1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture PRIOR to the Flood

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TurboMike, May 19, 2005.

1. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

We all know that Moses recorded the first five books of the Old Testament, but how did he know about creation, and all the things PRIOR to the flood? How was the story... or book of Job preserved?

I was teaching sunday school and was talking about the preservation of scripture and one of my students said, "If everything was destroyed by the flood, how were the writings of Job and other books pre-Moses preserved?"

The only thing I could say was that in that time, writtings were not dominate. Most facts of history were given verbally.

I just wasnt satisfied with my answer so I thought I'd ask here.

2. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

A clue can be found in Genesis 5:1-2; This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.

This is the book of the genealogy of Adam indicates that there is a good possibility that this is the end of Adam’s direct account, which was preserved and passed down to Moses who acted at editor.

The history of the heaven and earth are the things regarding the creation that no man witnessed and was therefore given by revelation to either Adam or Moses. This history ended at Genesis 2:4 and from there to Genesis 5:1 is Adam’s account.

I believe that these accounts were collected, either verbally or written and were taken onboard the Ark with Noah and eventually these made there way to Moses who complied them into the first five books of the OT.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A good book to read on that is Memory and Manuscript: Oral Tradition and Written Transmission in Rabbinic Judaism and Early Christianity : With Tradition and Transmission in Early Christianity (Biblical Resource Series) by Birger Gerhardsson, et al

It is probably the best book I have read outside of scripture.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The biblical answer is "inspiration." Men of old spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit (2 Tim 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21). Sometimes the simplest answer just gets overlooked.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend...

Deuteronomy 34:10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face.

HankD

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

And sometimes—for a very good reason!

[​IMG]

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I sometimes think that a lot of people have a totally incorrect view of mankind before the flood, picturing them as something like the imaginative drawings of the evolutionist's early man.

However, we should recall that if ever a perfect man existed, both physically and mentally, it was Adam. Scripture tells us that the lifespan of individual men was several hundred years pre flood. There is no reason to believe that mankind did not advance technologically during that period.

Therefore, it is very likely that Noah carried certain information aboard the arc. However, as for the creation account and all pre flood scripture I expect that was given to Moses directly by God.

That being said, does it really matter. Scripture tells us in 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[Some scientists believe that the destruction of the vapor barrier around the earth that ceased to exist post flood allowed cosmic radiation to reach the earth causing the shortened lifespan of mankind.]

8. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Some scientists believe that the destruction of the vapor barrier around the earth that ceased to exist post flood allowed cosmic radiation to reach the earth causing the shortened lifespan of mankind.]

No - scientists do not believe this.

This has been advanced as a theory in many apologetics books but is thoroughly unscientific.

9. Craigbythesea

Thank you for posting this fact. Christians need to know the truth.

[​IMG]

10. Craigbythesea

Here is a link to an article by Curt Sewell on the tablet theory of the authorship of Genesis,

http://www.ldolphin.org/tablethy.html

P.S. I posted this link in one other thread. If posting a link in two different threads constitutes a violation of the rules against cross posting, I apologize and ask that this post be deleted.

[​IMG]

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ante-deluvian section of the Torah (actually very small - Genesis 1-9) is set up in the flow of oral tradition.

Writing of history is of modern invention; even today, many cultures tell of their history in elaborately memorized verse/phrase that is passed down from generation to generation.

And Job? He was a contemporary of Abraham (circa 2150 BCE) and writing was available then. Entire libraries from Sumer and Chaldea that date from the time of Abraham-Jacob have been uncovered.

God MAY have chosen to just dictate facts to Moses. Or he may have guided the facts that were available so that Moses, under inspiration, wrote as he was so moved.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Charles Meadows :D

Your assertion can be easily refuted but is not worth any effort.
    By the way, who made you judge over who is or who is not a scientist? :D

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In answer to the original question, it was via oral tradition, which is still used in Jewish and Islamic circles today.

14. Craigbythesea

OldRegular wrote,

As a scientist I have always found it rather difficult to refute incontrovertible facts. If you are truly able to do the impossible, please give us a demonstration.

You wrote,

Therefore, you also have made the judgment as to who is a scientist, and in making your statement, you posted fictitious information. Shame on you! This is a CHRISTIAN message board!

15. Charles Meadows

Oldreg,

Anyone espousing the "water canopy" theory does so because he/she has already decided that Genesis 1-11 is literal and he/she needs to somehow show that could be possible. This individual has already reached a conclusion before doing the research. This "theory" is, as such, born completely out of a need to prove something - not out of any actual feasiblity, let alone likelihood, for such a thing.

As I've said before - If you believe Genesis 1-11 is literal - FINE! I have no problem with that.

Just don't come up with intellectually DISHONEST "proofs" or theories that are laughable to anyone with expertise in scientific study - and then expect everyone to believe them!!

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed this part; please show me these statements! Thanks.

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: Thankfully,God by His Spirit gave me faith to believe that ALL of the Bible is true all the way from Genesis 1:1 to its conclusion at Revelation 22:21.I don't have to question it,prove it(that's the Holy Spirit's job),or correct it,though I might have to ocassionally defend it.The account of creation is LITERALLY true...no evolution(theistic or otherwise)no myths,no questions.God SPOKE,God BREATHED and IT HAPPENED...PERIOD!Anything else just makes God out to be a liar and that just "ain't so".I'll bet the devil dances with glee everytime he gets some poor deluded soul corrupted into accepting that kind of foolishness.There are some things I'm more than happy to wait til my entrance into heaven to get the "details" on.For now...I'm just blessed and happy that God,in His mercy looked down on me and loved me enough to give His own Son to pay for my sins and give me a home in His heaven.Praise Him for the Book,the Blood,and the Blessed Hope!By the way....the GENESIS account of creation IS LITERALLY TRUE.His Spirit "beareth witness" with my spirit that this IS TRUE.That's all I need.Most of the time(if not all)simple faith is far better than all this "education"(which won't SAVE anybody)!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

18. Charles Meadows

Just don't come up with intellectually DISHONEST "proofs" or theories ---

Examples?

Water canopy.

Carbon 14 being false.

Evolution being completely without scientific evidence.

I agree with Gregory Perry's statement:

I don't have to question it,prove it(that's the Holy Spirit's job),or correct it,though I might have to ocassionally defend it.

There is nothing wrong with this view.

Science will never 100% prove evolution or anything of the like. So if you want to believe in a literal Genesis out of respect for the Bible - then great!

But what I cannot stomach is the arguments of those who insist that science says what it does not say.

Science supports an old earth.

You don't have to like it.

You don't have to believe it.

But we should not resort to half-truths just to cast doubt on the "evolution thing".

Where are the "half-truths"?

Pick up any Ankerberg, Faid, Hunt, or McDowell book on apologetics.

I have no problem admitting that today's science (and thus some of my opinions) could be completely wrong. But I'm going to be honest about reporting what the science says.

19. icthus

icthus New Member

AMEN, brother Gregory, Preach it!

Anyone who contradicts any portion of the Holy Bible is doing the work of the devil. As you say, everything from Genesis 1:1 thru Revelation 22:20, is indeed the Infallable, Inerrant Word of Almighty God! But, there are some on this board, who will put themselves as an high authority as God Himself, who are not contect with the Truth as recorded in Scripture, but, are prepared to do the work of the deceiver, and ask the same question as he did in Genesis 3:1, " hath God said? . They are not satisfied with the testimony or authority of the Word of God, but, will argue with God, and assume that they know better, because they are doctor's of science!

We have to accecpt through faith, that everything that we read in SCripture is indeed the Holy Word of God Who alone is Perfect, and therefore cannot give us anything that is error. As Jesus Himself says, that the Holy Spirit will bring all things to your remembrance (John 14:26), so it is when we read of events in Scripture, like the Creation and the Flood, and the burial of Moses, etc, that God the Holy Spirit revealed these Truths to be recorded.

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Larry!!! You have made my day!!!! God bless your stand---as you stand next to me!!! I suppose, though that the vast majority who question the inspiration would have made "bad Aaron and Hur's"----their spiritual hands are so feeble they can't lift them up---much less try to lift up Moses'!!!!

Bro. David