1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA's and the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have NO doubt SDAs have Jesus Christ as their MOTIVE for keeping the Sabbath Day. I say, that does not make Jesus Christ the REASON or the BASIS, or the CONTENT, or the ESSENCE of the Sabbath, nevertheless! Because, for as long as Jesus Christ in resurrection from the dead, in Triumph and Victory, is denied as being the very REASON and BASIS, CONTENT, and ESSENCE of the Sabbath Day, of its doctrine, of its keeping, of its very being, it is all and totally, Christ-less and all and totally, legalistic, and therefore, utterly, rejectable.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At least, from a Christian point of view.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a word, if Christ rose not from the dead on the Sabbath day, in vain do we honour God through it!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Claudia T:
    "How do you suppose that the Bible claims the following of these people?

Lk:1:6: And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless."

GE:
    How do I, GE, suppose or regard it? It comes to naught what I regard or suppose! You must see this text and pronouncement in context -- which is the context of faith in the promised Christ. These people believed the Redeemer of Israel had at last fulfilled the Promises of of old. That was the sole basis upon which they are here in Scripture regarded and supposed "both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." Can you suggest any other reason? I don't think.

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

you know what? You ASSUME we are blind to Christ, you SAY that, it doesnt make it so. we just are not sticking stuff in there that isnt there. The Bible says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Nobody here denies that, that I am aware of. Its like you just try to dream up stuff that isnt true.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

of course if Christ isnt risen then everything is in vain, but it isnt like you try to make it as if the Sabbbath and the resurrection doctrines are related. The Bible specifically connects the resurrection with baptism, not the sabbath

why dont you try and connect the resurrection with thou shalt not kill or with thou shalt not commit adultery? It just doesnt make sense and neither does it with the Sabbath.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is "kinda silly", about "picking something out of the Bible about Jesus like His birth and then claiming it relates to the Sabbath", dear Claudia? There may stick a lot more in this observation of yours than you might think! I cannot comment on it, even though I have had a good look at it specifically, but not conclusive.
    To be specific, I did investigate whether the Gospels may imply that Jesus was born on a Sabbath Day, but could not find express evidence, except that the nature of the event of Jesus' birth agrees with the finishing or fulfilling nature, with the blessing and sanctification of the Sabbath Day, -- like 'in the beginning', so 'in these last days', through the Son. No one could blame anyone for so believing. On the contrary, one who so might believe, should only be respected for it, not be thought of as silly. I could easily live with the idea; I cannot live with the idea that the Law is the sole reason for believing and keeping God's Sabbath Day.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One thing stands sure and fast: Great moments of redemption throughout the history of creation have been accompanied by divine revelation of God's Sabbath Day somehow. That leaves no doubt in my mind "CONCERNING THE DAY THE SABBATH GOD THUS SPAKE" (Hb4:4-5).

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Everything you say, may be correlated to the Sabbath Day. Now, it would be a rather fruitless endeavour to illustrate just how.

But let me say this, of course if Christ isnt risen then everything is in vain. But it is a much greater truth that God had "appointed a day in which" He would honour the Son more specifically. That day since the beginning had been chosen for just that purpose, even God's Sabbath Day. For NO other purpose God 'made' the Sabbath than "BECAUSE OF MAN" even this Man, the Antitype and Prototype of all men redeemed and saved through Him!
    (Every inch one contemplates God's Sabbath one is forced to relate it with Christ in His resurrection.)

The Sabbbath and the resurrection doctrines should be related, because the Sabbath and God's rest through Jesus Christ are related.

The Bible specifically connects the resurrection with baptism, it is true, but specifically and but once or twice in the writings of Paul. But of greater importance in these cases is the fact the 'baptism' spoken of, is Christ's own --- not ours! And it is a case of Christ's baptism through death and resurrection from the dead wherein His resurrection represents the finding of the mark, the reaching of the height of God's power - the point of rest.
    No wonder Paul DIRECTLY - yes indeed directly - relates and connects Jesus' baptism through death and resurrection, His and "triumph in it", with the Believers' "Sabbaths' feast" in Col2:12-17!

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Claudia T:
    "... scolding someone saying "oh you legalist, cannot you see that Jesus should be the foundation for everything?"

GE:
    Exactly!

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well talk about pulling what I said out of context LOL! I can see there is no reason for me to waste time talking to you anymore if this is how you operate

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When GE finally notices that Exodus 20:8-11 does NOT say "MANKIND fell and then God offerred up His only Son THEREFORE God blessed the Sabbath day AND MADE it holy" --

When GE finally admits that Gen 1-2:3 does NOT SHOW mankind being cast out on day 6 and "God calling it good"!!!

When GE finally admits the huge gap between "making stuff up" and actually reading it from the Bible - THEN what happens to GE's "Sabbath was givin IN SIN" myths?

I prefer exegesis and "paying attention to the details of the text" - not "Making stuff up" as GE does on this topic.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To reject the MAKER of the Sabbath - the one who MADE the Sabbath - Christ the Creator -- is the ONLY way to REMOVE God the Son FROM the Sabbath.

Your problem is that you INSERT SIN into the Sabbath and the FALL OF MANKIND into DAY SIX and your own bogus "Mankind fell then God gave Mankind Christ THEREFORE God BLESSED the SAbbath day and MADE it Holy" INTO the text!!

How much more bogus a premise could there possibly be for a doctrine??

I can't imagine it!

Then of course you love to imagine that all the "FIRST DAY" texts of the Gospels pointing to Christ's resurrection SHOULD have been saying "SABBATH" - hard to believe - but you seem to have no trouble at all "making stuff up"

In Christ,

Bob

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR:
    "what happens to GE's "Sabbath was givin IN SIN" myths?"

GE:
    Who 'gave the Sabbath'? He, God who never could be a sinner. I said and say, God gave the Sabbath in grace, through grace, for grace' sake. You make it I said "Sabbath was givin IN SIN". Shame on you.
    Adam was 'in sin' when God gave the Sabbath, "for the sake of man" - which is, for the sake of grace.

Your thinking on the Sabbath is so sterile and lifeless because your Church has taught you (through your medium and prophetess) the Sabbath is not symbolic or a type of Christ, and your Church is infallible (just like the Catholics claim). This lies at the bottom of your refusal of the Gospel in the Sabbath-Truth of God's own Word through and both the Scriptures and the Son.

Cheers on this theme, the second one tonight.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

"Adam was 'in sin' when God gave the Sabbath"??? How on earth could anybody claim that?

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you have to be very very accustomed to "making stuff up" to insert into Genesis 1 "God made man in his own image - then man sinned and God cast Him out of the Garden -- then God said IT IS GOOD". "Then God offerred Christ as Redeemer and THEREFORE He created the Sabbath day and made it Holy - as a sign - as a promise to fallen Adam of the future Redeemer"

Yet GE finds all the room in the world to "make up such stuff" and call it "true" just AS IF he had read it from scripture.

in Christ,

Bob

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "And God saw, all that He had made; and it was very good".
    This is the omnipresent omniscient Beginning and End of ALL the works of God, seen by the eye of God - not only His works of six days, but of eternity. Now I proclaim without least of fear, so help me God, that what was foremost in the mind of God while declaring, "all that He had made", was what He had since eternity and into eternity had worked and finished through and in and for the sake of, Jesus Christ Son of God, Son of Man, Lord of the Sabbath, Prince of Peace, EVERLASTING Father. Blasphemous? If in your ear, I don't care.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

and so, if this is true what you say, what is the end or point of it?

Claudia

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. In the Gospels when Christ said "It is finished" it is because He actuall "did something".

#2. Claiming to know what God was "thinking" in Gen 1-2:3 as an excuse to ignore HIM when HE SAys "and RESTED the Seventh day THEREFORE the Lord BLESSED the Sabbath and MADE it holy" -- is not exegesis. It is a pure form of eisegesis.

In Christ,

Bob

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let's lock this one up--30 pages, 299 posts, a limited umber of posters as of recently. I think the time has come.
    DHK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.