indicate a death toll of 25 million killed by the Catholic Church for being "heretics." And likely two-thirds of the original volumes are lost. That kind of honesty will help relations (though there is no basis for uniting the RCC with Bible-believing Protestant churches).

Catholic Digest 11/1997 pg 100
    The question:
    A Baptist family who lives across the street gave me a book called the “Trail of Blood”, by J.M. Carroll. It attacks Catholic doctrine on infant Baptism, indulgences, purgatory, and so on. But I am writing to learn if there is anything in history that would justify the following quotation:

The answer from Fr. Ken Ryan:

In the article above – Fr. Ken Ryan makes the meaning of “extermination” of that group and “many other groups” clear for modern readers.
    Catholic apologists like Catholic Digest’s Fr. Ken Ryan quoted above often argue that the RCC isn't accountable for the Inquisition, since the state carried out the torturing and the executions. It was the RCC who defined these people as "heretics", however, and the RCC handed them over to the state (John 19:11).

The Fourth Lateran Council, the council that dogmatized transubstantiation, offered indulgences to those who would "exterminate heretics" and participate in a Crusade. Since this council refers to the RCC's influence over the state (John 19:11), it puts the lie to revisionist Catholic claims that the state acted apart from the RCC. The council declared (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/lat4-c3.html):

Secular authorities, whatever office they may hold, shall be admonished and induced and if necessary compelled by ecclesiastical censure, that as they wish to be esteemed and numbered among the faithful, so for the defense of the faith they ought publicly to take an oath that they will strive in good faith and to the best of their ability to exterminate in the territories subject to their jurisdiction all heretics pointed out by the Church; so that
    whenever anyone shall have assumed authority, whether spiritual or temporal, let him be bound to confirm this decree by oath. But if a temporal ruler, after having been requested and admonished by the Church, should neglect to cleanse his territory of this heretical foulness, let him be excommunicated by the metropolitan and the other bishops of the province. If he refuses to make satisfaction within a year, let the matter be made known to the
    supreme pontiff [the Pope], that he may declare the ruler's vassals absolved from their allegiance and may offer the territory to be ruled lay Catholics, who on the extermination of the heretics may possess it without hindrance and preserve it in the purity of faith; the right, however, of the chief ruler is to be respected as long as he offers no obstacle in this matter and permits freedom of action. The same law is to be observed in regard to those
    who have no chief rulers (that is, are independent). Catholics who have girded themselves with the cross for the extermination of the heretics, shall enjoy the indulgences and privileges granted to those who go in defense of the Holy Land.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not at all since we don't have schism prior to the end of the first millenium.

The Inquisition wasn't set up until after the split of 1054. All the events which you relate in your last post above happened post-1054.

3. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Hey Matt, given what yoiu are doing to my threads, can I call you a Baptist basher now?

4. Jillian

Jillian New Member

I have asked dozens of Catholics this question and never gotten an answer
    What ORAL TRADITIONS NOT in the BIBLE do CHRISTIANS NEED TO KNOW?

#24 Jillian, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Call me what you want, dearie, it doesn't bother me, It wouldn't be terribly accurate, though, since at no point have I ever said, nor do I believe, that Baptists are the Antichrist and are Hell-bound, unlike your spewed assertions about Catholics.

To answer your question about oral traditions which are needed, please re-read my OP - some examples are given there.

6. Jillian

Jillian New Member

[personal attack removed]

I know that my local UU church actually shares services and activities with the Anglicans.

#26 Jillian, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  7. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

It appears your OP is supportive of a form of Apostolic Succession, although I am not sure exactly what your beliefs concerning this are.

Let us look at early Christian writings outside of scripture. Specifically the Didache and if I have time Clement.
    I assume you have access to the document and so I will not post any links.
    You would agree that the Didache teaches that congregations are to choose their own leaders? You would also agree that is says that Apostles must be tested? Notice it does not say these Apostles are "false Apostles" as some in the RC claim. Instead the passage seems to indicate they were indeed Apostles.
    Based upon that, one can conclude that if indeed a linear succession from the Apostles actually existed based upon the laying on of hands, it was not authorative or the Apostles would not have to be tested.
    You would also agree that nothing in the Didache indicates that a person can only lead the proceedings if they have had hands laid on them by someone who had hands laid on them etc?

As far as your verses about Paul, while you agree that Paul was an Apostle, you would also, I hope, agree that Paul did not have hands laid on him by another apostle, but a person who is described as a "disciple".
    I would like to proceed further but I am not sure specifically what you are defending in terms of AS.
    Thanks

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Brian, and welcome to the Board!

You are correct that I do set great store by AS. I also agree with you that the Didache does not, at first glance, support AS ( I presume you are referring in particular to v15: "Appoint for yourselves Bishops and Deacons...")? A couple of points to make there: firstly, I would distinguish between 'appointment/approbation' and 'ordination/consecration'; the former is a matter of church government, the latter one of ontological change. To put some flesh on those bones, even today (in theory) a Bishop has to be approved by his diocese (in the Greek Orthodox Church, for example, the cry of 'axios' or 'anaxios' (worthy or unworthy) is the traditional method of so doing).

Secondly, the Didache is only one of many patristic writings (this brings me back to my OP point: that whilst individual texts may disagree with each other from time to time, to the extent to which they agree, they carry the weight of the consensus patri); if you compare it in particular with I Clement (to which I believe you made reference above), then this more or less contemporary document does support AS - see in particular I Clement 42:44: "So, preaching everywhere...they [the Apostles] appointed their firstfruits, when they had proved them by the Spirit, to be Bishops and Deacons unto them that should believe..."etc.

WRT Paul, I wouldn't view Ananias' prayer as being anything approaching presbyteral ordination still less episcopal consecration but rather part of Paul's conversion. All the Apostles including Paul were appointed and consecrated directly by Christ, not by their peers.

9. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Hi Brian

Thanks again for your thoughtful reponse, which has made me think. You raise a number of points and I will endeavour to deal with them.

On the issue of 'approval' -v- 'consecration' in AS, I think Hippolytus' Apostolic Tradition is particularly useful (italics mine):

Re the Didache calling for the apostles and prophets to be 'tested', I would read this as a reference to those who are masquerading as apostles and prophets; if you look at the tests laid down, they have to do with the extent to which the visitor is freeloading off the congregation (cp modern televangelists); I wouldn't view this as negativing the authority of the genuine apostles and bishops, the Real McCoy as it were, in any way.

You then move onto the question of the development of the episcopal office. Your view - if I have it right - is I believe similar to that of Gibbon, which I managed to locate over the w'end (the conversation in our house went something like this: "Darling, have you seen my Gibbon? It's supposed to be up here on the shelf." "No, what on earth are you on about?" "Someone's moved my Gibbon....Ah, here it is."); in ch 15 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire he sketches his view of the gradual centralisation of ecclesaistical government over the first few centuries of the Church. It has to be said, however, that Gibbon subscribed to what is commonly called the 'Whig view of Church history', where any concentration of ecclesial power is viewed negatively as a kind of proto-Roman Catholicism; thus he criticises his High Church Tory contemporaries. He is also candid about drawing a lot of his material for that chapter from Mosheim, whose historical credentials I would regard as being somewhat suspect. Don't forget that this Whig view of history has as its extreme 'provisional' wing (to borrow a term from the IRA over here) the likes of Carroll's Trail of Blood and Broadbent's The Pilgrim Church, and has the tendency IMO to make a mockery of Christ's claims referenced in my OP about building His Church and sending the HS to guide the Apostles into all truth (Carroll is at least honest about that, although that honesty leads him to propose an 'alternative Apostolic Succession' of Novatians, Paulicians, Bogamils, Waldensians, Cathars etc which is largely without historical merit; he also borrows heavily from Mosheim).

That said, the Whig view on the point of the development of monarchical episcopacy does have some merit in that I think most if not all scholars are united in saying that there was a development of this concept and practice in the first couple of centuries of the Church. The fact that there was that development, particularly in understanding, however does not IMO illegitimate that. Returning to my OP, the Church had to 'fill in the gaps' left by Scripture as it went along, remaining faithful to Scripture whilst so doing. Development only tended to happen when there was a problem or controversy to be addressed. Thus the Early Church made no ruling about whether rock music should be listened to by Christians, simply because it was a non-issue, in contrast to the big issue it seems to be today, to judge by the content of the Music Board here. But the point was that the Church did recognise - sometimes to a degree retrospectively with the benefit of hindsight - both episcopacy and AS, as its understanding of what had happened and was continuing to happen developed. Again, Hippolytus is a good example of that kind of retrospective recognition in the passage from AT quoted above, as is Tertullian, in The Crown of the Soldier:

There is also the point that the Early Church did practise both AS and episcopal government, even though its understanding of both may have taken some time to develop - see eg: Eusebius' Historia Ecclesiastica. This brings me to finally answering your question about my view of AS - put simply, I believe that there is an unbroken line of episcopacy in the Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and, to an extent, Lutheran Churches going back to the Apostles and Christ Himself which, for the first thousand years of Church history at least, guaranteed a sufficiency of indefectability through Scripture and Tradition in matters of faith and practice. The Apostles themselves, in contrast to their successors, were to a degree unique, in that their office was commissioned directly by the Risen Christ rather than fellow-bishops; there is of course an unrepeatability about that aspect.

#30 Matt Black, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One basic point:

The unbroken line of faith and practice to which you refer changes in every generation--it evolves, as some have alluded.

God does not change. Evolution is a man-made hoax which permeates his "religion of science" and his theology.

Jude 3 tells us "The faith" was once (for all) delivered unto the saints. One has a problem going through Rome for "The Faith" and the authority thereof--she never had it. She would never give it to anyone, even if she did. So now we are dealing with excommunicated regal rogues and defrocked romish priests, who claim the have the authority and the faith.

What's in your wallet?

Selah,

Bro. James

P. S.It is no wonder, Satan himself is become an angel of light.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm not sure how this contributes to the discussion. Do pray enlighten us.

13. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Other than wanting to know what's in your wallet...I'd have to agree with you Matt.

ICXC NIKA
    -

14. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

A very moderate, I do not know enough about Whigs, Federalists, Anti-Federalists or the Natural Law Party, to give a good analogy about what political spectrum your view falls in, view of Apostolic Succession.
    An unbroken line of episcopacy is very hard to support historically, but likewise it is hard to refute because of the lack of documentation that addresses it.
    We know that, for example, that Rome has contradicting lists about who served as the bishop in Rome.
    I will also point out that Tertullian, writing at the end of the 2nd century, has an interesting comment about this:

It is also interesting to me that you believe this indefectability lasted 1000 years, and I of course understand why. Were you a RC apologist, you would contend the "gates of hell" not conquering extends past that timeline.
    I also appreciate the irony of you using an "Antipope" to support the view of Apostolic Succession.
    Thank you for clarifying. I am sure we have much to discuss at a later date. We do have differing underlying presuppositions but I have engaged in this debate with the more rigid Orthodox and Catholic apologist. An Anglican is new territory.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I think you've got the wrong Eusebius as 'Antipope'; I'm talking about Eusebius of Caesarea rather than Eusebius of Nicomedia (who is more accurately termed an 'Antipatriarch').+

Re Whig, I'm using the British definition here rather than the American. Broadly speaking, two parties emerged in England after the 17th century civil war. One was the Tories, the party of King, Court and the Church of England; they supported episcopacy and the Anglican Prayer Book. The others were the Whigs, who were largely non-conformist* in origin. They favoured the Dissenters (in particular Presbyterians) and were in favour of a more parliamentary form of government (albeit an oligarchy rather than a true democracy). It was from this latter group that Edward Gibbon sprang.

*Or at least 'low-church Anglicans', feeling they had more in common with Calvinists on the continent than with their fellow-Anglicans in England. See here and here for more detail.

[+Actually, someone's kindly pointed out that you were of course referring to Hippolytus who did head up a separate congo at Rome and is therefore dubbed in some quarters as 'the first Antipope' - d'oh!; he's still regarded as a Saint, though]

#35 Matt Black, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  16. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

For clarity, those of our readers not familiar with the passeage, I thought I should include it. I do think the passage refers to real Apostles as well as fake. I think it is important to note that what is evaluated is their DOCTRINE. I, obviously, think that at a certain stage, depending upon the particular doctrine, the church did fall away from the teachings of the Apostles and Christ.
    I think it is important because I do not find the concept of Apostolic Succession usually defended by RC, EO, or OO apologists in the Bible or early Christian writings.
    The view of Apostolic Succession advocated by Mr. Black, while I disagree, has not produced the insistence about believing the Marian dogmas, Papcy, and others as being needed for salvation.

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The bit of the Didache to which I believe you refer is here:-

Like I said, I think the thrust is more to do with problems with freeloaders turning up and imposing themselves on congregations and/or demanding monetary support (cf "Put your hand on the screen and pledge now!").

Brian, I'm intrigued - if you do think that the Church fell away from sound teaching, how do you see that as fitting in with Jesus' promises as referred to in the OP?

18. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

I think the Apostles mentioned in the passage were Apostles. What is the key is whether or not they were "false prophets". I do not see anything in the context of the passage to suggest they were not Apostles.
    Please let me know what specific promise we are to address. Matthew 16:18?
    But let me follow up your last question, with some clarification. Are you contending that all of the groups you mentioned agree? If not, when did the various groups fall away from sound teaching? Do you contend that the Anglican Church is the church that has not fallen away?

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Brian, my original quote in the OP re the promises was here:
    Picking up on what you said earlier, why did you put a question mark over Ignatius of Antioch?

To try to answer your question re 'falling away', no, Anglicans, Catholics, Orthodoxen and Lutherans do not agree. I would date this divergence and falling away from the Great Schism of 1054; prior to that, as I've stated to Bob Ryan earlier, I believe that there was - and remains - a sufficient depositum fideii arising from the consensus patri to be an adequate paradigm in matters of faith, doctrine and practice. And, no, the Anglican Communion is no more the true inheritor of this than the others.

20. BRIANH

BRIANH Member

If one holds the view that view of Matthew 16:18, did the gates of hell prevail in 1054?

Phillip Schaff writes about the letters, of which a number of very good books exist in the topic: