1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SEC Football

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by BroTom64, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Truthfully if I were a betting man I would not put money on either team. Player talent will not be the game changer tomorrow. Coaching and opportunity will be the biggest factors.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Bob, I'm not aware of what happened prior to Britton's citation which earned him the suspension I referred to.
    Do you have a source for this? I don't think there's any question that GA is worse than people let on. They have tons of incidents there. Someone I know down there says Richt has no control over his team. I didn't pay much attention til this year. I think you're starting to see a team/program that has lost its moorings there. I wrote a blog back at the beginning of the season entitled "Fulmerville." It's the place coaches live (like Fulmer and Tuberville). Coaches on the hot seat who are surprisingly there, but upon further reflection, are really there. Richt was my Eastern division resident. He is in real trouble down there, and you saw it in the firings this week. One more season of not meeting expectations there and he's gone. He gets an offer right now, I think he'll take it. He knows he'd have more time somewhere else than what he has at GA. Incidentally, Les Miles is my Western division guy. That's another story.
    Obviously I know more about current states at UT than FL firsthand. (I got my info about the Spurrier days from a pretty good source). I think Lanie is selective with his discipline. Nothing has yet surfaced to show why Jackson was given more leniency than Nuke or Edwards. I don't believe Jackson will be around much longer. Rumor going around is Urban is trying to convince Nuke to come to FL.
    To an extent. Remember, Johnny Majors won, but he rubbed the wrong people the wrong way, and was dismissed. And remember, Johnny Majors was Peyton Manning in TN before Peyton Manning. Jerry Green won in basketball, but rubbed fans the wrong way and was run out of town. Lanie's stock has dropped a bit thanks to his "No incidents" Clinton-speak. He isn't going anywhere for a couple of years unless he goes back to the NFL, which is IMHO highly likely. Lanie and Ron Zook could be good comparisons. We'll have to wait and see.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, I believe that came from Bill Davis' Bulldog( or bulldawg blawg) blog.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

It's rare you find two teams so close. A good case can be made for either to win.

The experts seem pretty much split...I think there's a slight lean to the gators.

Of course, turnovers will be huge, if they happen. Penalties could be significant. But I think the most telling stat will be time of possession. If the Tide is over 30:00...it'll be really tough for them to lose.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think any of that will be much of a factor. I think it will boil down to big plays and errors.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, that was an interesting contest. Very few--me included--ever expected a beat-down.

What a complete game by the Tide.

And I think there were two losses that absolutely killed the Gators...you saw what McElroy could do with time. Missing Dunlap was bigger than anyone said.

And I think the nail in the coffin might have been when Brandon James went out. I think psychologically, Florida thought, "Well, there goes our best "quick-strike" capability. I think that really affected them.

Mack Brown better come up with a doozy of a plan. He's got his hands full.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a beat down. Have to give 'bama the congrats. They won every part of the game. I still hate 'em... but I'll pull for them against Texas.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Bama just manhandled the Gators. I don't think they could've stopped Ingram and McElroy if they had five Dunlaps. FL's offense was woeful, and Tebow turned in a flop when it mattered most. I think they got exposed this year. Tim couldn't carry the team on his shoulders, so they just got spanked since the D was outschemed and out-executed.

I've heard five different media types say Texas will get blown out by Bammer. I'd hate to see that (I don't like Texas, but since I'm a real UT fan I can't wish Bama to blow out anyone). However, if the Bama that showed up yesterday shows up in the BCS title game, no one will play with them. I'd love to see Cincy play Bama, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Saban gets to earn his keep now...I think the mindset was easy for Bama against Florida, because they were slight underdogs. Now, they will be consensus favorites, and maybe big ones (considering it's 1 vs. 2, both undefeated). Saban's gotta work to keep their focus, and avoid overconfidence.

But y'know, he's not too bad at that.

I didn't know that Bama had never beaten Texas. Go figure.