1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Second Baptist Houston

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Magnetic Poles, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Most large Churches have small groups that they incorperate people into. We are not a large Church yet, about a 100, but we already have our small groups started and as we grow and get new member we assign them to one of the small house groups that meet weekly or bi-weekly. Groups have dinner and Bible study with the group leaders leading the study.

2. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay and heres the thing. Small groups etc dont cater to families. I have a 5 yr old that needs childcare and the church I attend does not have childcare for activities. Since I dont know anyone here I dont ask anyone to watch my son so I go to church where he has a Sunday School class and I come home and am in the word and prayer and devotional time daily. Alot of people dont get the situation I am in with a small child and a husband gone 90% of the time. So I live with the hand I am dealt. Yes there is a part of me that wants to go to a small group but then there is the childcare issue and so I just continue on with my personal bible study and attending services when my work schedule allows.

Those in small churches have the personal connection to the pastor, etc but there are alot more problems within the members. I have been there done that so to speak and do not want to do that again. Thats why I like being able to slip in to service and then slip right back out, my ministry to others is outside the walls of the church. I dont have to get personal with people who have no clue what I am going through.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

But wouldn't you admit that it would add to your life if you had that small group time with people your own age?

If churches do small groups right...you having a child would not be a problem. I have an almost 3 year old and a 1 year old, and I meet at my small group every Wednesday. There is child care. There needs to be small groups that have childcare...my church covers the childcare costs needed for all the small groups that need it. We have over 40 small groups, but obviously not all need childcare. But what I'm saying, is if a church is really small group driven....they'll do it right for any life situation. Maybe YOU are the person to get it going right in your church? It sounds like you have tons to offer with your life experiences and gifts. This is not only why you need others in that church, but they need you too.