1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture question please

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MrCorey, Oct 18, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no, no, no !!!

You're wrong !!!

(There. Got back at ya on your Star Wars thing. :laugh: )

2. MrCorey

MrCorey Member

Ok, thank you RB;

This is great. I think I just have one more question then. But please know this, I am going to read & re-read this thread several times. So what you're saying isn't going to go to waste.

Ok, so then, when Paul says that he is the worse sinner of all, is it normal to feel a worse sinner the longer you've been a Christian? Or does that mean something is wrong? Even if you know you are not blantently living in sin. I realize we all sin, I'm not saying being sinless, I'm just saying like I don't know just some kind of sin you grow comfortable with or whatever.

I mean, is it possible that the devil is whispering in your ear trying to cause you to doubt your salvation? Or at least, question it? Is that normal, or is something wrong?

1Ti 1:15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: Cute...

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Nice way to just say something without explaination. I see it as nothing more than trying to disuade someone from a clear conclusion they have drawn from the text itself. Tisk tisk.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There has been enough explanation on those three chapters in the time I've been here. We have a search function...as well as PM where I would be glad to supply him with resources if needed. Only a hermeunetical butchering allows it to be about individual salvation.

6. ReformedBaptist

I think Paul can make the statement he made but was not in doubt of his salvation at all. He viewed himself the worst of sinners because he perscuted unto death the believers in Jesus. And why did God do this with Paul?

"Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting." v. 16

Same reason God elects anyone and saves them. To show forth His glory and grace.

Sometimes I believe I am the foremose of all sinners saved because I have benefitted by God from so much light and knowledge in Him, yet I don't live up to the light and knowledge I have been given. But I know I am justified and declared righteous before God apart from deeds because my justification isn't based on my righteous deeds, but Christ's righteousness given to me (accounted to me) as a free gift of His grace on the basis of faith alone.

Most often when people are first born again they struggle with assurance. I did. Re-read the 2 Peter verses and put them into practice. And read 1 John several times. Even if our hearts condemn us God is greater than our hearts. Even if we are unfaithful, He remains faithful. He cannot deny Himself.

Our salvation is IN CHRIST not in us. If we have been saved in Christ it is because we have entered into a covenant wtih God through the blood of Jesus Christ. That covenant is unbreakable.

7. ReformedBaptist

Sure....and I can supply sources that refute your sources, et et et ad nausium.

8. BrotherJames

BrotherJames New Member

:tonofbricks: Edit Ccc___ccc

9. MrCorey

MrCorey Member

Ok RB;

Thank you very much! I think for now you've given me plenty to work with. I really appreciate it. I may come back with more questions but for now I want to work on what you told me. Ok.

Blessings;
    corey

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So true, Sister Amy!!!

Ephesians tells us that it is because of God's mercy and great love that we are quickened

Jacob robbed his family---his brother, his daddy, his father in law --- he was the Jesse James of the Bible ---- yet Jacob repented of sins and God threw His great grace on him----Esau would have had the same but there was no repentance---conviction but no conversion!!!

11. BrotherJames

BrotherJames New Member

great, even the mod is blind.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God HATES Sin....I think not

How does a person know if God hates them or if He loves them?

In other words, Did Esau know God hated him?

Thank you for any help and if I'm in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

corey[/QUOTE]

I found Corey's question to be so open and honest. It shows that Corey is like each of us, dearly wanting to make God happy, and worried sick when we don't. His question is one that I pondered many times too, a question that would take me out of my walk to glory, unnecessarily, and paralyzed my faith. However, many good teachings and great preaching has taught me the truth and I have since been able to move beyond the fear of being hated by God when I came to finally accept the truth that He don't hate His own.

We are adopted into the family of God. Bought with a price that humanity could never attach a price to. I find it hard to believe that the same God who welcomed me into His family could turn around and hate me?

God only hates sin, and that includes our sin. When I do sin, several times [or more] a day, I feel different levels of anger, or judgment and I know it's God getting on my case to make me turn from sin and return to Him.

Would God ever hate me....highly unlikely. We are His chosen. He may discipline us, and chastise us as needed, but, HATE, never. That hate was taken on the cross by Jesus. I know God is truly disappointed in our action and maybe Corey is confusing that disappointment with hate. But I can assure you Corey, that God could never hate His own; and we are definitely, without a trace of doubt, His very own thanks to our Lord's sacrifice on the cross.

I just want to weigh in on this subject, even though many of you gave great answers. I wanted to share how I once felt as Corey, tremendously concerned about God "hating" for my failures to live up to the standard He has set. However, that is what makes His love for us UNCONCDITIONAL....He knew that none of us would be perfect, and He stands ready to forgive us when we fall.

But...hat us. God forbid!!! His hate was removed when we came to Jesus as sinners in need of a Savior. And the sins we commit in our walk are expected, because each fall from grace is a lesson learned. A lesson that teaches us that we are not perfect, just forgiven. I love this confidence, and if I believe I'm eternally saved, than I must also believe that God could never hate me, just disappointed at times.

Justis

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Huh? What are you talking about?

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Where does any Scripture ever say that Jacob repented of any sins? :BangHead: :BangHead:

And you have eisegeted the Scripture about Esau into something Scripture does not even come close to saying, here. Check out the repentance thread currently running at full speed.
    [​IMG]

However, you are absolutely correct that Jacob was the biggest crook, thief, and con artist found in the history of Scripture.

Ed