1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Searching for Peace.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by moscott, May 6, 2007.

1. moscott

moscott Member

For years I have often wondered how believers cope with the death of a loved one who wasn't saved or might not have been saved. The thought of NEVER seeing them again as well as them spending an ETERNITY suffering in Hell was incomprehensible to me.
    2 weeks ago my Father died suddenly. Coping with his death was difficult but God and prayers have pulled me thru this difficult time. I've come to grips with every part of his passing except for 1 lingering doubt-----that he might not be in Heaven. I'm sure it is the work of Satan, but my previous wonders have now come to fruition. The doubt of "maybe" never seeing him again or that he might spend an eternity in Hell is something I can't get past:BangHead: . When my Mother passed away my saving thought was whether it was 1 year or 30 years---I would see her again someday. Not having this same assurance with my Father's passing has been tearing me apart and I can't find peace. My question is how can I and others find peace in situations where a loved one dies who might not be in Heaven?

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I've had the same thoughts about my father. Grief comes in many forms. Lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. Holy Spirit, minister to him. No one else can comfort more.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm very sorry at your loss. Add to that the questions of salvation and it is even worse.

Did your dad ever make a profession of faith and show evidence of salvation?

Please know that as people read this they are also praying for God's grace and peace to wash over you.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Moscott:

Thank you for posting and sharing your grief with us. Know that many members of this board are praying for you. My prayer is that God will soon give you a peace in your mind over your father’s death and that also more long term your lingering doubts as to his eternal condition will make you a bold witness to others.

The bottom line is that neither you nor I are the judge over your father’s soul that is between him and God. Just because you did or did not see evidence of his salvation does not mean anything. We can look only on the outward appearance but God looks on the heart.

There is an old sermon illustration I have heard before about a boy who went off to sea and died in a shipwreck. His mother was distraught because the boy was lost and very immoral in his walk as a sailor. She grieved his death for years and then one day met a sailor who was with her boy and survived the shipwreck. He told her how clinging to the wreckage when all was lost her son had told him that although death was imminent that his mother had told him how through Christ we could have eternal life. Not only was her son saved, but in his last dying moments he had witnessed to a fellow sailor and led him to Christ. (I looked for this story online and could not find it, if anyone has a more detailed version please post it).

Moscott, you knew your father and perhaps you were there at his last moments, but you did not know all there was to know about him. You knew only in part where God knew him in whole, his heart and his entire life. There is no more you can do for your father but keep his memory alive and use it as a motivation to share Christ with someone else’s father.

5. moscott

moscott Member

[QUOTE

Did your dad ever make a profession of faith and show evidence of salvation?[/QUOTE]

Tough question to answer first hand. I did find 1 letter he wrote to his mom when he was 17(1948) while in the Navy stating "Mom I mean this as much as anything I have ever said. I gave my soul to God that night and such a relief came over me...nothing worries me anymore. I just say God will take care of it either way it is supposed to be." This is the 1 and only letter I have from him that he wrote---his sister gave it to me 2 years ago. My sister who is a nurse said that he accepted Jesus while in ICU and she is 100% sure he is in Heaven.

I guess my problem is not seeing anything first hand. My parents were divorced when I was 3, and I grew up with my mom. During those years I never saw examples of him walking with God. I was not born when he wrote that letter. I wasn't there when my sister says he accepted Jesus. In the later years when he was much older he had many good qualities but whenever religion was brought up he would simply say he had his own relationship with God. While I have no reason to believe that he isn't in Heaven, it is the fear that he "might" be in Hell that won't give me peace. I can't find anything in the scriptures that can help me or others that deal with the possibility of loved ones not being in Heaven. It is one of the most important things that I can think of and hard for me to believe that itreally isn't addressed anywhere in the Bible. That said however, I, others and even my Minister can't come up with anything to reassure these lingering doubts that Satan has planted:tear: .
    Make no mistake, I know God has a plan and none of these doubts or fears have made me question God in any way---I'm simply looking for some peace to an unanswerable question I guess:godisgood: .

PS---thank you to all for the prayers.

#5 moscott, May 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  6. moscott

moscott Member

It seems almost uncomprehensible to me, but I guess despite how vital this subject is, there are no passages in the Bible that deal with losing a loved one who is unsaved. To me I've always been able to deal with death in the past because I knew I would see them again someday. This not knowing is much harder to cope with. I've always been able to turn to the Bible for comfort regarding anything in the past---this time is different:tear: .