1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scriptures calvinists must deal with...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alive in Christ, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, that's exactly it. It shocks me to hear that because I just can't even begin to fathom that thinking.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They are deceived as the rich man was. He lived in the lap of luxury and was very happy. He ignored God and chose his riches instead, but I don't believe you can conclude he went to hell "happily." That's a bit of a stretch. No, he awoke in hell "being tormented in this flame, and desired Lazarus that he would dip his finger in water and cool the tip of his tongue." Then he wanted Lazarus to go to his five brothers, lest they also come to this place.
    No, he wasn't happy about it at all. He was deceived. He did not make a conscientious decision of "happily" rejecting Christ and clinging to his riches on the basis of knowing the reality of hell. Had you asked him when he was in hell if he would happily make the same decision again, would he give you the same answer. No, he was deceived.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was also deceived; maybe didn't even believe in the reality of hell. He was mocking you wasn't he? How can you take a deceived person's words seriously?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't go to hell....says in scriptures the Lord loved him. He just lived his life in loneliness

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told you, he is my cousin & I know him. Up until recently, Ive also been him.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. (Luke 16:23)

Don't know what you are talking about.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im talkin bout the rich young man.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I never referred to the "rich young man."
    I started talking about "They are deceived as the rich man was."
    And proceeded to quote from Luke 16.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    pardon me.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast, you posted...

On that point we agree, brother!

AiC

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to say a big AMEN to that.

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason for wanting free will is man does not trust God to save him, therefore he wants to be able to choose God. That to him is his assurance he is saved. After all by his faith he believed.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. (John 10:9)
    Yes.
    It is the individual that chooses whether or not to enter the door. By making that decision he shall be saved, and then shall find pasture. Salvation occurs at the time you enter the door. It is by faith and only by faith (albeit we don't exclude the grace of God).

14. Alive in Christ

Percho....

Its not a question of "wanting" free will. We simply HAVE free will. I can post on this website, or not. I can buy a new car, or keep the one I have a little longer. I can ask a woman to marry me, or not. I can go and fix myself a ham sandwich, or not.

And I can place my faith in Christ, or not.

Actually, there is no other way to be saved, then to trust Christ for salvation.

Because THAT IS THE GOSPLE OF JESUS CHRIST! Its the only way that anyone can be saved.

I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but you are coming across rather "smartalicy", as if you are are mocking the gosple.

The gosple, justification by faith alone, is the only way anyone can be saved.

AiC

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well...that is a start:laugh:...lets see if we can get some momentum going.

One thing I try to keep in mind...all who name the name of Christ are to serve Him....at whatever level or whatever vocation we are in.

I have opposed you and several others in here, but my desire is to provoke you to study to show your self approved,a workman that needeth not to be ashamed. We are all still learning.

One puritan wrote: if you cannot love a brother for who he is now, love him for who he will be in that day, because that is how Jesus loves Him.:wavey:

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well come on WD....stop being lazy...2pet3 what is Peter speaking about?

I posted it is a contrast, which you seem to think is not correct? What was wrong with that Post...in your estimation?

:laugh:

Good one WD.Do you expect I would say WD you are right...if I do not agree with you? Does that make sense?
    Sometimes I agree with what you post, but usually it is not in these areas of study.

Only if you can offer scriptural correction...I would welcome that rather than philosophical dead ends....so have at it,show how what I said about 2pet 3 is partly correct, totally correct. totally incorrect in your mind.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

Well for sure we do not agree when you say this;
    The God I worship is described this way;
    DHK....Every detail of Gods will is accomplished everyday.

here is a lengthy section[from the 1689 confession] on providence that might help you with this, then I will address 1tim2

18. Alive in Christ

Well, thank you for sharing with everyone with such a grace filled post.

After I was born again, and I experienced christian fellowship for the 1st time, I very quickly discovered that I had entered a community that is filled with a completly different "breed" of people than exists in the lost world.

I share your sentiments. Although we on this forum site disagree with each other many times, we are still "family"...and that makes a such a difference.

Iconoclast is not my enemy...he is my brother.

We are all brothers and sisters. And its so nice when we treat each other that way.

AiC

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    dhk
    I posted this earlier but will re-use it now;
    [QUOTEQuote:
    1 Tim 2:4... who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Are all men going to be saved? Is thay what is being taught?Does the context suggest what men are meant by all?Does God want all men without exception to be saved?

or what does verse1 and 2,and three say?

Quote:
    1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. The all men who they pray for, are kings and all that are in authority. That is the all the passage is speaking of.....all kinds of men in authority,,,so that believers can live a quiet and peaceable life. Do you see this DHK?][/QUOTE]

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC,
    We have real enemies....the world, the flesh, and the devil.
    There are cults,and world religions.
    Iron sharpens Iron....
    17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

I try to understand other views as accuratly as possible, then be able to say why I hold one or the other.
    In other words...we have to try and follow where someone has gone to see where they have gone wrong....according to scripture.This in part should be what happens here. Sometimes the results and the conflicting ideas can be rough:( but other times it can change a persons total worldview.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.