1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA "failed" Prophesy

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Sep 22, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent point Dallas!

#1.

The REAL debate is over the spiritual gifts of 1Cor 12 and 14 and what happened to them.

#2.
    And as I already pointed out - EVEN IF you could agree on that and MOVE on to evaluating a specific individual - the NEXT test is that each prophet's message must agree with God's Word. So THAT means that EVERY prophet that is not of your denomination - who is given divine messages on points where the denominations differ with each other - MUST be considered a false prophet by those not of that prophet's denomination.

#3. IF both of those basic hurdles were crossed successfully THEN we could have a discussion like this one (having already demonstrated the ability to investigate and test with the Word of God as the authority) to select something like "the Soon Coming of Christ" to see if teaching such a thing violated scripture. Or to test the message of prophets like Moses who then lead the people into the wilderness for 40 years due to the conditional nature of predictive prophecy in certain cases. (As God points out in the OT).

But alas - these are "details" specific to this topic. And our RC bretheren have not been "stellar" on the idea "details" so far.

In Christ,

Bob

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

No, that is not the question here.

In as much as I started this thread, the question concerns a specific vision of Ellen White.

Although I can understand why you would like to change the subject at this point. [​IMG]

We don't need to even go there. For purposes of this thread, I will concede whatever is necessary for you to explain her failed vision, short of "it meant something other than what she actually said". [​IMG]

Then let us look at that.

In none of the other Scriptures that you use as an excuse for your cult's prophetess's failed prediction do we see the Scripture writer claiming to have a specific vision giving them secret information.

Your Ms. White claimed to have had such a vision.

Please, from Scripture, offer us an example of a claim to a vision which failed to come to pass, as is the case with your prophetess.

3. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Mrs. White should have married Joseph Smith!

4. trying2understand

I've seen pictures of her. I doubt that Mr. Smith would have been too taken with the idea. :D

5. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

SDA's make Ms. White the fourth person of the Trinity. :D

Man it was fun to make that accusation. Of course it doesn't stand any more than a similar accusation they make against us. [​IMG]

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is the salient issue here - particularly for those entering here that do not accept the ongoing ministry of the spiritual gifts listed in 1Cor 12.

Details details - you needed to get one.

But I can see why you needed to ignore the details - it helps you pretend not to notice the answer already posted 4 times.

And once "again" you simply dump sripture into the trash saying "oh well -- whatever! now lets get rid of the bible". My point is that having failed to use the Bible correctly to this point - you have no hope of receiving the Bible's own answer to conditional prophecy as witnessed by Jeremiah 18, and by Moses in his statements about Caanan.

You have no hope of evaluating the statement of Paul in 1Thess 4 and learning about spiritual gifts from a purely biblical perspective.

You set yourself up for turning a blind eye to the answers found in scripture and then say "yes but can we get on with the discussion on spiritual gifts and Ellen White".

Your Catholicism has not served you well.

Paul was writing by inspiritation as HE says says "ALL scripture is given by INSPIRAITION".

In 1Thess 2 Paul claims that what he wrote was from God.

In 1Thess 4 He DOES NOT tell of yesterday's news - RATHER He informs of believers in Thessolanica of things they did not know - about the rapture, the appearing of Christ, the rising up in the air to meet Christ, the fact that the living are translated but that the DEAD in Christ rise FIRST.

ALL this was news to the readers.

And then Paul says "WE WHO ARE ALIVE and REMAIN will be caught up together with THEM in the AIR to meet the Lord in the air".

A more - special, specific, prophetic, predictive, revelatory prediction can not be found in all of scripture.

But as pointed out - some prophecies are conditional (as we see in the principle God lays out in Jeremiah 18). So Moses' claims made to Israel in Egypt were not claims that "they should all go die in the wilderness). Rather, he promised them the land of Caanan and well they would have received it - if they had not turned a blind eye to it.

In Christ,

Bob

7. trying2understand

So, Bob, is it your position that "inspired" and having "vivions" are the same thing?

If not, then you need to explain why your Ms. White had visions that Paul and Moses did not.

What is the effect of "visions" on the import or validity of the message.

Let us not forget that Ms. Whites "visions" are intimately tied to the proof of the "inspiration" of her writings.

In other words, without her "visions" she would probably have been considered by your cult to have been no more inspired than your words are considered to be by readers here. [​IMG]

8. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

9. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Maybe, Mrs. White needed to lay off of Doctor Wizbang's Kickapoojoy Elixir of Health.

10. trying2understand

Bumped for Bob.

Bob, is it more difficult for you to answer questions about the SDA, than it is to attack others?

11. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

It's always easier to see the thorn in someone else's eye....

12. trying2understand

Bumped for Bob.

Bob, is it more difficult for you to answer questions about the SDA, than it is to attack others?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bumped again for Bob.

Bob, on another thread you posted this:

"In Numbers 12 God describes the ministry of a prophet - and exactly how they receive messages "IF there is a prophet among you, I will speak to them in a dream or a vision"."

Paul did not tell us that he had a vision when he talked about Jesus coming again as Ms White did.

You cannot compare the two, so your arguement fails.

So again, who was present at the Conference 150 years ago that will be subject to the last plagues?

13. Jar

Jar New Member

Where does the Bible say that women shouldn't lead men? And where does it say that prophesy ended with Revelation?

Has God suddenly gotten rid of one of the gifts He gives freely? And have we forgotten the women that led men in the Bible? (ie Deborah OT and Phillips daughters (4 of them) NT that all were prophetess') Im sure that many men were chasened in thier hearts after hearing what should have been coming from thier lips had they but put there trust in God.

If women didn't lead in the church in some places the gospel wouldn't be spred. Check out the churches in China some time.

Now this is not to credit or deny what Bob has been writing but please don't deny that God still sits on His throne and may raise up the very stones to speak if He needs to further His Truth.

Now to address this whole little debate that has this board filled with strong emotion. I believe with all my heart that this is not in line with Christianity. We should be loving one another not beating each other up with dogma. It is very difficult to be unbiased when you belong to a certain denomination and personally i think they should all be done away with. That is a strong statement that many of you probably will misunderstand so please let me clarify. We should all be getting together, reading the Word of God, Praying to Jesus furvantly for the Holy Spirit to be poured out. Tending to the poor, the widows, and the children giving them hope in our Lord Jesus.

All of us need to go to the Word of God to find out what is truth. If we but seek him with ALL our HEARTS we will indeed find Him. The joy that will fill us when we find Him...this cannot be expressed. Do not believe what everyone says is truth it may be a lie. For 2000 years people believed that a spider was an insect with 6 legs because Aristotle told them this was true...till someone decided to take a closer look. People search for yourselves and know what is truth. If a man or woman of God comes before you and they speak according to the Word of God. Believe on the Word of God but test the man or woman for you will know them by the works of thier hands (fruits).

With all my love
    Jar