1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture Speaks: Voting for “The Lesser of Two Evils”

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...1. Should the tribal elders (Israel’s electoral college) have voted for Absolom the usurper — who was undeniably taking better care of the interests of the people than the King — or should they have voted for David, the adulterous murderer who had cast out Absolom for rendering the justice to Amnon which his father the King would not?

==> NOTA BENE: the modern “perfectionist” position would be to sit out this election, OR to find a third candidate; but this was NOT God’s position.

2. Should the tribal elders have backed Adonijah, the rightful heir by line of descent and rank in the succession, and whom we are told was never once rebuked by the King; or should they have backed Solomon, born of adultery and far, far down the line of succession, simply because a bunch of insiders wanted it that way?

==> AGAIN: the modern “perfectionist” position would almost have to select Adonijah. God chose Solomon.

3. As I mentioned previously, should the tribal elders have selected the idolater Jeroboam, or the tyrant Rehoboam? And was “sitting out” this election a valid option? (Obvious answer: no.)

Now in the first two examples, there’s an actual question, and if you think about it, had you been on the ground, lacking the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and any direct revelation from a prophet, you are lying to yourself if you claim you would have known with certainty the right thing to do. The second case is especially difficult since it involves no overthrow of the King, and since the King had not given any reason for any of the public to believe he was establishing an unorthodox succession (one which most of us, absent special revelation, would denounce as illegitimate).

This is actually the whole point of those examples: that those claiming “one must never vote for Romney” frankly are ignoring the testimony of Scripture, because the Scripture is pretty clear that God comes out of left field on this sort of thing a lot more often than we’d like to think, in the pursuit of a much bigger plan than we easily perceive. ...

http://www.rodmartin.org/scripture-speaks-voting-for-the-lesser-of-two-evils/

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

At 2am, in my pre-caffe'd state, it makes sense. Methinks you have a point.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Despite differences on other subjects, this is really a great illustration from Scripture about the dilemma in this election. Thanks for bringing it up. Really, I think everyone of us from one degree to another have struggled with a Romney vote. This puts things in a better light. Again, appreciate the post.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perhaps the better question is "was Absalom following the same God as King David"?

Now the folks back then who were more concerned about their pocketbooks, future investments, and retirement funds probably would have sided with Absalom not knowing/or possibly knowing he didn't serve their God. King David followed God even if his actions didn't always show it.

Yes, God appointed the man who was following Him.

Sounds like a lot of conjecture and that you're comparing apples to oranges. There are Christians who are looking for a candidate who promotes Christian values with the number one value being following Jesus Christ FIRST ( and that has nothing to do with looking for a perfect candidate. That doesn't take a back seat to abortion and same sex anything.

Why was sitting it out or selecting a third person not an option? What do you Biblically have to show that it was or was not an option?

That's another assumption about what would have been done. Why not look at the life and see who was following God?

Completely apples and oranges as God has never BIBLICALLY come out of left field and told those who follow Him to support that which does not support Him.

And I was wondering how long it would take to get to this point. The point of using Scripture to justify this wickedness in the EXACT same manner as homosexuals try to twist Scripture to justify their wickedness.[​IMG]

5. Ed B

Ed B Member

Very good post. I appreciate the examples from scripture and while I am not approaching this from a "perfectionist" standpoint, I very much appreciate your comments following the biblical examples. I have not totally rules out voting for Romney; I have simply been expressing my concerns with a Romney vote. I ruled out voting for President Obama more than four years ago and that hasn't changed.

I am going to earnestly pray about this. Your last sentence is in line with what has caused me to reconsider the viability of voting for Romney, though I have not been able to express it in my mind or in words as well as you did.

#5 Ed B, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012