1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Second Man Ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Ben W, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you considered fully the Role of Second man Ministry? That is in a large church where the Senior Pastor is assisted by an Assistant Minister.

Even in smaller churches there is a call for people to be in "Second Man Ministry". Which is simply supporting and working towards the Visions and Goals of the Senior Minister.

It can be an interesting position to be the Second man in the church. A position of authority, yet also not the top position. Yet one of the most vital roles in the church.

It does not seem to me that there are terribly many books and resources available on being the Second Man. This is something that I feel we should look at. Any ideas?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With more churches (even my ifb type) going to a plurality of elders, church would be wise to use a variety of men on "staff". This would enhance the ministry of the church en toto.

As a 55+ minister who is no longer a full-time senior pastor, I know of 3-4 churches that could use me for a few years to enhance the educational ministry. And others could use my son as a youth pastor.

"Second man" can be a wonderful position of ministry to the body and also assist the senior pastor.

3. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

in our church we have a senior pastor, a pastor and I am the intern. It has been a great opportunity for the pastor(formerly called associate pastor) and I to learn the ministry. It has been particularly great for me as I can not afford to go to seminary full time. I am learning the job of the pastor from the trenches and yoked to an experienced pastor(55 years in ministry and still going). I have heard that perhaps this is better than I could ever learn from a seminary.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I have been 2nd or sometimes 3rd man for all of my ministry. This is my calling, not just a circumstance of life.

It is this sense of a calling that keeps me going. It surely isn't the money, which is almost non-existent in my small church. Nor is it the appreciation. Many people just don't know how much work a second man does.

In 1996, Kevin Lawson of BIOLA University was working on a project regarding longevity in associate ministry. By a very large margin the main thing that kept people going was the knowledge of God's calling in life.This is probably true for Sr. Pastors, too.

5. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, I am intrigued by your statement. I am unaware of this happening, but welcome it very much. I spent 7 years with the Plymouth Brethren and really learned to appreciate the plurality of elders ministry. I have always thought that the lack of this in many churches was really a downfall and could actually prevent many of the problems that occur with a one man ministry. May I ask where you are seeing this take place?

6. Loren B

Loren B New Member

I had a very helpful course in college that was named "The Second Man"
    As most college graduates that start out in ministry do begin as 2nd Men or lower, I found it very profitable.
    I have been a Christian School Principal for quite a few years and this essentially puts me 2nd, 3rd or as in one case 6th or 7th man in the church.
    The roles are very important and it is important that those finding themselves in those positions understand their place in the line of authority.
    If I did not have the call to be in the position that I am in I would have quit many years ago. Pastoral changes can turn your world upside down in a hurry.