1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

search engines

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by donnA, Nov 17, 2002.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

How do you submit a site to search engines?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The easiest way is to find a site that will submit for you; usually these are "pay for it" sites that charge anywhere up to $1,000 depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

The harder way is to visit each site and manually do the submission.

As an example, using Yahoo! since it's a pretty popular search engine: Go to Yahoo and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a link for "How to Suggest a Site"; click on that, and start following directions. Yahoo! is actually somewhat complicated, so take it slow; you can always close out and come back later.

ON other sites, look for the "submit a site" link.

3. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

This is a topic that I find very interesting and one that I have preformed on a professional basis. I will give you some tips based on my experiance.

Don't pay anyone to submit your site. You can get the same thing for free. If you want to pay to have your site shown somewhere purchase banner adds.

Stay away from the "submit you site to 1000 search engines" type pages. All this will accomplish is opening your email address up for spammers.

Do it the hard way. Go to the major search engines(msn, yahoo, google, ect..) and submit your links manually.

Stay away from free programs that submit your site for you. If you want to use a program consider using Webposition Gold. Most others will hurt you more than help you. WebPosition Gold will help in the area of tracking you position in the major search engines.

Meta tags don't really help any more. I don't know of any sites that will acctually use them to rank your page. What will help is using html correctly. Using header tags to show your main points & sub-points will be picked up by the search engines. If you don't like the look that it leaves you with then concider using css to make the text smaller.

Find people that link to you and submit their sites or link back to them before you submit your pages.

Good luck,
    Jason