1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture says a woman should not be president

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Nov 5, 2007.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the prophetess Huldah?

2 Chronicles 34:
    22 And Hilkiah, and they that the king had appointed, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college and they spake to her to that effect.
    23 And she answered them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Tell ye the man that sent you to me,
    24 Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the curses that are written in the book which they have read before the king of Judah:
    25 Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be poured out upon this place, and shall not be quenched.​

Sounds authoritative to me.
    If the men won't rule then the women do what they must and apparently God put His stamp of approval on that (at least in Huldah's case).​

HankD​

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deborah and other prophetesses have been discussed in previous posts.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Only "legitimate governments"? Who is to define "legitimate governments"? You? I hope not. Was the reign of terror unleased by Nero in the time of Peter a "legitimate" government? It was in Nero's time that Paul wrote those words under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Nero's government was no different than any Islamic government than today. Are they "legitimate governments," seeing that many of them are dicatorships? We (if living in one of those nations) are to be subject to the higher powers, i.e., obeying their laws. Christians all over the world find themselves in such situations.

God ordains governments--dicatorships, Islamic governments, Hindu governments, etc. They are all ordained of God.
    And if they are not? They will eventually give account to God, perhaps not in this life, but eventually. It was Herod that gave an oration, without giving God the glory, and God killed him. But God doesn't pronounce such judgement on a regular basis. Even if the the magistrates are not subject to the "highest power" they are still ordained of God as the government that God chose.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God.
    No. Paul said rulers are not a terror to good works. Where rulers exercise terrorism toward Christians, they are not legitimate rulers.
    And the Holy Spirit disqualified Nero.
    Agreed.
    No, and our nation should work to topple those governments.
    And yet they live in disobedience to those governments daily by worshipping Christ and spreading the Gospel.

That's the common take on Romans 13, but it's obviously the erroneous one as seen by your above conclusions.

When rulers become destructive toward the ends of liberty and justice, then it is the right and duty of the governed to overthrow them in favor of others.
    When their cup of iniquity is full, He does so without fail. What government today exists as it did even 300 years ago? I doubt America has another 50 years without a reformation.

Scripture?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

We're not gonna agree on this one. I think you're stretching it beyond what it is saying.

:wavey:

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So every soul is NOT subject to the higher power? Didn't you just post above that we ought to obey God rather than man. God said the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is the man. This isn't simply in the church, this is evident by nature, and Paul appealed to nature to justify his argument, 1 Cor. 11).

So, yes, the Scriptures speak very clearly to governments and the proper execution of magisterial offices.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So?

That doesn't answer the following question...

Why did God allow Huldah to speak in His name ("Thus saith the Lord...") directly to the King of Judah thereby exercising authority over him?

HankD

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I suppose that the Holy Spirit disqualified Paul in your opinion, or do you argue with him who wrote those words under Nero's reign of terror. Paul said explicitly for those citizens to obey that government. Peter writing in the same time period gave the same instructions to believers that he was writing to in his first epistle. Are these epistles not inspired of the Holy Spirit?

Paul also wrote for slaves to obey their masters. Slavery was fully operative in that day. He even directed a runaway slave to go back and submit to his master whatever punishment would be meted out by him. The story is in Philemon. Philemon was not bound to take Paul's advice. He could have put Onesimus to death for the crime of theft that he had committed. After all he was only a slave. Paul never spoke against the institution of slavery.

He also never spoke against any form of government. He was not pro-democracy. He lived under a dictatorship and never spoke against, only advised others how to live under the same.
    Much of Israel's history was lived under the form of a monarcy, and many of those monarchs were just like dictators. But it was God that put them there.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same reason He gave NT women the gift of prophecy, yet denied them the right to speak in the church.

Was Huldah qualified to serve as a priestess?

Any woman may know the Scriptures as well as any man, but that doesn't change the universal, non-optional principal that the head of the woman is the man.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I understand him properly.

Only at those points where the rulers are not terrorists. Did Corrie ten Boom do right or wrong to disobey her government? What of Rahab the Harlot? Or the Egyptian midwives who feared God more than Pharoah?

See above.

If Onesimus had flown for fear of injury or his life, he would not have been compelled to go back. But Onesimus was a thief. He had stolen from his benevolent master and was a fugitive of justice.

You need to reread the history. Isreal put itself under a monarchy because they wanted to be like the other nations. God honored their request and warned them of the injustices they would voluntarily suffer.

In that act, they rejected God as their king.

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Someone asked who defines legitimate government. In this country, it is "We the People".

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read 1Peter. They were to obey the government in spite of the terror. We are not speaking of Bible readings here. We are speaking of the law in general--so no more red herrings. I think we both believe in the same principle "We ought to obey God rather than man" when it is in its proper context. Not everything we do is of a Biblical nature. Christians all over this world live in nations that have dictators, tyrants, etc. The Bible never gave the USA the mandate of being the policeman of the world and dictate the internal affairs of all nations that don't have governments that meet their standard of "democracy." That in itself is not Biblical. It is God that sets up governments and it is God that brings them down.
    I know the history quite well. God is a merciful God. They may have rejected God but God did not reject them. They were still the people of God--God's chosen people. Out of those kings came David, a man after God's own heart, on whose throne the Messiah would eventually sit.
    But one of those kings would be Ahab, the most wicked king that ever lived. And Manasseh, an evil tyrant that did some of the most horrible acts recorded in history.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It ought to be "We the trinity."
    Government is a God-ordained institution.
    "We the people" get what they deserve.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we're getting off topic here. No matter your view, it can't be denied that the Scriptures speak to every man, kings and all those in authority. If they didn't, then governments would be unaccountable.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, you are still evading my question.

The fact is that God did allow Huldah to have authority over the King of Judah.

Why? Because He is God and does whatsoever He pleases.

While it is true that it is both a spiritual as well as a natural precept that men are dominant over women, in this case the king of Judah apparently was a wimp along with his fellow wimp subjects, so (or so it seems), God allowed Huldah to be a prophetess exercising authority over Judah to fill the gap and to shame them who should have been ruling.

He has been known to make exceptions to His own rules when it serves His own purposes.

Psalm 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

HankD​

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

1 Cor 11 is in a context of worship, not politics.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think they need to learn the bible and stop twisting it to say what they want.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The title of this thread is:
    Scripture says a woman should not be president

What does it say about "Prime-minister"? Will Benazir Bhutto make a good Prime-minister of Pakistan, being both a woman and a Muslim at the same time? Pakistan is the second largest Islamic nation in the world.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right, but you're missing the fact that Paul said the natural, created order of things is to be maintained in the church as well as outside.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree 100%. Not to speak of Thatcher of the UK, heads and shoulders above our last three Presidents, Golda Mier of Israel, and lots of other examples.

The title of the thread is quite ignorant.